Sequel: Hope

Purple Hearts

Where Is She?

Tre woke earlier than usual, the sun was starting to come up and so he decided that he would make the most of the day, and get up. He had guests in the house after all and decided that he’d get up and make them a wonderful breakfast of waffles, bacon, eggs and toast. Franky could also do with a good breakfast to start the day he thought as he got up and went to the window to open up the curtains.

Glancing out he could see Milton at the bottom of the garden just sitting forlornly by the gate.

Silly dog thought Tre, Franky must have got up and let him out during the night and obviously he hadn’t wanted to come in when she’d called him. Tre shook his head as he grabbed his robe from the hook on the back of the bedroom door. Franky must be tired he thought as he left his room, she’d never leave Milton out all night, she’d always hang around waiting for him until he’d finished his business.

**

Julia could hear someone going downstairs. She stretched and yawned at the same time, remembering that she was on holiday and was going to make a point of enjoying herself. She was dying to do some sightseeing, she wanted to cook for Tre and his family too, she had some great recipes up her sleeve to do, like a kind of thank you for having them here. She was sure she was going to enjoy it here, Tre was good company but only one thing was bothering her. She was concerned that Franky hadn’t told her father that she was pregnant, she’d try and get to chat to her later and persuade Franky that it would be for the best, she was sure Tre would understand, he seemed a kind of understanding guy. She pulled her robe out of her suitcase and opened the bedroom door to the marvellous smell of breakfast cooking.

**

Ramona and Emily woke at the same time, the smell of the cooking breakfast under their nostrils. Emily had been upset because Franky had taken ill and Ramona had suggested that she share her room for the night, just to keep her company. This pleased everyone and Tre was proud of his daughter for acting so grown up and mature.

“Morning,” said Ramona glancing over at Emily.

“Hi,” said Emily.

“Did you sleep OK?” asked Ramona who was quite sure that Emily had slept well; she’d fallen asleep almost immediately.

“I did, this bed is so comfortable, the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept in.” She said, and it was.

“We didn’t get to chat much last night, I can’t believe that you are one of Green Day’s true fans, I mean a proper fan. I’ve only met a couple but I’ve never actually held a conversation with one. Sometimes I don’t believe that so many young girls can like my Dad,” she said then rolled onto her back to look up at the ceiling. “I mean, he’s quite old,” she said glancing over at Emily.

“I don’t think people see him as old, he’s talented, they all are.” Emily said. She knew the Green Day guys were quite a bit older than her but she never really saw them like that, she just liked the music and…well…Mike, but that was different.

”So, whose your favourite? You must have a favourite, I bet its Uncle Billie, most young girls like him,” Ramona said.

Emily blushed.

“I knew it,” said Ramona rolling onto her side and sitting up on her elbow watching Emily. She liked Emily; she was kind of normal, a bit like her really. She was expecting either some stuck up little brat or some kid who only went on about Green Day and Uncle Billie but Emily seemed quite grown up and not star struck at all. She liked her immediately and hoped to spend loads of time with her while she stayed here. It was ideal, someone of her own age to go about with.

”Its not Billie,” said Emily, her face still bright red.

“Please don’t tell me its Dad?” Said Ramona who laughed but not vindictively.

“Its Mike. He’s my favourite,” said Emily who had stopped blushing and thought she just may as well get on and tell Ramona. She still couldn’t believe that she was lying in the same bedroom as Tre Cool’s daughter and was having a conversation with her; quite a normal conversation that she could have been having with any of her other friends back home. She’d known that Ramona was going to be staying here at the same time and she was so scared about meeting her because she hadn’t seen any photographs of her anywhere, only a couple when she was really young. She was so very like Franky. She had a slightly different build, not as small boned as Franky but they had similar colouring. She’d like Ramona immediately and had wondered why she’d been so worried.

“Uncle Mike. Of course, Uncle Mike is great, I love him so much. Of course he’s in love with Jen and she’s tons better than that Anastasia. Don’t get me wrong, Anastasia was all right but…he’s so much happier with Jen. Did you know they were having a baby?” she said.

”No, really, when?” said Emily. This was news; this news hadn’t hit the websites yet.

“I’m not sure, I think she’s only got a little tummy so quite a few months away, Uncle Mike is obsessed with her, I think after Sammi died he was so shocked he worries that the same thing could happen to Jen. They were sisters you know.”

“Yeah. I know. Franky’s mum was very beautiful wasn’t she.”

But Ramona turned and lay on her back looking up at the ceiling again.

