Sequel: Keep Me Guessing

Just Say Anything

Chapter Four

Image

A day after my birthday I am sitting on the couch at Rian's house next to Brie watching the band practice. I had never answered Brie's question about whether I liked Zack or not and I know she noticed, she wanted me to admit it, but I couldn't. The boys had just finished recording a full length album, The Party Scene which in my opinion is much better than their EP The Three Words to Remember In Dealing With the End which was put out last year. As the last notes of Circles were played my phone began to ring the guys nodded telling me to answer, they didn't mind.

"Hello?" I asked, not bothering to check the number.

"I'm going to get you, bitch," a voice hissed. One that I could never forget. "I got out for good probation, two months early and I'm going to make you pay."

Tears poured down my cheeks and he hung up. Sobs escaped from my throat and within seconds Jack was by my side while everyone else hung back worriedly, but not wanting to get in something that might be personal.

"Jack, he got out Jack!" I wailed. "He said he's going to get me!"

"They let that fucking bastard out of fucking jail?" he asked incredulously.

"I don't mean to be an ass or anything," Alex spoke up. "But can someone tell us what is going on?"

"It's up to Addison," Jack said. "But I don't think now is the time."

"They're going to find out anyways, Jack," I said through my tears.

So I started my tale from beginning to end, how James had been nice and loving, the perfect guy, the one all the girls wanted. How it was perfect for two months, I was on cloud nine, happy that he had chosen me out of all the girls in school. As time wore on he began to get angry, violent, about the stupidest of things. The first time he hit me was three days after Christmas because I had showed up to his house twenty minutes late. After that he would hit me, smack me, kick me, over anything he got angry out, like I was his punching bag. Then in February, it happened on Valentine's day, he wanted more from me, he wanted to get inside me and I didn't want him to. He hit me so hard that I blacked out for awhile. When I woke up he was on top of me, raping me. It went on for awhile more and he threatened to kill me if I told anyone. I wasn't able to talk to my friends anymore because he felt that I would tell them what he did to me and because of that I have problems opening up to people. Then on April second, my dad's birthday, James had driven me home for his party, and he got angry when I said that I would probably be too tired to call him that night, I was out of the car already, and he turned it off and came around to me. He smacked me to the ground and began to kick me, I heard the front door open and I saw my little sister standing there in horror, screaming for daddy. My dad came out and punched James, my mom called the police. How James went to jail for rape on multiple accounts and the beating of me.

"That bastard got out?" Zack exploded after I told them my tale. "Why the fuck would they let somebody like him out of jail?"

Brie and Kara clucked sympathetically and patted my arm. Jack looked pissed off and sullen. Rian had a look of horror masked onto him. Alex was angry, confused, sad, all mixed into one. But it was Zack's face that caught my attention, he was looking at me in a way so indescribable, in a way that made me feel protected yet scared, happy but sad.

"Yeah," tears were still falling. "They let him out early."

"There's no way he'll know you're in Maryland though," Brie pointed out. 'You're from where, Washington, right?"

"Addie, even if tries to get near you," Rian said, "We will make sure he never sees outside prison walls ever again."

"We have to tell my mom and dad." Jack said. "And yours. Can we call this practice quits early?"

"If we said no, you would have to lock us in prison!" Zack said. "Do you honestly think that we're going to make you stay and practice when something like this happens?"

"Thanks Zack." I said softly.

Jack and I rode home in silence but you could practically hear his anger seeping out of his thoughts. Unfortunately, neither my aunt or my uncle were home from work, but I knew that today my mom had the day off because it was a Thursday. Jack sat next to me supportively as I dialed her number and waited for her to pick up.

"Hey baby, what's up?" my mom said.

"Mom," I said shakily. "They let James out."

"They did what?"

"James is out of jail." I said again. "He called me today."

"That little fucker!" she yelled. "Addison, I want you to change your number. I also want you to get a restraining order from him. Is Michelle or Dan there with you?"

"No, they're working. I'm here with Jack."

