Five O' Clock Shadow

Chapter Eleven

I parked my car fast and turned it off as someone opened the passenger door and slid in with me. "Wanna bite?" Mylo asked, holding out a chalupa from taco bell.

I didn't even bother to answer, I just glared at him and left my car. I felt his footsteps falling in step with mine.

"It's chicken," he taunted, dancing around me. "Or do you like steak?" When I didn't answer he huffed. "Ah, you're a vegetarian, then? I'm sorry but my chicken is no longer squawking, and it's vewy, vewy tasty."

"I'm not a vegetarian."

"He speaks!" he screamed, loud enough that most of the parking lot turned. I tried to quicken my pace but he had longer legs then I.

"So why don't chya want some of the yummy chalupa I'm offering' ya?"

"Because despite the fact that it's probably a night old, I'm really not craving Mexican fast food at 7:00 in the morning."

"It's 7:46."

I rolled my eyes and entered the school.

"C'mon cuz, why aren't you talking to me?"

"Because we talked so continuously before..."

"You've never ruthlessly ignored me."

"I'm not in the best of moods."

"You're saying that like it's a new occurrence," Mylo smiled.

I was not in the right state of mind to be dealing with the boy I had feelings for, right when I had made an oath to make my mother proud.

"I have a lot on my plate right now. Go away," I said, trying to be menacing. He giggled. Giggled?! What kind of almost senior in high school boy giggles?!

"Okay, tea pot. See you later!" he said, still giggling and running off to his next class.

Even though he was so annoying and peculiar and I wanted him to leave, I was still sad. I had the weirdest relationship with him ever. It was like I wanted him around and once he was there, I was telling him to go away.

Throughout the day depression hit me hard. Where was Dereck? After all my family had been through, how could he just leave? And why did he think he was being a better son by leaving? Although we didn't speak to him much we still loved him. We still wanted him around. He should know that leaving would only cause the family more heartache. During the first part of the day I was so angry at him, this selfish act had gone too far. But then it hit me, I was the reason he left. I dissed him, when he was so fragile. We were all depressed in my family, but it was mostly him. He had lost the most.

I hadn't seen Lucy all day and I was not looking forward to lunch. I was scared it was going to be awkward or she would still be crying. i wasn't expecting to see her laughing and flirting with other boys. That's what I got.

"Tea pot!" Mylo exclaimed as I sat down, and brought everyone's attention to my confused face at Lucy. She saw I was staring and blushed, then waved. I waved back and smiled. I was happy she was happy.

"Why do you call me tea pot?" I asked Mylo as I took a bite into my sandwich.

"When you get all steamed up.." he sang.

"Ah," I said, wishing I hadn't asked.

I spent lunch answering questions I couldn't hear. My brain had gone on hiatus but my body was still responding. About halfway through lunch I noticed that no one was talking to me anymore. It was like they'd all dealt with this before and didn't know what to do. The only people who would occasionally glance over were Mylo and Lucy. Lucy noticed me looking and mouthed "What's wrong?" but I just shook my head. Then she mouthed "Dereck?" and I nodded. She frowned as I mouthed that everything was okay. How could she find it in her to care about me when I had just broken up with her? She was like an angel on earth.

I walked out of the cafeteria early to get to my locker before the bell rung. As I walked I felt a presence creep up behind me.

"Did you do the math homework?"

Shit. "Crap, no."

"Wanna do it now? We have like fifteen minutes. I'm good at it," Mylo beamed.
♠ ♠ ♠
everyone is a fan of taco bell,eh?