Sequel: Purple Hearts

Cherry Lips And Tattoos

The photograph

The photograph was of Adrienne. She was having sex with some guy. A blonde muscular guy with darkly tanned skin. It definitely wasn't Billie Joe.

Oh my fucking god. Franky quickly took the photograph from Pam's bag and left the room with Milton following close behind her.

She went to her room and was dumbstruck. Adrienne has been having sex with someone other than Billie. She felt sick. Who was this guy? Should she tell Billie? Did she mention it to Adrienne? Oh fuck. She got upset then, upset for Billie and upset for the fact that she loved Adrienne and Billie and Adrienne had done this. They were such a good couple and the children.. oh my god Adrienne. What have you done? I don't think I should mention this to anyone. I'm going to have to keep Adrienne's secret. What if she loved this guy and left Billie? Oh my fucking god.

***

Once Pam had gone Tre went off for a round of golf with Mike. The doorbell went and there they all were at the door. Franky had forgotten about the band practice.

"Hey Franky," said Hannah. "You OK".

"Fine. Can I speak to you in private later, after the practice?" she whispered.

"Sure" said Hannah.

"Hi Franky." said James coming in the door and giving her a peck on the cheek. He looked a little sheepish.

"Oh hi James, Ed" she said as Ed came through the door.

"Hi" said Ed who was not one for many words. The guys headed off to the basement.

"Is something bothering you?" said Hannah looking over at her friend

"Oh nothing much. Just something I need to share with someone, just something about my dad."

"Oh." said Hannah putting her arm round her and wondering what the hell she had to tell her about Tre.

They all headed off to the basement and Franky got out all her songs and they all had a good look through them.

"I think we need to choose about 15 or 20 songs that would be suitable to make up an album," said Franky. "What does everyone else think?"

"Yeah I agree," said James

"Yeah but how are we going to agree which songs out of all of these? They are all so wicked Franky," said Hannah

"They're amazing Franky" said Ed. "You're real talented. I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to song writing."

"Hey I like this one," said James.

He showed me the song I wrote after mum's funeral. "Oh that one. Actually, that one is one of my favourites too." I say.

"Well we have to use that one then," said Ed.

James put it to one side.

"How many have we got in the 'definite' pile now?" said Hannah

Franky counted. "Thirty." she said.

"Oh shit." said everyone.

**

"You win again," said Mike to Tre taking his final swing at the ball.

"Of course I win," said Tre. "I'm Tre Cool." He laughed.

"Hey Tre?" said Mike.

"Yes dude," said Tre

"Has Billie said anything to you about Adi and him at all lately?" said Mike

"Like what?" said Tre.

"Oh. I don't know. It's just something that Jen mentioned to me the other day. Are they having problems do you think?" he said.

"What? Adi and Billie, no way. Surely not" said Tre looking up at Mike. "But come to think of it they've been behaving a little odd lately, especially Adi. She's so quiet like there may be there is something bothering her. And Billie's face looks a lot like shit when I've seen him lately. I do hope they're OK," said Tre.

"Yeah. Jen said she's going to try and get to the health club and meet up with Adi a little more to see if she can see if anything's wrong. She's convinced something is wrong with them."

"My god." said Tre. "They've been together like forever. I hope nothing comes between them," he said to his old buddy. "Billie loves her so much and she loves him doesn't she?"

"Who knows?" said Mike.

Later... at Tre's...

"Hi guys". It was Dad and Uncle Mike back from their game of golf. I went over to them and gave them both a hug.

"What are you guys up to? Said Tre. "I've brought Mike over as he hasn't heard your band play yet."

"Hi you guys," said the lovely Mike coming into the room.

"Hi." everyone said. I looked over at Ed. He was now face to face with his idol, Mike Dirnt. I wonder how he felt about that. He looked a little flushed. Awww I loved Ed and in fact I suddenly realised I loved all my fellow band members. Suddenly I felt really close to all of them and realised that this must be how dad, Billie and Mike must feel. I felt very protective of them and I also felt that we could conquer the world if we stuck together and I really wanted to. I really wanted to conquer the world, it was an awesome feeling.

"Come on Franky," said Dad. "Not daydreaming again are you?"

"No, just thinking about my band members. I love you guys. We can do this," I suddenly said to them and we all got emotional and they all came over and we all group hugged. It was a lovely moment.

Mike cleared his throat. "I hate to break up a moment guys but, get the fucking instruments out, I'm desperate to hear you play," he laughed.

Just then the doorbell went. "I'll get it," said Tre bounding off upstairs.

He brought back Billie Joe. A vision of Adrienne with the blonde guy flashed through my mind. Poor Billie.

"Hi you lovely guys, I'm just in time to hear you play again. Come on, get on with it. I wish you'd hurry up and get a record out then I could put you on my ipod and listen to you any time I want." he laughed.

