Dance With Me in This Rain

The Words "Best Friend" Become Redefined

"Miss Bella, will you tie my shoe?" Four year old Bethany Mason asked, as she stretched her leg out in front of me, showing her untied sneaker.

I smiled warmly at her. "Sure, Beth." I knelt down to her level and tied her pink laces into a small knot.

"Thank you," She said politely before walking away to where all her little friends were, sitting on the floor. The girls played with dolls while the boys played with plastic fire trucks.

I rubbed my forehead and stuffed my hands in my jeans pockets, staring absent-mindedly at all the children.

No matter how much I tried, I couldn't erase the events of what happened yesterday from my mind. I know what I did was completely stupid. I mean, did I seriously have to walk out of there like that?

Jeez, it was just a dare. A stupid, childish, incredibly awkward dare.

Kissing Tom was by far the last thing I thought I would ever have to do. I never thought of him as more than just the obnoxious friend from Tokio Hotel.

That stupid kiss would screw up our already screwed up friendship. Perfect.
Just oh so freaking perfect.

I began walking, still in thought, when suddenly I tripped on one of those baby blocks that have letters on them.

"Fuck," I hissed, as I picked up the block from the floor.

Suddenly, I heard a laugh come from behind me followed by a male voice. "It's not ladylike to swear, ya know."

I spun around, face to face with the last person I wanted to see. Or even expected to see in a children's environment.

"What are you doing here?" I said coldly.

Tom looked a little taken aback by my tone but shrugged it off, clearing his throat. "I think...we need to talk."

I raised an eyebrow. "Look, if it's about yesterday, then don't even bother."

Tom frowned, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Please?"

"Can't you see I'm busy?" I snapped.

Ok, maybe that was a little harsh.

"Bella, don't be like that. Don't avoid me." He sighed.

"I'm not. I really am busy, Tom." I picked up the rest of the baby blocks from the floor and threw them in the nearest plastic toy box.

Tom shrugged. "Fine." He turned around and walked over to a couch, sitting on it.

I stared at him weirdly and went over to him. "Um, what are you doing?"

"Waiting." He replied casually.

"For what?"

"Well, you said you're busy. So I'm just gonna wait for you till you're done."

I opened my mouth to say something, but surprise! Nothing came out.

"I...you...ugh, fine! I leave in 20 minutes. Just stay right there and try not to scare the kids." I sighed.

Tom smirked. "Okay."

I walked away, eyeing him suspiciously from over my shoulder.

Seriously, what was this kid up to?

Twenty minutes flew by so quickly. While I was helping the children put on their coats and their backpacks, I glanced up and saw Tom sitting patiently on the couch, as he read a magazine.

"Bye Miss Bella! Bye Miss Clara!" The kids yelled as they all left with their mothers. Clara, who had been helping me with the children, waved at them.

"Bye!" We both called.

"So," she said, turning to face me, "Who's the guy?"

My head shot up. "Oh him?" I said, looking at Tom. "That's just Tom."

Clara nodded. "Your boyfriend?"

I snorted and began clearing the small tables, throwing away the empty glue bottles and crumpled papers. "Of course not."

Clara's eyebrows knitted into a V shape. "Why not? He's hot."

I raised an eyebrow, shaking my head. "Just cause he's hot doesn't mean he's my boyfriend, Clara."

Clara shrugged, helping me with the cleaning. "Whatever. I just assumed he was your boyfriend, considering he's been sitting on that couch for the last 20 minutes. Obviously waiting for you."

I bit my lip but didn't say anything.

After clearing everything, I slipped on my From First To Last hoodie and grabbed my bag. I said my goodbyes to everyone before walking slowly over to Tom, who was still reading a magazine.

"Hey. I'm all done," I said quietly. Tom looked up from the magazine and grinned. He then threw the magazine on the small coffee table and got up.

"So, wanna go to the park? I mean, to talk?" He asked a bit nervously, his chocolate eyes boring into my green ones.

I shrugged. "Sure."

Tom smiled. "Great. Let's go."

We both made our way out the school and towards a fancy-looking black car that was parked right across the street.