"Okay, Addie, when Michelle or Dan get there, tell them to call me, okay?" she said.

"Yeah mom, I'll be sure to do that," I said quietly. "Tell daddy and Faye I said hi too, will you?"

"I will Addie, be careful okay? Tell Jack I love him!" she said. "Love you too, bye."

"Bye mom."

"What did she say?" Jack asked.

"I need to change my phone number and get a restraining order against him."

"That's a good idea," he said. "Come on, I'll take you to get your number changed but you'll have to wait for my mom or dad to get home for the restraining order."

"That's fine."

We rode to the mall in silence. We walked to the kiosk in silence. My number was changed and we came back home. In silence. Neither of us were sure of what we should say, so not saying anything seemed like a safe bet. I went up to my room when we got there and sat on my bed, thinking about things, good and bad. If James was out of jail, I really didn't want to go back to Washington, where he will find me. I stayed in my room for the rest of the afternoon and I assume that Jack was doing the same.

"Hey, Addison Sophie," Jack called.

"What is it Jack-Jack?"

"The guys came over to see how you were doing." He opened my door and came to sit next to me on my bed. He was concerned I could tell, I have gotten good at reading people. "If you don't want to see them, that's cool, I'll just tell them something."

"It's okay," I told him softly. "I'll come down."

"Okay," he said slowly, "You don't have to if you don't want to."

"I want to Jack."

Moments later I was walking down the stairs and saw everybody in the living room. Brie sitting on Jack and Kara on Rian; Alex talking to someone on his phone; and Zack, sitting there quietly. They all looked at me when I came in and sat down on the floor and Alex, got off the phone.

"You don't have to sit there you know?" he said cockily. "There is room on the couch with Zack and I."

I had only known him for a work week and I already knew he wouldn't give up until I sat down on the middle cushion of the couch.

"How are you doing?" Brie asked me caringly.

"Better, considering…" I said to my lap. "Can we please talk about something else?"

"Yeah," Jack said. "Wouldn't it suck if aliens took over the world?"

"Jack, honey," Brie said. "I like you and all, but if I hear a question that starts with "wouldn't it suck" one more time for awhile, I am going to hurt you."

The room erupted into a laughter with the exception of my soft giggle. The clock on the mantle claimed that it was seven and I knew my aunt Michelle and Uncle Dan wouldn't be home until late because they went out for dinner. I kind of just sat there as everyone else chattered away, I felt so tired, I wanted to pass out. Just for a little bit I closed my eyes and I began drifting off to dreamland, still semi-aware of what everyone was saying.

"Dude," I think it was Alex. "Addie's asleep."

"She had a rough day Al," Jack pointed out.

"Shouldn't we wake her up and tell her it's okay if she goes up to bed?"

"I don't want to wake her…"

I was going to say something but I realized that I was too sleepy to be able to make words form. "I'll take her upstairs…where's her room?"

"The one next to mine Zack, you sure?"

"Jack, she probably weighs less than what I bench." Gently somebody lifted me up. "Scratch that, she is lighter."

I felt myself stir and I opened my eyes when we were out of the living room.
"Zack?" I murmured.

"Hey, you can go back to sleep."

"Okay."

I remember snuggling up to him and being put on my bed but when I woke up again I was in my own bed. I didn't wake up on my own, Jack was shaking me gently. It was dark outside so it must have been late.

"Addie, you need to eat," he told me, "You haven't all day."

"The guys and I ordered pizza and they're still down there, it's only been an hour, but I want you to eat."

"Thanks Jack," I muttered taking the slice of cheese pizza. "Cheese?"

"Yeah, Brie heard you telling my mom you were vegetarian," he said. "No big, Alex is too. So is Zack."

I ate the piece of pizza he gave me and then fell back asleep. Today was too long.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Cheyenne so rudely woke me up this morning.
Well, around 11:50, but still.
I was having a dream about Jack Barakat.
Man was that a great dream!!!
Anyways comments are fantabulous, please do so!

xoxo
Allison