That Rapturous Feeling

Let The Wind Blow Where It May

Laren sat fidgeting in her seat, twisting her fingers and tapping her feet uncontrollably. Locks of hair swished gently across her vision, bright pink seeming subdued. Her mother's eyes bored into her, she could tell. She'd only been here a week, for God's sake. Was everything her fault? Well, screw that.

She stood suddenly, chair on the brink of falling back, teetering on its centre of gravity before swinging back down, hitting the backs of Laren's knees. It didn't matter. Barely hurt. She stormed out, ignoring the intense gaze still coming from the kitchen table. Out the balcony doors. A few running steps before jumping onto the frosted glass and black metal railing. She paused for a moment before flinging herself off the twentieth story of the massive apartment building, right in the middle of busy New York.

Wind stung her eyes, but there was no more hair obscuring her vision. She couldn't hear a thing but the wind's rushing passage, but she could see in detail the cars driving along the road. Traffic jams frequently stopped up the road, but not tonight.

Bright lights flashed past, advertisement billboards and apartment lights blinding together into a confusing blur. Laren smiled slightly, almost a smirk, before angling her body so she aimed straight down, arms pressed against her sides and legs stiff, headfirst and still plummeting towards traffic and earth and hard, unforgiving asphalt.

And then she couldn't stop it anymore, the joy was too absolute, and Laren snapped open her strong, dusky wings and caught the air around her, swiftly turning upwards and soaring without having to take a single beat. When she did start, it felt as if her heart and mind could explode. Imagine people who couldn't feel this! Life wouldn't be worth living. Air flowed through her feathers like liquid, parting to let her through. With each beat of her wings, Laren was pushed higher and higher, until she was over everything. She could see the buildings and the lights, the roads and their load of vehicles, the water around everything.

And Laren was alone in the sky, where no-one could touch her. Her mother had tried to rule her life, but no-one had cared before and Laren wasn't about to let them. After all, for the whole of her life except the past week no adult had thought her capable of even intelligent conversation, and she was starting to doubt this week as well. Well, why argue now? People didn't need speech; they needed flight.

Laren relaxed herself and let the wind blow where it may.