"Nice car," I said.

"Thanks. It's a rental." Tom laughed a little, as he opened the door of the passenger's seat for me.

I cocked an eyebrow. "Um, thanks?" I said, before getting into the car. I wasn't quite sure how to react to this sudden 'mannerly way' Tom had going on.

Once Tom was in the car, he started it up and we were off. I had my bag on my lap and looked out the window while we rode in silence. I felt Tom's eyes lay on me every once in a while, causing me to shift in my seat awkwardly.

"So...judging by your hoodie, I'm guessing you're into hardcore rock music?" Tom eventually broke the silence.

"Um, yeah." I replied quietly, still looking out the window.

Tom nodded and fixed his eyes on the road again.

Awkward situations suck.

"Do you play any instruments?" He asked ten seconds later, clearly trying to loosen the tension in the car.

Why the sudden interest in my life?

"Yeah. Guitar."

Tom's mouth formed a smile. "Really? I've never seen you play. Come to think of it, I've never even seen a guitar at your place."

"That's cause I keep it in my closet." I shrugged. "I don't play anymore."

"Why not?" He asked.

"I just don't have the time."

"Oh." Was all he said before turning his full attention to the road.

The rest of the car ride went silent. But the silence was a little different. It wasn't that awkward anymore. But I wouldn't call it a comfortable silence either.

__

"I'm really sorry," I heard Tom say almost in a whisper as we walked through a small path in the park.

I looked at him. He had his eyes looking straight forward, rather than at me. I guess this was just as uncomfortable for him as it was for me.

"It's not technically your fault," I replied, kicking a small rock.

Tom furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean?" He asked.

"Well, Gustav was the one who made up the stupid dare. I say we kick his ass," I joked, trying to lighten the mood. I succeeded. It made Tom laugh.

Wow. This is really weird. Me and Tom actually hanging out in a park, talking.

Like normal human beings. I didn't think that was ever possible.

"So we're cool?" Tom said, looking at me expectantly.

I looked at him, a smile creeping up on my face. "Yeah we are."

Tom grinned toothily. Even though him and Bill were identical twins, they still seemed to have their differences. In my eyes, at least.

And yes, I know their major difference was in their completely opposite fashion sense. Tom's grin was more...well, Tomish and Bill's grin was more like a little kid's. You know, when you give a kid candy and they grin at you like you're suddenly their biggest hero.

"What are you looking at?" Tom questioned, snapping me out of my thoughts.

Crap. You've been staring at him for too long, Bella! Just be cool.

"Oh uh...nothing. Just your grin." I mentally slapped myself.

Tom raised an eyebrow. "What about my grin?"

I shrugged and quickly looked away from him. "It's different than your brother's, that's all."

Tom slowed a little in his tracks. I looked at him weirdly.

"Good different or bad different?" He asked.

I bit my lip. "Good different, I guess. I mean, it's cool that you guys have those tiny differences that nobody else notices, you know?"

Tom smiled. "Oh, so you notice our tiny differences?"

"Yep."

"Tell me some," He said, stopping suddenly in the middle of the path.

I too stopped in surprise, wondering why he wanted to know.

I cleared my throat. "Well, you and Bill have different personalities, I guess. I mean, not entirely different, just a little." I stated, pushing some hair back behind my ear.

Tom nodded. "How little?"

"I think people can already tell that Bill is the sweet and romantic type of guy and you're more like the I-don't-give-a-shit-about-what-people-think-of-me kind of guy. I mean, that is what the magazines say."

Tom looked deep in thought. I stared at him, trying not to laugh. He looked really funny.

"I'm not like that, ya know." He said in a serious tone.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, those stupid magazines will tell you just about anything. About 80% of everything they say about me is a lie."

"Oh, so you didn't have sex with 25 women when you were 15?" I questioned with a smirk, raising an eyebrow.

Tom's eyes widened a little. "That's all bullshit. Besides, even if I did, I wouldn't be stupid enough to count all the woman I've been with," He replied, crossing his arms over his chest.

I nodded, laughing a little. "I get it."

