Sequel: Keep Me Guessing

Just Say Anything

Chapter Three

Image

It's my seventeenth birthday today, my parents have already called to wish me a good one as has my sister. I am pretty sure my aunt and uncle have planned a small party for me with the help of Jack; to be fair, I have been getting along with his friends fairly well. At least Brie and Kara in any case, also Alex, who even though is really sexual and forward, is totally nice to me, and Rian who also been nice. Zack on the other hand, I haven't really said anything to him directly, nor as he said anything to me. Truthfully, I am starting to wonder why, even if I don't want to get close to him, I want to know.

"Happy birthday Addie," someone said softly, opening my door. I glanced up and saw my aunt Michelle. "Do you mind having a small get together for your birthday?"

"No," I said honestly, "I don't mind."

"Well come on," she said with a smile. "Get up, get dressed, your uncle and I have a few presents for you."

"Aunt Michelle, you and uncle Dan didn't have to get me anything."

"Of course we do sweetie," she scoffed. "You're our family. Jack got you something too."

"I told all of you not to!"

"Did you honestly think we would listen?" she laughed. "Now get your butt ready and downstairs."

"Okay, okay," I grumbled. "I've been ready for the day since ten Aunt Michelle, it's noon now."

"That is true," she remarked, "You get up early Addie, your mom used to do the same thing."

"She still does. So does my dad and Faye too."

"Your mom did tell you their presents for you are on the way, right?"

"Yeah, I was told that they will get here soon."

Jack and uncle Dan were sitting on the couch watching Independence Day, I'm assuming it's going to be on for the next few days because today is July first. They looked up at me and said "happy birthday", which I smiled at and returned a thank you. Nobody had seen me before this time today, my family had called my cell phone and when I went to take a shower no one had been up yet. While my aunt went to go make lunch, my favorite, bacon sandwiches, I sat down next to Jack and began twiddling my thumbs.

"Everybody is coming over in a few hours," he said loudly, right in my ear.

"Jack, I'm right here, no need to scream."

"Sorry!" he said in an over exaggerated whisper. "Anyways, they're coming over in awhile and are expecting cake and ice cream, what is your favorite type of ice cream?"

"Rainbow sherbet," I said. "And chocolate cake since I know what that is what you were going to ask next."

"Oh my God," Jack squealed. "Dad! Addison is psychic!"

"I worry about you sometimes Jack-o, I really do." Uncle Dan muttered.

"Mom, dad worries about me!" Jack called.

"I do too honey, don't worry." She called from the kitchen. "Lunch is ready, so come get it!"

Uncle Dan and Jack were the first two in the kitchen, trying to get sandwiches from aunt Michelle, but she warded them off, telling them to back off, I get first pick. Hardly ever did I eat that much and today was going to be no different; I picked the smallest sandwich possible and let Jack and my uncle fight over who got the biggest one, in the end, uncle Dan prevailed and we were left hearing Jack whine about wanting that sandwich. I knew my aunt as looking at me curiously, I'm sure thinking that I might be starving myself, which is so not true.

"So, I think it is time to give Addie her presents," my aunt grinned. "Including the ones her parents sent."

"They came?" I was shocked that they were already here, my parents must have sent them out days ago so they would be here for today.

"They got here yesterday," Uncle Dan told me, "I'll go get them, make yourself comfy."

"Okay," I laughed. "Jack what did they get me?"

"Addison Sophie, you're going to open them in like five minutes."

"So, I told you not to get me anything anyways, I think it's fair."

"Well, my lips are sealed."

"For once."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked, lisping slightly.

"You always tell secrets Jack-Jack," I laughed. "Like when we were seven and I still lived here? You told Henry James that I loved him."

"How did you remember that?" he marveled.

"I have a very good memory." Too good of one if we're being honest.

"Here we go," Uncle Dan said, showing up out of nowhere, "Now, you're parents' and Faye's are on the left, they wanted you to open them last."

"Open my first!" Jack cried.

"Which one is it?"

"Oh, hold on." He said, running upstairs to his room I presumed, returning with a small present. "Here it is!"

I unwrapped it and found two CD's, Boys Like Girls and then an album by All Time Low, "You guys have an album?"

"Yeah, it came out earlier this year…"

"Well, thanks Jack!"

My aunt and uncle didn't give me much, to my pleasure, I hate people doting on me, just like how I hate people to feel sorry for me. Although, they didn’t get me much, they did get me an expensive digital camera, which I protested about, of course, they won the argument, leaving me to grumble about how it was too expensive. Other than that they got me a book and a tee shirt. I thanked them graciously before opening the presents from Faye and my parents. Faye got me a gift card to Hot Topic and my parents got me a new pair of Nikes, a headband, and lastly, an iPod. I had been bugging my parents for one since they came out and I finally got one, in hot pink.

"I'll have to call them later," I said smiling, "They'll be home around nine our time."

"Okay dear," aunt Michelle said, "Why don't you go put music on your iPod while Jack goes to get the cake and ice cream?"

"Okay!"

For the next couple of hours I sat in my room putting music on my iPod and reading the book I had gotten. I listened to the All Time Low CD Jack had given me and found it really catchy, I didn't even know Jack played in a band before I got here, let alone have an album out. My aunt knocked on my door to tell me that everyone was here.

"Happy birthday!" They all shouted when I walked into the room.

"Thanks," I said quietly. Every time I was around them I automatically got quieter.

"We come baring gifts!" Alex said, smirking.

"You didn't need to!" I protested.

"Well we did," Brie said. "And you're going to like them."

"We all got you something," Rian said.

"All of you?" I said. "You couldn’t have just pitched in to get me a twenty five cent gumball or something?"

"What kind of people do you think we are?" Kara asked. "You only get a gift like that if you're Alex."

"Hey! Rian your girlfriend is being mean."

"Good for you Kar!"

"Anyways," Zack said. "You're in our group now. You get all the perks, like coming to our shows and birthday presents."

"Here," Brie said, shoving a horribly wrapped present at me.

I unwrapped it and laughed. "Thanks Brie." She had gotten me a shirt that said OMG WTF?.

Next was Kara who gave me a pair of earrings, then Alex who gave me a shirt that read All Time Low HOE on it, and Rian who gave me a gift card to FYE music. Finally there was Zack who was looking around nervously. He handed me his present and I unwrapped it and found a plain silver charm bracelet, with a charm in the shape of a present.

"Thanks, I said," smiling at him. "It's really nice."

I was surprised that the guys and girls didn't start teasing him for his choice of gift but didn't think to much of it. I tried to put it on but was doing a horrible job. Zack stepped over closer to me and clasped it on, brushing my hand lightly I felt a slight tingle in my arm as he touched me. Hopefully the blush didn't come and let everyone see me at a time where I felt vulnerable.

"Happy birthday to you," My aunt came out carrying a cake and singing. The lights were turned out so all you saw was the glow of the candles. Everybody joined in on the singing. "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Addie, happy birthday to you."

"Make a wish Addison," My uncle said.

I thought for a moment before blowing out the candles all at once. While my aunt was cutting the cake Alex was pestering me to tell him what I wished for, but I wouldn't even give him a hint of it; I just told him my wish wouldn't come true if I told him. He pouted for a moment until he got a piece of cake and a scoop of ice cream. I was eating my cake and I snuck a look at Zack to see him eating a piece to, his eyes focused on me, he turned away quickly when he noticed me looking at him and I saw a blush creep up into his cheeks.

"So Addie," Brie said softly. "You like Zack don’t you?"

"What?" I asked shocked.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter makes me smile.
I'm sure you can guess why?
The first person to comment and guess correctly will get a surprise!

xoxo
Allison