Sequel: Hope

Purple Hearts

Telling Tre

Tre was lying on the sofa. His leg felt so much better after Julia had been giving him the painkillers. She’d been so good to him and he was enjoying the attention she was giving him. She had this great sense of humour and knew how to cheer him up. Then he felt awful because she’d hardly had much of a holiday since she’d been here.

He promised to himself that when he felt a lot better he’d take Julia out and show her the sights.

**

“You OK?” said Julia. She was making up a tray of breakfast things for Dad as I came into the kitchen. She was so good to him, so good to us, I was glad that she was here.

“I think so. Listen Julia I’m going to tell Dad this morning, all this kidnap business has made me realise…realise that I should have told Dad, he should have been the first person I should have told and then…I’m going to tell Gerard, I didn’t realise how stupid I’ve been.”

“You’re doing the right thing you know. I’m taking Emily out for a couple of hours but I shall have my phone on me if you need me at all, here,” she said handing me the tray with orange juice, toast, bacon and eggs and a cup of coffee, all for Dad.

“Thanks Julia, you’ve been great you know,” I said then I walked into the Living Room to tell Dad.

**

“Hey, you’re up early,” said Dad trying to sit up.

”Is that still painful?” I said to him but knowing that it was I was just saying something other than saying what I had to say.

“Very but Julia has these marvellous painkillers that really help. She’s been great you know,” said Dad sitting up and putting the breakfast tray on his lap.

“Yeah, I know,” said Franky sitting down opposite him.

“You not eating anything, have a piece of toast,” said Dad holding out a piece of toast for me. I took it, I didn’t really want to but I just took it.

He took a gulp from the orange juice and hungrily started on his breakfast.

“Dad can I…talk to you about something?” I said to him nibbling at the corner of the toast, my heart pounding fast suddenly.

“Hmmmm, course you can honey,” Dad said his mouth full of bacon.

“Its about something I should have told you sooner. Something I found out about but have been worrying about for some time. I was…scared to tell you.” I said hoping that would soften the news. He was going to be disappointed in me, I knew it.

“What is it sweetheart? What have you been worrying about?” he said.

I didn’t want to worry him, he’d been through so much.

“I’ve got some news, I don’t think you’re going to like it but I’ve made my decision about it.” I said. This was so hard.

“What is it?” he said, staring at me, waiting for me to speak.

“I’m pregnant.” I said, I whispered it I think, had he heard me? Did he look disappointed?

He took another drink from the orange juice.

“I thought so.” Was all he said, he was looking at me now.

“What?” I said, confused. Had he said he thought so?

“I thought it was something like that, I was convinced of it. The way you’ve been lately, the tiredness, the not eating properly. I…sort of guessed.” He said.

Then he smiled.

“I’m guessing you’re keeping it.” He said.

“Of course,” I said.

“So…am I allowed to know who the father is?” he said putting the tray aside now, obvious his appetite had gone. I wonder why?

“I don’t know myself.” I said.

“What?” said Dad.

“I don’t know who the father is.” I said getting up and going over to the window and taking a look outside at people going about their normal daily business.

“Oh,” said Dad. I think he was embarrassed and I couldn’t look at him.

“I’m going to have to tell you and this is hard for me, I’m so embarrassed about it but it could be one of three people,” I said.

But he didn’t say anything.

I turned to him and he was reaching for his coffee.

“Oh Franky, come here,” he said and I went to him and snuggled tightly into him while he put his arm around me and kissed me on the top of my head.

“Do you want to know who the father is? Is that possible?” he said.

“I don’t think I do, I think its best that I just pretend its someone that I met in England, that’s the story that I was going to tell you. Oh Dad I’m so ashamed.” I said crying now.

“Hey, don’t be ashamed, these things happen.” He said. “As long as you’re keeping yourself well and healthy and eating and sleeping properly, that’s all that matters. I’m here for you Franky, anything you want and I’m here. You know that,” he said. And I knew he was, he’d always been there.

“I need to have a scan, they think it may be twins. If it is Dad, I’m going to need your help.” I said getting up off the sofa feeling awkward.

“Of course you’ve got my help, you’ll always have it but how about you get me another cup of coffee, this ones gone cold,” he said to me handing me the mug then winking at me. I knew then, as soon as he winked at me that everything was going to be all right, he’d be behind me and he’d support me.

I shouldn’t have doubted him.

“Oh and just one more thing,” Dad said as I was about to leave the room.

I turned.

“I’m guessing Billie is one of the three,” he said. Just like that.

I just nodded.

**

I decided I’d call up Gerard. Now he was the one that needed to know. I’d called his number a couple of times but his phone was switched off, now all it was doing was ringing and ringing, where was he?

**

Billie was in the waiting room waiting for Gerard. He’d brought him to this rehab place to try and get him off the drugs before he married Franky. He’d had to bring him because he wasn’t sure he’d bring himself. He was in there now, being spoken to about all the wrongs that drugs could do.

Billie just hoped it would work.

Suddenly Billie heard a phone ringing from Gerard’s pocket. He took it out and noticed Franky’s name pop up.

Franky.

He only had to pick up and he’d hear her voice but then she’d wonder why he’d answered and he didn’t have any explanations.

Twice more she rang and he just stared at the name. Franky calling.

He was desperate to speak to her.

**

“At last,” said Franky as Gerard answered the phone, “you’ve been busy.”

“Yeah, I left my phone at home, I’ve just been out looking for some…some stuff to decorate the bedroom for when you move in here with me.” He lied.

“Really?” said Franky.

“Yeah, hey, you coming over later?” He said looking forward to seeing her but hoping she wouldn’t guess where he’d been.

“Of course, there’s something I want to say.”

“Oh is there now,” he said.

“Yes but first of all Gerard, our wedding, can we please do it soon. The sooner the better,” said Franky.

“Oh my god, of course we can,” said Gerard. “How soon are you thinking? A few months time?”

“How about a few weeks time?” said Franky.