"You do?" He questioned, almost in disbelief.

"Yeah. Listen Tom. I know I'm not famous or anything, but I do know that almost all those magazines lie about people. And with you, it's no different. I know you're not some crazy sex addict...a-are you?" I looked at him suspiciously, making him throw his head back and let out a loud laugh.

"You know what, let's change the subject," He said and began walking.

I followed, laughing silently. "Ok. So what do we talk about?"

Tom made a funny face, in thought. "I don't know. You pick a subject."

I shrugged and shoved my hands in my pockets. "Why were you always so mean to me?"

I guess my question must've caught Tom by surprise, as he slowed down and finally came to a hault. I did the same, looking at him expectantly.

"W-what?" He stuttered.

Tom Kaulitz stuttering? Now that's a first.

"Why were you always so mean to me?" I repeated. "I mean, a while after I met you guys, you seemed cool. But then, I don't know, things became different. You changed."

Tom looked down at his feet and mumbled something I couldn't quite make out.

"What?" I said.

He mumbled something again, which was still incoherent to my ears.

"What did you say?" I asked.

"I was jealous, okay?!" Tom spat. My eyes widened a little as I stared at him confusingly.

"Jealous? Of what?" I asked intriguingly.

Tom shrugged and continued looking down at the ground. A few people walked passed us, which I think might have been a thankful distraction to Tom. He obviously felt extremely uncomfortable at that moment. And you know what? So did I.

"You were jealous of what?" I asked quietly, trying to search his face for answers.

He sighed. "My brother. You."

Oh crap.

I felt my face heat up and my mouth slightly open. "W-why?" Was all I managed to say.

Tom sighed. "I was jealous because I thought I was losing him. I thought I was losing my brother to you. And maybe because everytime we come to the city, all Bill does is talk about you and hangs out with you." He inhaled deeply. "And it's like you guys are always with each other and I know that Bill will tell you stuff before he tells me."

I swallowed the large lump that had formed in my throat.

Tom was jealous of me and Bill? How could he, I mean, sure we were close. But that was because we were best friends. And nothing more. How could he think he was losing his brother to me?

"Tom...I had no idea you felt that way. I'm-I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like you were losing Bill. I would never purposely come in between brothers, especially twins."

Tom shook his head. "Don't apologize, Bella. It's not your fault, seriously. I was the asshole to you all this time." He frowned.

He then stood there in complete silence, the wind blowing across his face.

"You never lost him." I said quietly. "He's your brother and your best friend, so who am I to stand in the way of something like that?" I sighed.

"You're not in the way of anything! Bella, don't even think that. Look, I'm the asshole, remember? I'm the one who's been annoying the shit out of you and I apologize for that."

Tom looked serious. I don't think I had ever seen him this serious.

And without thinking, I smiled. "You look ridiculously funny when you're serious, did you know that?" I laughed.

Tom shook his head, and began laughing silently. He knew I had forgiven him.

We began walking again, the bright sun shining down on us. Tom and I had never spoken this much to each other, and whenever we did, it was only because we had a cruel remark about each other up our sleeves.

I kind of liked what we were having.

"You know Tom, you're not as stupid as you look," I said.

"I could say the same thing," He answered, with a wide grin.

We shared a laugh that I never thought we'd ever share.

"So, we're friends now, right?" Tom asked, lifting his head and glancing over at me.

"Well, I don't know the exact definition of what we are, but I'm sure it's something along those lines."

Tom chuckled and shoved me a little.

"Hey!" I squeaked. "What was that for?"

"For being Izabella Moore." He grinned, sticking his tongue out at me.

"Not funny, Kaulitz. You stole my line."

Tom just shoved me again, making me stumble sideways and knocking into some random guy who was passing right by us.

The man looked at me like I had two heads and walked away, swearing under his breath.
I shot Tom a murderous glare. His eyes widened as he let out a scream and began running away from me.

"You better run like the motherfucking wind, Kaulitz!" I yelled, running furiously after him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Your cold pale skin and tainted purple lips
Let me embrace you with this kiss
And together we'll float like angels
Together... together we will float like angels.