Dark And Light

Changed Lives

Maddy was pacing. Pacing up and down Mia’s living room. What the fuck had she got herself into here? She was meeting Mike Dirnt this very evening and she didn’t really want to. Well she did want to but she was so nervous and scared, how could she be herself? She couldn’t be herself because she was now pretending to be her sister.

She felt sick all of a sudden. What the fuck have I got myself into here? She thought to herself once again.

*

Mia sat watching TV at Maddy’s house. Well her parent’s old house and nothing had changed much; the décor was so old fashioned why hadn’t Maddy done any alterations? She knew she would if she were living here; she’d have ripped that old fireplace out, painted the walls wonderful colours and bought a new three-piece suite by now. Instead, all Maddy had done was cover the suite in throws. Still, it was comfy enough, this old sofa thought Mia lying back on the sofa, reaching for the remote and changing channels on the TV, looking for that movie she wanted to watch. Flicking around she found a music channel. She hardly listened to any music, had hardly ever bought any CDs but something familiar about the guys on the TV in front of her made her hesitate before she changed the channel to something else.

Sitting up she realised that she recognised one of them. It was the guy who she’d met the other night and the other two, both with heavily made up eyes, they were there too, one was drumming the other singing while the good looking, lean tall one played his guitar. He was good looking, very good-looking but it was Maddy that was going to meet him, that very night because it was the guy from the club, Mike Dirnt.

Suddenly Mia wished that may be they should have left it a few days before they’d swapped roles but the decision had now been made and she was living Maddy’s life for a few weeks. No harm would be done and she was sure that once this Mike bloke realised he’d have a good laugh about it and when Maddy went back to her old life it would leave the way clear for her. He was so good looking, why hadn’t she noticed this that first night when she’d met him.

Mia made a note of the band name and decided that once she’d watched the movie she was waiting for, she’d look this Mike Dirnt up on the computer, see what she could find on him.

*

Maddy hoped she’d made the right decision. She’d emptied Mia’s entire wardrobe of clothes before she could decide what to wear. She wore black trousers and a little black top. She felt safe in black, always had. She’d braved Mia’s make up bag and took one glance in the mirror. There was no black eyeliner in Mia’s make up bag and Maddy wished she’d brought her own. There was a charcoal grey colour instead and Maddy admitted to herself that it suited her much better than the black. She applied a tiny bit of lipstick, as pale as she could find and now she was ready.

A car horn sounded outside and she glanced out of the window. The taxi was here and it was taking her to him. Suddenly her nerves were gone for some reason. She was going to meet her crush of the last five years, Mike Dirnt of Green Day but for some reason in her mind she didn’t want to tell him about being Mia, she wanted to be herself, to be Maddy and tell him of her own life and her own business.

This was her chance.