“Yes, she was and I feel awful but…I used to be a little bit mean to her. When she got together with Dad I acted a little jealous. She was beautiful and kind and was so nice to me but I threw it in her face. One day we had a little chat and told me that I’d always be Dad’s daughter, nothing would change that but that she loved him very much and she also knew that Dad loved me very much and couldn’t we just be friends. This was when she had found out she was dying and it was all very sad in this house. I felt dreadful and I always regret being mean to her. Dad never mentions it but I think he was ashamed of me a little back then. Sometimes I wonder if he’ll ever meet any one else and if he did,” she said turning back to Emily, “I’d never be mean to her, not after what happened before.”

“I’m sure your Dad understands but it must have been hard for you, him finding out he had a daughter and she being older than you.” Said Emily feeling that she could ask anything.

”Yeah that was hard too but once again Franky is so nice it’s hard to be jealous for long and she sort of understands. Actually its quite nice having an older sister, but I just wish I lived here all the time, there’s always something going on, not like at home with mom. Anyway, you’ll love Uncle Mike when you meet him, he’s so cuddly and kind,” she said but stopped, noticing that Emily had blushed again.

“Have you got a boyfriend?” Said Emily.

“No but there is someone I like but I don’t think he knows I exist, not in that way,” said Ramona and this time she blushed.

“Oh, do I know him?” said Emily.

”You sort of know of him, but you don’t know him, well, not yet anyway,” said Ramona. “Its…,”

But her confession was interrupted by a knock at the door as Tre poked his head in.

“Breakfast is ready, there’s loads to eat,” said Tre.

“Coming Dad,” said Ramona getting out of bed and grabbing her robe, “shall I go and wake Franky,” she said.

”No I think we’ll leave Franky to sleep as long as she needs,” said Tre, “I’ll make her something special to eat once she gets up.”

**

Charlie too was woken by the smell of the breakfast then his next thought was of Adrienne, then concern for Franky.

After meeting his new friends last night he caught Franky going to bed and she called him into her room, he remembered the conversation clearly.

“You look worn out Franky,” said Charlie. Franky got into bed and he sat at the bottom, watching her draw the blanket up and over her, snuggling down.

“I collapsed at the charity event and I went to hospital for a check up,” she said. “They told me I’m anaemic, they also guessed I was pregnant and told me that they’d like to take a scan to take a closer look at the baby…or…babies as the doctor thought I might be having.”

“Twins?” said Charlie. “Oh my god, that’s wonderful, twin babies, how fantastic?” He said.

”Yes but I didn’t expect that,” said Franky.

”Would you like me to come to the hospital with you.” Said Charlie.

“I couldn’t ask that of you, and I’ve…I’ve also told someone else,” said Franky looking wide eyed at Charlie.

”Who, your Dad?” He said hoping that she’d come to her senses and told him.

”It was Julia.” She said. “Well, actually, Julia guessed.”

“Right but you need to tell your Dad and I really think you need to say something to Gerard, he should know by now too, you are marrying him after all,” he said.

He watched Franky turn away, she was hurting and confused and he didn’t know what to do. He was glad she was going to the hospital but she was so determined to go alone. He wished she’d just let him go with her, some company but knowing Franky, as stubborn as she was she’d just do what she wanted anyway.

“I know, may be after the scan, then I can show him the picture of his grandchild or grandchildren, whatever,” she said but he knew she was frightened but didn’t know what to do for her, he could only make suggestions, at the end of the day it was up to her.

She yawned.

“Right, you need to get some sleep,” said Charlie getting up and going to her, he bent and kissed her on her forehead.

”I’ll come if you like, let me know tomorrow, sleep on it,” he said. “See you in the morning.” Then he turned to go out the door.

”Thanks Charlie,” said Franky. “You’re such a good friend, I’m glad you ended up coming to California, you’re right, I’ll make my decision in the morning,” she said then he watched as she closed her eyes and went to sleep, Milton, her dog jumped up onto her bed and settled down next to her.

But now as he lay awake he was still worried, he’d not slept well. He thought he’d heard Franky get up during the night but couldn’t be sure, there were so many people staying in this house at the moment he didn’t want to get up, especially if it was Julia. His relationship with Julia a couple of years ago still hung in the air, he’d liked Julia but he was so young but now, all he could think of was Adrienne.

He was going to find out how everything was with her. Was she back with Billie or not? Was she hoping to get with Tre?

He needed to find out because he wanted to do something about how he was feeling about her.

Getting up, he grabbed his robe from the bedroom door and headed down for breakfast.

**

They were all in the kitchen when he got there, the noise level was quite high, Tre was busy making waffles and Julia, Emily and Ramona were at the table, eating and giggling at Tre and his usual antics.

“Morning,” he said as he entered.

