Sequel: Purple Hearts

Cherry Lips And Tattoos

Bribing Tre

"Hi Adi" said Franky. "Are you busy today?" I said into the phone. She suddenly felt guilty that she hadn't spoken properly to Adi for absolutely ages.

"Not really. I may pop to the health club later after I've been to the bank" she said. After I've got Billie's hard earned money out to give to that bitch Pam. "You OK?" she said.

"Well.. you know... I was just wondering if you would like to come over and have a coffee with me. I'm feeling a bit down. It hasn't worked out with James" I lied trying to get Adi to feel sorry for me so that she would come over to the house.

"Oh Franky. I'm sorry I know you quite liked him," she said. "How about I come over on my way to the health club. About half an hour OK?" she said.

"That will be great Adi, see you then" I said hanging up and feeling awful. What the fuck was I doing? Why had I gotten into this? This is something between Billie and Adi and now I'm involved. I wished to god I hadn't seen that photograph of her and that blonde guy. I can't seem to get it from my mind. How could she do that to Billie?

Later...

"So" said Adi sitting at the Kitchen table "how much do you like this James then" she said.

"Actually Adi. We've already been out on a date and it didn't work out. We're going to remain friends and I think it will work out better all round for the band if that's the way it goes" I said handing her a coffee. Black, no sugar. She used to have white with loads of sugar. Boy was she on some health kick or what.

"Oh right. So why so down?" she asked. "Oh I don't know. I'm nearly 18 Adi and no boys seem interested in me at all." I said.

"You'll find someone special one day," said Adi. "And when it happens you'll know about it?" she said.

"Did you know when you met Billie?" I asked. I knew when I met Billie that he was someone special.

"Yeah. Straight off. I knew straight away that he was 'the one'. Sometimes it hits you, bam. Just like that" she said.

"Adi is everything alright with you?" I asked.

Adi's face changed.

"Why do you ask?" she said.

"You're different. You've been different for months now. Quiet. We hardly see you. Is everything OK between you and Billie?" I ask.

She didn't answer me. There is definitely something wrong. I think she is having an affair.

"Look Franky. I haven't told anyone this. I have a small problem to deal with. Nothing major. It's just been on my mind a little lately but it's sorting itself out and will be over soon. I can deal with it; it's just that I can't tell Billie about it, as he wouldn't understand. Its best he doesn't know. Before long it'll be over and there will be nothing to tell," she said.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I said.

"No. Like I said. There is nothing to tell." she said. "Why the questions Franky?" she looked at me. "Oh I get it. Has Billie been round here asking if you know what's wrong with me?"

I couldn't lie.

"He's concerned Adi. We all are. We're just worried about you that's all." I said.

Her eyes filled up with tears but she quickly composed herself.

"That's so like Billie. He keeps asking me what's wrong and I can't quite explain myself yet," she said.

"Look Franky if he mentions it again, please just tell him that you've had a word with me and it's just me getting older and it's a .. yeah, tell him it's a hormonal thing and that there is nothing to worry about. Please"

"OK. If that's what you want me to tell him then I will but Adi please be careful. We all love you, you know"

"I know" said Adi coming round to the table to get a hug.

"Oh isn't it good news about Joey and the Berkeley team" I say.

"What news?" said Adi.

"He must have told you," I said. "He told me that you and Billie couldn't make it to the trials for the team so he asked me. He told me that you were at the health club and Billie at a photo shoot." I said confused.

"There's no way that I would have missed his trials," said Adi. "How strange. Mind you he has been acting a little odd lately. He spends loads of time in his room. I can't seem to get through to the boy lately. It must be his age," said Adi. "Anyway sweetheart, look I'll have to be going," she said looking at her watch.

After she'd gone I noticed she hadn't even touched her coffee.

While washing up the coffee cups I heard the sound of a screech of breaks from the front of the house. I checked the front door and it was open. Fuck it. Surely I'd closed it, I'd never have left it open usually. I'd obviously not closed it properly. Milton. No.

"Milton!" I shouted. "Where are you?" I said running to the front door and out to the front of the house.

Out on the road I could see a furry bundle lying there still. Oh my god.

"No! Milton! What's happened?" I shouted running out into the street.

I just glanced up to the right and there was this pink car heading off fast around the corner. Plastic Pam. Now why would she do something like this?

I bent to Milton and he lifted his head. He seemed OK but his back leg was at an odd angle.

I lifted Milton up and put him into the back of the car and took him straight to the vets. His leg was broken and he had to have it set. Poor Milton. I was sure that it was that bitch Pam that had done this to him. The bitch. But who would believe me.

**

Tre could see Susan up ahead by the golf club doors waiting for him. She was dressed in black smart trousers and a little back golf t-shirt and her long dark hair was tied up in a pony tail with little strands blowing about her face. Her dark dark eyes shone and she smiled widely when she saw him. She's pretty cute thought Tre.