"Oh shut up Billie," I shouted going over to the drums.

We played our little hearts out as usual and Mike was really impressed. He was not one for a lot of words but when he did you knew he meant it. He was so sincere and said we'd got something too.

"Hey if you want to get serious with this" said Mike. "You're going to need a good manager," he said.

"Are you offering Uncle Mike?" I shouted from the drums.

"Well.. er... actually." he said.

"Go on Uncle Mike, please, we'd love you to manage us. Pleeease" I said.

"Well how can I refuse you?" he said.

Everyone cheered.

Dad went off to get some drinks and Hannah offered to help him. You do have it badI think to myself.

Ed and Mike were chatting away and Mike was taking a look at Ed's bass and Billie was thoughtfully looking through the piles of songs that were all over the floor.

"Franky?" Said James suddenly.

"Yeah?" I said looking round at him.

"Would you like to go out again some time?" he asks.

"Oh James," I sighed. "I'm not sure." His face fell.

"Look, don't get me wrong" I said "but.. do you really think it's a good idea with the band and all?"

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Lets not let our friendship get in the way of a relationship that might not go anywhere. Then things would be awkward. Lets just be real good friends. You'd make a great mate and band member but I'm not sure about boyfriend material, especially if.. especially if there is someone around that you like more. I think you need to get Lucy out of your system."

He didn't answer.

"You changed when her name was mentioned at the pizza parlour," I said to him.

"Did I?" he looked surprised.

"Yes you did. I think you still have Lucy baggage."

"Maybe." said James.

"Of course you do. You need to sort that out before you move on. Why not call her up and see how she is? You need to get on with your life either with Lucy or without her."

"I know you're right," said James. "Come here and give us a hug fellow band member," he said jokingly. "Yeah may be you do make better friend material than girlfriend material," he said. I playfully smacked him on the arm.

I hugged him then and it felt good. Everything was OK between us.

Dad and Hannah came in with the drinks then. She looks flushed I thought

**

Ed looked at Hannah as she came in with the drinks. He noticed her flushed face and the way she looked at Tre. Well now... how am I going to compete with him? Its obvious to me that she likes him but does he like her? I hope not. Anyhow there was no hope for me. How could I equal Tre Cool? Fuck it. I hope you don't get hurt Hannah because I'd never hurt you...

**

Tre and Hannah laid the drinks down on the glass coffee table and we all sat round.

"Right," said Dad "you guys are going to have to come up with some name you know."

"Yeah we know," I said. "But we just can't think of anything"

We sat around chatting and laughing while we drank then I stood up and stretched and something hard dropped onto the glass table.

"What the fuck was that?" said Tre

"Oh. That's mum's ingot." I say leaning over to pick it up. It had dropped from my neck.

"What does it say on it?" said Ed

"It says "To my.Extraordinary girl I will always love you" . It was a gift to Mum from Dad when they very first met." I couldn't look at Dad when I said this. He stayed quiet.

"Wow that's gorgeous." Ed said taking a look.

"Sounds like an omen to me." said Hannah

"What do you mean?" I said to her.

"Well may be we should name our band 'Extraordinary girls'." she said.

"Yeah that would be great if we were all girls," said James laughing.

"The Extraordinarys." said Ed

"No. Too long." said Hannah.

"The extras." I said

"Sounds quite cool," said James

"Hmmmm. Not bad." said Ed

"I love it," said Hannah "but how about we take of the E so that we are the Xtras."

"That's it." We all say at once. "We are the Xtras."

"Congratulations." said Mike

"Thank fuck for that" said Billie

"At last." said Tre and he raised his glass. "to the Xtras."

"To us." I say.

"Yeah Us!" shouted out all the band members. The Xtras and Green Day fell about laughing.

Later...

I had been watching Hannah and knew that I had to tell her. It had been on my mind the entire time we were in the basement.

"Hannah." I said.

"Yes babe." she said

I didn't answer. She looked up.

"What is it Franky?" Hannah asked.

"Its Dad. Its so embarrassing but I have to tell someone. There is no one else to tell but you," I said

"What is it?" she said coming over.

"I found him in bed with that awful Pam woman from the Health club. My god Hannah it was disgusting. She was naked and all over him. I hate the woman. What was dad thinking? He reckons she drugged him. Why the hell would she do that?" I asked.

"Oh Franky. Lets think about it. Does he like her?"

"No he said he hated her."

"Well then. It was the only way was going to get him then. She probably spiked his drink or something."

"That's what he said. It was still disgusting though. We had an embarrassing chat. Look I'm even blushing now thinking of it. He said he's had other women but wouldn't bring them home. He just has sex with them."

"Of course he would. Men have needs you know. I thought you would have known that Franky." said Hannah.

"Well may be I sort of blanked it out when it came to dad."

Hannah came and hugged her friend.