”Hey, Charlie boy, I’ve just made a new batch of waffles, want some?” said Tre turning to him. He was wearing an apron that had a bra and pants set printed on it and Charlie couldn’t help but laugh at this guy who’d made him so welcome.

“I’d love some Tre, thanks,” he said joining the girls at the table.

“Right,” said Tre, “you guys finish this little lot up, I’m going to wake Franky up now and then cook something for her, won’t be long,” said Tre as he left the kitchen.

**

“Has anyone seen Franky this morning?” said Tre coming back into the kitchen.

Everyone turned to him, frowning and they all said a no in unison as they continued eating their breakfast.

“Well she’s not in her room,” said Tre, going over to start clearing up the mess he’d made earlier.

”May be she went over to Gerard’s late last night,” said Julia.

“She was asleep in her own bed when I left her,” said Charlie, “I went in for a chat and she seemed so tired I couldn’t imagine her waking up and going over there.” He said.

“May be she got up early this morning, perhaps she didn’t want to disturb us and has gone to visit him,” said Ramona.

“Possibly,” said Tre. “I’ll call him up, just to check that she’s there.”

Tre left the kitchen and went off in search of a house phone. “Why is there never a phone handy when you need one?” he shouted half angrily, this comment obviously being aimed at Ramona who was constantly on the phone to friends, leaving the house phones distributed around the house in various places.

Milton was scratching at the back door to get out into the garden.

“Milton,” said Ramona, “what is wrong with you this morning? Dad’s only just let you back in,” then she thought, “yeah, right, want to go and see your girlfriend do you?” she said.

They all laughed.

”She’s not there,” said Tre. “I woke Gerard up, he sounded dreadful, he said he’s not seen her,” he said. Tre was frowning.

Then Julia wondered if Franky had visited the hospital early, Charlie was thinking the same thing.

“How about we try her mobile?” said Emily.

“Yeah, I’ll try it,” said Ramona getting up from the table and leaving the room.

Julia thought that this would be a good idea for her to help clear the kitchen mess up and make them all a cup of coffee.

“Julia, sit down, I can make you a coffee,” said Tre.

”No, I insist, you sit down, you’ve been busy all morning and I’ll make you a coffee but you’ll have to tell me how you like it,” she said.

“Quite strong,” said Tre sitting down at the table, “and a couple of sugars would be great,” he said. His mind was with Franky thinking how strange it is for her to get up early, she hadn’t managed to get up and out of the house early for ages.

“Her phone is switched off,” said Ramona coming into the kitchen.

“Hey I was just wondering,” said Julia hesitating slightly, “she sort of said that she may have to go to the hospital today for another blood test, it was nothing to worry about, they just wanted to see how she got on over night. She didn’t want to stay there so they…they kind of agreed that she could go back some time today for them, perhaps that’s where she is,” said Julia hoping she sounded convincing. She was surprised that Franky hadn’t left a note for her father to explain something, especially as she didn’t want him finding out.

“Oh,” said Tre who looked so disappointed Julia thought as she handed him his coffee, then she felt awful giving him information that he possibly should have known.

“I don’t think its anything to worry about,” said Julia, “it’s the hospital just following procedure and I bet you anything she just didn’t want to worry you, that’s why she didn’t say anything,” said Julia.

”You’re right,” said Tre, “she is eighteen now after all, there must be things she’s not going to tell me,” said Tre taking a drink from his coffee.

Yeah, like she’s pregnant thought Charlie and Julia at the same time.

**

An hour had passed and still no word from Franky. Tre was concerned, he’d gone to her room, he thought he’d make her bed for her, open up the curtains and open the window to let some fresh air in. Also to get away from Milton who was being a nuisance. One minute he’d wanted to be let out of the house into the garden, the next he was scratching to get in. Tre had decided to leave the door open so that he could come in and out as he pleased but he seemed restless.

But as he tidied Farnky’s quilt he noticed her phone on her bedside, so she hadn’t taken it after all and her car keys were sitting there too. So she hadn’t taken her car, how the hell did she get to the hospital then?

He was confused, he felt apprehensive but wasn’t sure whether to voice his concerns, and everyone would think he was crazy.

He’d wait until everyone was dressed and ready, and then see how the situation was. She hadn’t taken her car or her phone.

So where the hell was she?

**

Julia entered the kitchen and saw Tre looking out into the garden. All was quiet.

”Are you OK?” she said to his back.

Tre turned to Julia. He looked worried.