"Hi" said Susan. "I was a little early"

"Were you?" said Tre. "Keen to learn some expert tips from the master golfer then?" he said.

"Of course. I've heard you play well. Just don't teach me any bad habits."

"Now what bad habits would that be?" said Tre laughing and heading off to the first hole.

"Lets see you in action then" said Susan.

Tre took a swing at the club and Susan noticed how muscled his arms were. He must work out she thought and got an odd sensation in her stomach while looking at him. Well.. not odd.. just a sensation she hadn't felt in a long time. She felt she could stay here watching this guy all day. She decided she'd like to find out more about this guy who always wore a tie, sometimes wore black nail varnish and she was sure she could see the traces of make up around his eyes.

"Well done" she said. "Now it's my turn."

Tre watched Susan taking her aim at the golf club and decided to interrupt. "Hey. Let me show you a better way of holding the club," said Tre going up behind Susan.

Susan felt his body press up against hers from behind and his strong muscular arms against hers as he took her hands in his and showed her the best way of holding the clubs. I don't want you to let go of me thought Susan, but of course he had to.

Later...

"Well done" said Susan to Tre.

Tre was hopping and dancing and making Susan laugh as he had won the competition between the two of them. She was sad that their round of golf had come to an end. Tre hadn't stopped making her laugh the whole way round and the afternoon had gone so fast. On the walk back to the clubhouse Susan suddenly spoke.

"Tell me about yourself" said Susan walking next to Tre.

"What do you want to know?" he asked. Surely you know something about me already he thought.

"Anything. Everything" she said looking at him. He had a good profile. Strong chin. She loved a strong chin.

"Is there anything you know about me already?" asked Tre.

"Well all I know is that your name is Tre, I couldn't guess an age and you have three children and you wear a tie nearly all the time and you sometimes wear black nail varnish." Said Susan.

"Are you sure that's all you know about me?" said Tre.

"Yeah. That's the sum total," said Susan. "Is there much more to know?" she said.

"Well. Let me think said Tre stopping and scratching his chin. What can I tell you? I know. My name is Tre Cool. It's not my real name, which is Frank Edwin Wright III. I have three children by three different women and I play drums in a punk rock band called Green Day. We've had loads of albums out and we've won countless awards. I've had so many photographs taken of me that I couldn't possibly count them and I'm a multi millionaire," he said laughing. "Is that enough to be getting on with?" he said his eyes twinkling.

"That's plenty," she said. "Now tell me the truth," she laughed at the madness of this good looking guy.

"Honey. That is the truth," said Tre. Your eyes are so deep and dark thought Tre. I've never seen eyes like it he thinks.

"Stop messing. I don't know if you're kidding or not" said Susan.

"How about we finish off our afternoon with something to eat?" said Tre.

"Sure. I'm feeling quite hungry now," said Susan.

"Do you like Chinese?" said Tre. "I know this wonderful little restaurant not far from here"

**

At the Chopstick Bowl Tre and Susan enjoyed a wonderful meal, laughing and chatting about their game of golf. Susan still didn't know what to believe and what not to believe with this guy. She knew he had a history and she wanted to know about the sadness behind his eyes.

While having coffee she had to ask him.

"Tre?"

"Hmmm" said Tre taking a drink of the coffee.

"Are you divorced?" she said. She had to know. She didn't want him to be just separated. She didn't want to be involved if there was a wife on the scene.

"Er... No. I'm a widower," said Tre looking down into his coffee. "About three years now" he sighed.

"I'm sorry," said Susan. This shocked her. She hadn't thought of that scenario. "She must have been young. Was she? Sorry. I don't mean to pry. Let's forget I asked," she said.

"No. No Susan. Its fine. I can talk about it now. There was a time when I couldn't. I still miss her like hell but... yeah I can talk about her a little freely now without getting too upset. She was only 33 and she had breast cancer. Once she was told about it she only lived for a few months. There was nothing they could do for her. Here." Said Tre rummaging in his pocket. "Here's a picture of her" and he showed Susan the picture of a beautiful young woman with the hugest smile and the most prettiest face that she'd ever seen. She could have been a model she was so natural looking.

"She's beautiful Tre" said Susan. It was a surreal situation but she found she wasn't jealous of this beautiful woman in the photograph. There was nothing to be jealous of.

"Yeah. Wasn't she?" said Tre putting the picture away. "Listen I hear that you are in a similar situation?" said Tre.

"Yes" said Susan. "but it was much longer ago. It was about 13 years ago when Greg died. He dropped down dead from a brain haemorrhage. No warning. Gone. It was such a shock as he was the fittest guy you could ever meet. Didn't drink or smoke and always worked out. I missed him like hell and just about coped. The kids helped me along really and like you I find I can talk about him without getting too upset. We had good times and I can talk about them easily." She said.

