Sequel: Purple Hearts

Cherry Lips And Tattoos

The Grammys

It was the morning of the Grammy's and I was sitting in the hairdressers discussing what to do with my hair with Lola. She said that I needed a colour through my hair. She asked if I'd ever had it coloured before and I told her that when I was fourteen I'd had it died fairly dark brown with purple streaks through it. She actually said that was a good choice and would I like to have that done again. I thought about it for a while and thought hell why not. It was my favourite colour and it had looked good before.

It was quite a luxury being in the hairdressers. I got brought drinks over and read magazines while she worked away at my hair. She didn't chat much just got on with the job. I didn't feel like chatting anyway as I was a little nervous about the evening. Dad had given me a few pointers as he said we'd be fully in the limelight as Green day had been nominated for Best Album again. He said just to keep smiling at the cameras and to be natural and everything else would follow. All of us had a limousine that was collecting us at our house at 6pm. It was now 11.30am so I still had ages to go but Lola seemed to think that the time would fly by.

When the colour was done she cut it slightly for me and then dried it and started pinning it up. I must admit I looked totally different with my hair up. She had a few spiky bits sticking out and stuck a few tiny stars around it. There was this one purple streak that she left out and then got out the curling tongs and curled it up. I must admit it did look cool. She sprayed it firmly so that it would set and then she gave me the tongs to take home. She said I could borrow them and bring them back as soon as I'd finished with them. She said I might need to curl the streak once more before I left, especially if I was having a bath.

"Who is doing your make up?" she asked.

"Oh my friend Hannah" I replied. "She's real good at make up."

"OK. Tell her to use loads on the eyes and hardly any on the lips" she said. "Just a little tip."

"OK I'll tell her," I said. "Thanks."

I paid Lola, thanked her again and then left the shop. I'd arranged for Adi to collect me from outside as she was getting her hair done at a similar time. She looked awesome as usual.

"Adi you look lovely," I said getting into the car.

"Thanks but look at you. That's gorgeous," she said looking at me. "You look so different. Very sophisticated" she said. Did I want to be sophisticated? May be just for one night.

She dropped me off but didn't come in, as she had to go and get herself ready. Dad wasn't in so I called up Hannah. She was coming over to have a sandwich and then we were going to get me ready.

"Bloody hell you look fantastic" she said coming in the door.

"God it's only a hairstyle," I said.

"Yeah but look at you."

"Do you want cheese or cheese in your sandwich" I said trying to change the subject from my bloody hair. " It looks as though Dad hasn't done any grocery shopping for ages," I laugh.

"Cheese then please" she said thinking about Tre grocery shopping. She imagined them grocery shopping together one day. Her mind came back to the moment.

"Right I've bought all my make up with me," she said lugging a huge bag into the kitchen.

"Fucking hell I'm not going to need that much," I said laughing.

"No but I wasn't sure what colours would suit you but now I have an idea."

She showed me some of her stuff and she'd decided on charcoal grey for the eyes and very pale pink cheeks and the palest of pink lip-glosses. "Don't worry," she said "it is cherry flavoured."

"Then I'll end up licking it off," I said.

"Or someone else can." she says laughing.

"Oh yeah like who? There will only be mega famous people at the Grammy's, who's going to look at me?"

"Plenty of people will be looking at you, believe me. Who's playing anyway?" She said.

"My Chemical Romance, Fall out boy, Aleisha Keyes, Prince and I think Kanye West" I said.

"Well you've got a choice between My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy," she said.

"MMmmmm tough call but I think My Chem have a better looking bunch of guys. Who do you like?" I said.

"I love Gerard and Mikey Way but well.. Frank Iero's so cute... he's my favourite" she said dreamily.

"I've met them," I said.

"You're kidding," said Hannah, her eyes widening.

"No. They came to my 14th birthday party and then they came to mum's funeral."

"Fuck" said Hannah, amazed.

"They're were so nice. Mum and Dad used to see them quite a bit. Mum loved them and thought they were lovely. I think they thought a lot of Mum too"

"Did you talk to Frank at your party?" asked Hannah hopefully.

"No. Just the Way brothers." I replied.

"Awesome. What was Mikey like? Was he as handsome in real life?"

"They both were but I can't remember much about them, it seems so long ago now."

"Next you'll tell me you've met Fall Out Boy."

"No. Not them."

"I bet you any money you can't get that Pete Wentz guy to kiss you," she said.

"Oh piss off," I say. "He's probably got loads of women on the go and he wouldn't look twice at plain old me. Anyway, I'm not sure if I like him or not."

"You're not plain, stop underestimating yourself and after I've finished with you they'll be queuing up" she said "now hurry up and eat your sandwich I want to get started."

"I wish," I said, "I've only ever been out with one guy and that's your James" and went off to get my bath.

I could hear her rummaging around in her make up bag while I was luxuriating in my huge bubbly bath.

Then I could hear dad's voice.

"Hi Hannah" I could hear dad say outside in my room.

"Hi Tre." she answered. She was probably blushing bright red I thought to myself.

"Hi Dad." I shout from the confines of my bubbles.

"Hi baby. You OK?" Tre shouted through the door. "I'm going to get myself ready, I've just been out getting a new tie," he said.

"Not another one." I laugh.

"I've haven't got that many," he shouts back.

"No, only about 300." I laughed.

**

Just before Tre leaves Franky's room he grabs hold of Hannah and whispers "how about we get together soon? I so enjoyed the other night."

"So did I," said Hannah. "and yeah, I'd love to do it again." she said.

Tre gently kissed Hannah's lips and left the room leaving her gobsmacked.