”I’ve called the hospital, she hasn’t been there at all this morning. I’ve called up Adrienne and they haven’t seen her, neither has Mike or Jen. I’ve called Gerard again and she hasn’t shown up there. Hannah and Ed are away for the weekend and James was at Gerard’s and he hasn’t seen her either. Where is she Julia? This is so unlike her,” he said.

“Tre, I don’t know,” she said going over to him. She put her hand on his shoulder. “There must be a simple explanation, I’m sure she’ll be back soon and you’d have been worrying over nothing.”

“You’re right, lets have another coffee, and Billie and Mike said they’d call round soon.”

“It’ll be good to meet them,” said Julia her stomach getting butterflies at the thought of getting to meet the rest of the band. She felt for Emily then, she was going to meet her hero.

**

Billie was pacing up and down Tre’s living room, everyone was anxious. Adrienne, Julia and Jen were in the kitchen making yet another round of coffees, Emily and Ramona were in the garden trying to occupy Milton as he was getting on everyone’s nerves.

“Where do you think she could be?” said Adrienne as she put some mugs out onto a tray.

“I’ve no idea,” said Jen. “Has Gerard called back?”

“I don’t think has,” said Julia. She was amazed at how these two women had taken to her and treated her as if they’d known her for years. Should she confide in them and tell them about Franky being pregnant? She was nervous, she didn’t know what to do suddenly, was Franky’s secret appropriate right now? Would Tre hate her for not telling her about it? Where the hell was Franky? One moment she thought that everything was fine, that Franky was just somewhere close by and they would hear her key in the door any moment, the other she was worried. What on earth could have happened?

**

“Billie will you sit down?” Said Mike. He was wondering why on earth Billie was so anxious. Charlie and Tre looked over at Billie, both knowing why he was so anxious, it was unmistakable that he loved Franky and they both also realised how the hell that Mike hadn’t realised.

“I just…wonder where she could be?” said Billie doing as he was told and sitting on an armchair.

“I think I’m going to call the police,” said Tre.

“What?” said Mike. “Isn’t that a bit drastic Tre?” he said.

“May be, but its nearly 4pm, she hasn’t been around all day, no word from her at all. She’s not well either. I’ve rung the hospital and she still hasn’t been there. Where the fuck is Gerard anyway? He’s meant to be engaged to my daughter, he should fucking be here,” said Tre.

”You want me to drive over and get him?” said Charlie, needing to get out for a moment, just to get away from the situation that was making him anxious. He too didn’t know what to do. Should he tell Tre that Franky was pregnant?

“Yeah, I think he should be here, may be he knows something we don’t.” said Tre fucked off that Gerard hadn’t even called back to see if his daughter had been home.

“I’ll come with you,” said Billie.

“Have these first,” said Adrienne coming into the room. “Have these then you and Charlie go and get Gerard, hopefully, by then she’ll be back and we can all laugh about this. I’ve just called up Joey but he hasn’t seen her either, he’s been over with Ellie.”

“Where the fuck is she Adie?” said Tre looking at Adie then remembering how she was with him the other night, things had changed for him now and he felt embarrassed.

She sensed this.

“Who knows, may be she told one of us what she was going to do today and we’ve just forgotten,” said Adie.

”Yeah, I hope that’s it,” said Billie reaching for a coffee.

“Julia’s making some sandwiches,” said Jen. “She’s a lovely lady, I really like her.”

“Yes, I do too and Emily and Ramona get on, I think it will do Ramona good to have someone her own age here.” Said Adrienne.

”Yes, they’re very nice people,” said Tre getting up off the chair.

”Where are you going?” said Adrienne.

”To help Julia,” he said. “I need to be doing something.”

**

“Thanks for doing this,” said Tre looking at Julia.

”Its no problem, I’m glad to help. Listen, Tre, I found this over by the CD Player. I read what was on it…I…I didn’t realise.”

”Oh. Yeah. The CD that Billie made for Franky, they had a thing a while back, Billie admitted to me that he loved her and I found this in the CD player. Its fantastic, Billie’s voice is great on it.”

“We’re just going to get Gerard,” said Billie popping his head around the door. Tre wasn’t sure if he’d heard his conversation about the CD or how much he’d heard.

”OK, yeah, see you in a while,” said Tre sadly and wondering if his friend still loved his daughter or whether he’d moved on. Judging by his reaction he guessed he still loved her and he didn’t know how he felt about it. She was engaged now to Gerard, her time with Billie more than likely forgotten.

As they carried the sandwiches through to the living room the phone rang, Tre placed the plate on the coffee table and ran to the phone.

”Hello,” he said and hoped he’d hear Franky at the other end, instead he heard a muffled voice.

“I have your daughter, she is safe but I want you to do as I tell you or you won’t be seeing her pretty face ever again.”