The Virus Of Life

Nine.

Image

"Come on Ben don't splash" I told my nephew as he sat in the bath splashing water all over the bathroom.

He simply replied with a giggle.

"You need any help?" I looked behind me seeing Gerard standing there.

I shook my head, "I don't know if it would just be easier to get in with him and wash him" I sighed as Ben sprayed water on me. "See what I mean?"

Gerard let out a small laugh as he shrugged his shoulders. "Whatever you thinks easier" he replied.

"Yeah, but don't you think it's a bit weird me getting in with him?" I asked scrunching up my face.

"I hardly doubt he'll know what's going on and I don't know if I want his tiny hands all over my wife, only my hands to get to touch it" He told me smirking as he paused and looked to Ben "You hear that little guy!?!" He told Ben in a funny voice.

I rolled my eyes, "Wheres Sam?"

"She's downstairs watching the telly" my husband replied.

"Well I'm gonna get Ben out and dry him then put him to bed" He nodded his head before he left the bathroom. "Come on Benny" I said gently to him as I pulled him out of the bath pulling the drain to let the water run out and placing him in a towel.

After ten minutes of running after a naked Ben around the house and finally managing to catch him, I placed him in his cot to get to sleep. I walked downstairs to see Samantha watching some cartoons on the telly with Gerard.

"Sam, you gotta go to bed" She nodded getting up from her seat.

"Will you two tuck me into bed?" She asked Gerard and I.

"Yeah come on" Gerard replied to her question as he held her hand and followed her up to her room with me following.

We watched as she hopped in the bed, already in her pyjamas. We both smiled softly as she hugged her toy that Gerard and I had brought her at the toyshop today, a small cuddly lion. Ben got a furry panda.

"Uncle Gee?" Samantha asked in her small childish voice.

"Yeeah"

"Will you sing me to sleep please. I find it hard to go to sleep, and Mommy or Daddy usually sing me to sleep and you are in a band" I laughed at her comment.

"Okay"

"Don't sing anything about vampires Gee, she'll get nightmares" I joked to Gerard.

"Oh yeah please" Samantha said in a cheery voice. I cringed regretting having said anything.

"I'll tell you what, I'll tell you a story about a friendly vampire" He told our niece as he sat down on the end of her bed.

"Oh yeah please" She repeated again like earlier. I decided to listen in on the story and joined Gerard by sitting on the edge of the bed.

After ten to fifteen minutes Samantha had fallen asleep. "I think she's sleeping now, don’t you?" Gerard whispered to me, I nodded my head feeling tired myself. We both left the room turning the lights off behind us.

"I gotta go clean the dishes" I whispered to Gee as I closed the door behind me.

"I did it while Sam was watching her cartoons" He replied as he grabbed my hand leading me to the bedroom. "You need sleep and I need sleep. Looking after kids is exhausting"

I nodded agreeing with his statement, "I know"

After we had both changed into our pyjamas we just lay in bed falling asleep to the sound of silence that our house was in, but would return tomorrow when our niece and nephew wake up.