"I know what you mean," said Tre. "Listen Susan. I'd really like to see you again sometime. May be we could do this again," he said.

"Tre. I'd love to" she said.

"I'm glad," said Tre.

Tre really liked Susan but this was another new situation with him. He didn't want to rush off and take Susan to bed he wanted to take it slowly with her. She was a special lady.

Susan liked Tre a lot. It was the first guy since Greg that she had any sort of feelings for. She hoped he would take it slowly though and not rush her into anything. I don't want to tell the children about Tre yet. I'll wait and see how things develop between us.

**

"Hi Hannah" said Ed. "James around?" he asked.

"Yeah he is Ed. I'll call him. JAMES! ED'S ON THE PHONE" she shouted away from the mouthpiece.

"He's coming Ed," said Hannah. "Oh you won't have heard will you. Tre's taking me out soon to see a live band play, to give me some inspiration for our band" she said.

"Good" said Ed. Lucky bastard.

**

That evening Susan had a quiet moment to herself and decided to get on the computer. She entered a search on Tre Cool and was gobsmacked at what she found.

"Fucking hell." I see now. "How could I have not known? Of course. They are the guys that had that wonderful hit with 'Wake Me Up When September Ends.' Something to do with the singer's father dying. Yeah I recognise the singer from pictures but I suppose being the singer in the band you're more recognisable. So you are the drummer in a mega famous band Tre Cool." I wonder if my children know who he is?

***

At Berkeley High School Ellie went to her first soccer practice and to her surprise she had to be partnered by Joey. He had to show her the ropes. Oh my god. Look at him in his soccer shorts. She thought. I'm going to enjoy this. Joey Armstrong has no choice now but to notice me she thought.

**

Joey looked at the small girl that he had to partner. What the fuck was his school up to letting girls play soccer. What was the world coming to? Anyway, just have to put up with it and get on with the job in hand he thought kicking the ball over to the girl. Hey she was pretty good at this he thought.

"Hey what's your name?" Said Joey.

"Ellie" said a flushed Ellie

"Aren't you in some classes with me?" said Joey

"Yeah. I think I might be" said Ellie knowing full well that she was.

"You're pretty good at getting the ball you know" said Joey

"Thanks" said Ellie. But its you I want to get.

**

"Tre?" said the sickening voice at the end of the phone.

"Yeah. Who is this?" said Tre but he had an idea.

"Its Pam. Remember. Surely you haven't forgotten our night together already," she said.

"Oh Pam. No. Of course I haven't forgotten," he said. But I would like to.

"How's the mutt?" said Pam.

"I'm sorry?" said Tre

"The mutt. The smelly hairy thing that your daughter adores"

"How did you know about Milton?" said Tre.

"Oh you know. Some things just have to be done Tre. You know," she said.

"You bitch," said Tre. "How could you do something like that to an innocent creature?" He said.

"Quite easily. Anyway Tre I have a surprise for you. You remember that waitress girl you slept with in England. I think her name was Donna. You must remember her. Young, pretty, only had eyes for you?"

Tre couldn't remember but he pretended he did. Had he slept with a waitress? He may have done.

"Yeah. I remember. What about her?" said Tre.

"Well. Now let me see. This seems to be a little matter of her being... underage" said Pam.

"WHAT!" said Tre. "No way" he said.

"Yes. Tre I'm afraid that little Donna wasn't even 16 when you slept with her. Now men like you can't control yourselves can you. Men in your position should know better than to sleep with such a young girl."

Tre felt sick suddenly.

"What do you want?" He knew she was after something.

"Now. Yes. Lets see. What do I want?" said the bitch Pam.

"Money Tre. That's what I want. I want money and then I can be on my merry little way. I shall be leaving in a month and you wont see hide nor hair of me but I need to earn my keep here so... yes. I want money because little Donna is over there in England awaiting my call. If you don't cough up she's going to the papers."

"You motherfucking bitch" said Tre. "You're lying," he said.

"Am I Tre? Prove it. Prove I'm lying," she said. "You can't can you because you can't even remember little Donna can you. Poor girl. You're old enough to be her father"

"How much?" Said Tre. He couldn't believe he was having this conversation.

"For a start shall we say $20,000. Yeah. Seems a good start then each week until I leave I want $20,000 cash in an envelope. Got it."

"Yeah" said Tre. "I got it. I'll get you the money and then you stay out of our lives you bitch," said Tre.

"Yeah. When I've got the money," she said putting the phone down.

Pam laughed to herself. There was no Donna. She knew she would get Tre on that one. There was no Donna at all. Ha Ha Ha she laughed loudly to herself.