Immortality Carcinoma

.003

“Charlie, wake up girl, come on, wake up…” A corpulent, Nordic male pinched the girl’s cheeks softly, pouring red liquid down her dry throat. The disheveled immortal coughed and spat out the fluid, cringing at the metallic tinge it left in her mouth. Red stains formed amoeboid shapes on the sterile, turquoise tiles.

“Dammit, Sky! You know I hate this crap!” Charlie hissed while squinting towards the source of the bright light that was washing over her face, hurting her brains. She made a sudden, swift movement with her hand and knocked out the annoying neon lamp, much to Sky’s expectations. No lamp had ever survived Charlie’s outbursts on the operating table.

“You really should reconsider planting these hell-lights somewhere higher up the ceiling.”

Sky smiled and went back to tending to his comrade’s wounds. The tracking device planted in her neck helped him locate her, but it had to be taken out ASAP. The silver nitrate that used to pad the device’s junctions with Charlie’s backbone had started to leak due to the force of impact she had suffered. The bite marks, where another kind of venom entered her body, were long gone from the surface of her skin, their vile consequences now etched much, much deeper into her flesh, never to be noticed.

Charlie’s face contorted in pain as the scalpel dug deeper around the red glow beneath her skin. Burnt epithelia sizzled against the stainless steel blade as the deadly nitrate started to leak harder. Charlie clutched onto the white sheets beneath her, cursing under her breath and biting into her lip with her sharp canines.

“Ah… There she is… My beauty…” Sky sighed contently as a small, blood coated gadget emerged from the back of Charlie’s neck, dripping red all over the loose strands of her hair.

“Ah, Skylar, could you show less affection towards that thing? And why does it have to contain silver nitrate? I feel like a time bomb with that in my body.” Charlie scoffed and stood up, freshly bandaged and already healing, glaring at the gore-clad state of the art technology held in between the male’s fingers.

“Because that’s the only thing keeping it stabile, Charl, you know it, and you have your Berettas, I have my gadgets.” Skylar replied and cleaned the steel device with alcohol while Charlie stood up and sniffed angrily, remembering the loss of her precious coat.

“Yeah, well, you’re gonna have to get me new ones, my babies are gone. Bloody bloodsucker.”

The handsome male smiled, a few grays by his temples shimmering in the strong light. Metal clattered as Charlie kicked at the nearby cabinet with her bare foot. A brand new attire waited for her on it and she let go of the sheet wrapped around her body with no shame at all – Sky had been to her nude rescue far too many times. The fact that he’d still steal a look or two while he thought she wasn’t watching didn’t really bother her either. Nothing wrong with that.

The skin tight jeans complimented her muscular legs perfectly as she slid her feet into a pair of high-heel boots and covered her naked torso with a black blouse. Charlie glanced at her comrade in confusion while he smirked and neared her gingerly, ready to omit any blow that might fly his way.

“Wow, you almost look like a lady.” Sky complimented and caressed her cheeks with his cold, rough hand. His black eyes glimmered with affection towards the creature before him. Charlie gazed at him with slight discomfort, but smiled nevertheless.
“Sky, where’s my leather? And boots? I can’t kill in this, you know.” She cringed and raised her leg nimbly, but barely, in the restraining jeans.

“I know, but you can’t go on and meet with the coven-master in your combat garments.”

“Why not?” The youth asked with a cheeky smile. She didn’t care for authority that much. Charlie knew what her job was and was doing it right. Not because that was expected of her, more from selfish and self-satisfactory reasons. “I don’t like him.” She added and started to undo the black silken blouse. Sky stopped her hand and shook his head.

“This is different and you’d better leave now. He’s expecting you upstairs at the mansion.”

Charlie glared at the older male and gave in, her pointy nose scrunched up in a small bruised mass. Her face healed slowly, eyes returning to their natural amber shimmer.

“It had better be worthy.”

The crisp night air nibbled on her cheeks as she emerged from the confinements of the main headquarters and sat in her car, folding the top down to feel the cold winds ghosting past her. Holding onto the steering wheel tightly, Charlie pushed the gas pedal harder against the floor of the car, accelerating the posh sports car to its maximum. The vast outlines of the mansion faded behind her. Charlie wasn’t the one to respect authority, and it was getting more and more obvious with her every deed.

The car suddenly stopped underneath a bridge of sorts and she scrambled out of it, kicking off her stilettos and opening the trunk, taking a seat in it to slide into her combats again. The blouse was off, replaced by a black top and a bulletproof vest. A backup semi-automatic Sky had adjusted for her would have to do – she holstered it around her thigh and put on her coat.

Dawn was showing its face in a slow pace, but there was still enough time to take out at least a dozen of them. Charlie gave a vicious smirk and sat back into her car, pushing the pedal again, her trigger-finger already itching.

She knew something was bound to stop her. She felt too well. Her hand flew to her phone.

“What?”

“Where are you, Charlie?” A timid female voice asked. Charlie frowned and swerved the car to avoid running over a hole in the decrepit concrete of the old part of the city.

“Out, obviously.” She spat and cast a glance in the rearview. “Tell him to stop tailing me, I’ll pull over for fuck’s sake.”

With that she hung up and stopped the car at the first place she found suitable. The black Jag, which had been tailing her from the very start, stopped as well, its ignition throttling to silence. Charlie took her keys out as well and got out of the car, slamming the car door a bit too hard. Her face cringed in thought of the pain her baby must have felt.

Her face took on a blank expression as the figure dived out of the darkness around them with a frown on its royal features.

“I ought to have you killed just for disobeying a direct order,” the imposing male threatened as he neared her.

“If you had the guts to do it, I’d be in the Pit by now,” Charlie commented and leaned against the hood of the fancy car. The look of disinterest was so deeply etched into her delicate features that she appeared a statue in the lightening atmosphere around them.

“There was a reason I wanted to talk to you, you insolent brat.”

“Yes, I’m sure it was really important, Blaine, but I’ve better things to do right now. Did you even notice the number of the vampire bounty hunters recently?”

“You mean, there’s a price on your head yet again?”

“No, this time it’s the whole coven, you…” A frustrated sigh left her lips once she bit her tongue in order to keep her head on her shoulders.

“The bastard tried to follow me, but they obviously don’t know about the whole transformation thing, because he got distracted as hell once I changed.”

Blaine growled under his breath and licked his canines slowly, staring ahead of himself, right through his subordinate. The treasure she was and he couldn’t have her.

“Stop changing in front of them, Caine.”

Charlie’s hand flew towards the elder’s face instinctively, her face shifting and taking on a murderous look, sharp incisors cutting into her lower lip on both sides.

“Don’t call me that. Ever again.”

“I know the truth, my little cold spawn.”

“It means nothing. I’m just as worthy a wolf as everyone else, regardless of my past.”

“I’m willing to forget about it… You know the terms.”

Blaine’s fingers traveled over her cheekbones, stopping on her lips while his eyes never left hers.

“You disgust me.”