Heroin

Reconciliation

He thought he was alone, supported by a metal wire fence with the gate marked ‘Closed for the winter’ in old, peeling vinyl letters. The pool was deep and grey- no longer crystalline; leaves stolen from the frozen trees littering the empty bottom.

He thought he was there because there was simply nowhere else to go, but the reason was moreover fate than alienation.

He thought he was alone, for never had he intended to reconcile with an angel at the barren, forgotten pool sight, for that was what she seemed to be.

He saw her, with her white dress billowing at the pool’s edge. Her skin, her hair, her very presence was at once rejected from the scene. She was far too sterile for the grime of the grey autumn afternoon, all too pale and radiant to coincide with the dusty light that filtered through the clouds.

She merely stood there, facing the empty pit, the toes of her small white shoes barely gracing the concrete. She stood there stationary that is until she extended her arms, moving them first to the sides, then above her head, joining her palms together like the most graceful dancer. She bent her knees slightly and he was abruptly aware of what she was about to do. He was at her side suddenly, snatching her from the air as she attempted to dive into the water that had long dried.

She was motionless as he placed her feet back to the earth. Her face was down, hidden by ivory hair, as it whipped around although there was no wind. Then she spoke, her voice like the softest silk. “Why did you do that?” Her very words rendered him immobile.

“I c-couldn’t let you jump,” he managed to choke.

She moved her head to meet his eyes and he almost gasped when he caught hers, the two grand ebony orbs, framed by perfect white marble skin. Her face was a flawless statuette. “But I wanted to swim.” Her sweet voice turned his mind murky and incoherent.

“But there is no water.” He replied. Her eyes bore into him like nails.

“Is that truly relevant?” She asked. He was confused. She made use of his silence. “You saved me. Why would you do that? We are strangers. We could be enemies.” Her piercing eyes never left his.

“Everyone needs to be saved at some point,” he said, hypnotized by her splendor, “even if they are the villain.” He paused. “What is your name?”

“Is that truly relevant?” she repeated. “You focus so much on this reality. Could it be that I assume I have no name, as you assume there is no water?”

Her smile was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. He could not help but to feel as if he wanted to be the one to etch it into her statuesque features forever. “Who are you?” he asked. “Where did you come from?”

His heart ruptured as the smile dropped from her face. “I do not know,” she said. “I cannot remember.” A single tear leaked from her black oblivions.

“Can you remember anything at all?” He spoke quietly as if any louder sound would shatter this apparition.

Her lip quivered as she shook her head, finally breaking the connection between their eyes. “All I know is that I have always been here and I have seen many things.”

He took her hand softly, clasping it delicately in his own as if she were made of porcelain. “Perhaps you should stay with me.”

She smiled again as she looked back up at him and nodded, moving her lips close to his ear. “I always have.” She whispered as though no air left her lungs.

He thought that this was what he had been waiting for. He thought that for once someone would care, would understand. He thought that this mysterious girl was his beacon of light in the darkness that had unceasingly surrounded him for the longest time. But in truth, he had thought wrong, realizing this as he toppled backwards into the pool from her unintentional thrust, her pale hand slipping away from his as he fell.
♠ ♠ ♠
The story is actually called Heroin(e) .. but i wasn't sure if mibba would be thinking i was putting a tag in the title, so yeah.
Heroin(e) as in indicating the female hero and also the drug...if you catch my drift.

..read my other stories :)