"You dad's a real good looking guy. He must have loads of women throwing themselves at him. It must be difficult for him to resist sometimes. Look at the lifestyle he leads."

"I know. Its just that.. well... Mum."

"Yeah but he loved your mum and I bet he didn't cheat on her once. I'm sure if she'd be alive today there would be no need for him to be with anyone else. But she's not here Franky so... he sometimes needs other women."

"I know."

Hannah hugged me kindly then.

Hannah wished SHE could be needed by Tre.

**

At Berkeley High School Joey was walking in front of Ellie out of their lesson. He started getting his soccer ball out of his bag ready to take out onto the field to play but he lost hold of it and it rolled away, right into the path of Ellie. She picked up the ball and handed it to Joey. He said thanks but it wasn't until he'd gone that Ellie noticed he didn't even look at her. How the hell am I going to get him to notice me? She thought.

**

Jen was just walking out of the Health Club when Adi was walking in.

"Jen!" said Adi. "What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Thought I'd come and have a little work out. You know, work off all the flab that I've put on whilst touring with Mike." she laughed.

"Come off it. There's nothing of you," said Adi. "It's good to see you back here. You know I missed your company," she said.

"Yeah and I missed yours too." said Jen.

"Hi Adi." came a sickening voice from the door. Plastic Pam.

"Hi." said Adi.

"Aren't you going to introduce me to your friend?" she said.

"Oh yes. Jen this is Pam and Pam this is Jen" said Adi.

"Hi." they both said at the same time. Adi looks well pissed off with this woman thinks Jen. Wonder what the story is there?

"Not seen you around here before." said Pam to Jen.

"No. I used to be a member a while ago. I've decided to re-join. You know what its like when you get older. Everything starts lowering," she laughed. Pam didn't laugh.

"Will you be here tomorrow Adi?" Jen asked her.

"Probably." said Adi. Jen thought Adi didn't really want to be here today, let alone tomorrow.

"May be I'll see you then. May be we could grab a coffee afterwards."

"I'd like that," said Adi. "See you tomorrow Jen."

"Yes Bye Adi. Bye Pam." said Jen heading off out the door.

"Yeah bye." said Pam.

When she'd gone Pam spoke to Adi.

"I know her face. Isn't she with the Mike guy from your husband's band?" she asked Adi. Adi didn't want to answer.

"Yes." she eventually said.

"So. She's rich too then," said Pam. "Yeah she must be. Rolling in it I bet. Sven could do with a new face round here, all the others are getting a bit boring. Yeah I think we'll make this Jen woman our last port of call in this dump. Then we'd have probably made enough to move on. Get her to become friendly with me, or Billie sees the pictures and hurry up about it. I'm getting sick of looking at your face" she spat.

Pam went off to the changing rooms and as Adi was about to leave when she heard Pam shout.

"By the way, I need another $1000. By tomorrow. You know the rules."

On the way out of the health club Adrienne visited the ladies room and threw up.

**

That night Hannah lay in bed thinking about her conversation in the kitchen with Tre. She couldn't get to sleep for thinking about it. He actually asked her about herself and said she was a great singer and had the right personality to front a band. She recalled the conversation...

"Have you ever been to see a live band?" said Tre getting out glasses from the cupboard

"Never." said Hannah laying out a tray on the table.

"Not even us?" laughed Tre walking over to the fridge

"Not even you." laughed Hannah.

"You're gonna have to go and see some live music. Its awesome." said Tre

"I'd love to. Has Franky seen much live music?"

"Franky's seen quite a few different bands. She's seen us play loads of times. The only thing that pisses her off is that she's never seen My Chemical Romance live. She hates me for not inviting her on that leg of the tour when they were with us."

"Yeah she thinks they're awesome. They are" said Hannah.

"Oh and which one do you like?" said Tre.

"Mmmm." let me see. "I think Frank's quite cool"

"Oh and who is Franky's favourite?" said Tre "she never tells me about things like tha.t"

"Actually - Franky likes them all." said Hannah.

"Franky would." laughed Tre. "They're such good guys," said Tre pouring orange juice into the glasses.

"So who do you suggest I go and see then." said Hannah

"I think you should go and see some small local bands," said Tre.

"Where would I go?" said Hannah

"You really don't have any idea do you about live music." said Tre.

"Not really." said Hannah watching Tre's hands as he poured the drinks.

"How about I take you one night. They often have a few live bands playing over in that club by the bay. You'll love it. I'll check out whose on and we'll go."

"I'd love that. Just let me know," said Hannah. Oh my god has Tre cool just asked me out?

"I will do," said Tre lifting the tray and heading off down to the basement. "I'll check some out tomorrow."

Hannah followed him downstairs. She wanted to reach out and touch his hair. She could smell his aftershave...

She couldn't believe that she was going to go out with Tre somewhere. Somewhere just the two of them. She fell asleep dreaming of Tre Ccool... Just like any other night really...