**

I got out of the bath and wrapped myself in a large towel.

"Oh." said Hannah looking at me. "That curly purple streak has now gone straight. What shall we do? The damp must have got to it."

"No worries." I say getting out the tongs that Lola gave to me. "Lola gave me these. We can bring the curly streak back to life." I say.

"Cool. Now get over here and lets start getting you ready."

She spent ages on my face and wouldn't let me look then she got out the tongs and did my hair for me.

"You're not looking at yourself until you're dressed and all ready." she said.

I checked my watch. "My god everyone will be arriving any minute," I say. "I've got to paint my nails and toes yet. What colours have you got?" I said having a look in her enormous bag.

"I think this one will go," she said getting out a dark purple colour.

"Yeah that has GOT to be the one," I say..

"How did I guess?" said Hannah. "You and purple." she laughed.

She painted my toes and nails and it felt wonderful sitting there being pampered.

"Francesca?" Shouted Dad from the door. "Everyone is here and the car will be here in about 5 minutes baby. Get a move on."

"OK Dad." I say, panicking.

"Calm down." Said Hannah. "We've only got to get you dressed get your shoes on and a bit more lippy then you're done."

She helped me into the dress. It still felt so lovely against my skin. I strapped on my shoes and she applied my lippy. I put on mum's ingot and found some of mums earrings just some small silver dangly ones, not too big, just the right size.

I'd also raided mums box of bracelets. Nearly half my right arm was covered in silver and purple bangles all of different shapes and sizes. I'd also got on this huge purple ring that was once mums.

"Franky you look wonderful" said Hannah looking me up and down. " I think I could cry." She said.

"Oh don't be stupid," I say. "Lets have a look then" I said going over to the full-length mirror.

"Fuck is that me?" I say looking into the mirror. It felt like one of those make over shows. "Fucking hell what have you done to my eyes?" I got in closer and my eyes were covered in this smoky grey colour and made my eyes stood out really bright blue.

"You've worked miracles," I said to her.

"No," she said. " It's just brought out your natural beauty."

"Oh stop it." I said to her.

"FRANKY!" Shouted dad. "The car is here."

"COMING" I shout.

Before I leave the room I go over to Hannah and hug her. "Thanks for making me look so cool." I say. "I couldn't have done it without you."

"Yes you could," she said. "Knock em dead. I'll clear up and get on home. Don't forget to call me tomorrow with all the gossip and relax and have a good time."

"I hope so. Thanks again Hannah." then I left the room.

**

I was so busy concentrating on walking down the stairs in my heels that I didn't realise that everyone was at the bottom waiting. Dad, Uncle Mike, Aunt Jen, Billie Joe and Adi were all there. I looked up when I got to the bottom and they were all staring at me. Fuck it. I'd gone over the top. I knew it. I wanted to run and hide.

"She has legs," Dad shouted to break the ice then he came over and whispered in my ear. "You look so beautiful darling I'm so proud of you," he said and he did look proud.

"Thanks Dad. For a minute there I thought I'd done something wrong you were all staring at me." I said.

"Its because you look so gorgeous." said Auntie Jen.

"A real stunner." said Uncle Mike..

"I love that outfit," said Adi "and who did your make up? You look so grown up, your Mum would be so proud to see you tonight." she said.

My eyes started to fill up with tears at the mention of Mum.

"Now don't go spoiling the effect." said Dad. "Come on lets get going." and he put his arm around me and we went to the car.

It wasn't until we were all in the car and I was sitting next to dad that I realised that Billie Joe was sitting beside me with Adi the other side and he hadn't said a word to me though I was sure I could feel him looking at me. He probably thinks I look like an overdone Barbie doll or something I think to myself. Who cares? Everyone else seems to think I look good.

Dad held my hand all the way to the ceremony.

The car pulled up and I could see lots of people outside. They were shouting out everyone's name and there were photographers and cameramen all about. I had butterflies.

"You OK?" dad asked looking at me..

"I think so," I say.

"Your hands are cold," he says grabbing my hands and rubbing and kissing them.

"Come on, let's go get them," he says.

We all got out of the car and dad kept hold of my hand but then he had to go and have some photos taken with just the band members and I was left standing with Adi and Aunt Jen.

Dad was standing on the red carpet with Billie and Mike having loads of pictures taking and he was pulling his usual funny faces.

Then some of the photographers were shouting out "Francesca! This way! Francesca! Franky!" I didn't know where to look. I just carried on smiling and stood there grinning. I felt stupid, why did they want pictures of me? I looked around for Dad but he didn't notice then everyone was crowding round taking pictures of me.

Suddenly a muscular bald guy came over and helped me into the ceremony.

All the guys were at the door.

"What happened to you?" said Dad I got worried.

"She was being photographed," said Adi. "I think she's got a fan club out there," she laughed.

Who wants to take pictures of me? I thought.

Dad put his arm protectively around my shoulders and we were all lead to our seats. We were in the second row from the front at the end of a row. Wow what a view. I looked around a little and could see loads of famous faces. There were other bands all around us I could see Panic! At the Disco. Fall out Boy, My Chemical Romance. Fuck there was Madonna over there. She still looks good for her age. I hope I age well like her I think. Then the ceremony begins and it's Prince making a grand entrance. He sings the wonderful Purple Rain and gets a standing ovation.

The talking part of the ceremony did go on a little and dad kept squeezing my hand to make sure that I was all right. Now and again we'd giggle together about something or other.

There was a lot of shuffling behind me where bands and other acts kept getting up and down either to play or to give out awards.

The next act up was My Chemical Romance. They rocked the place out and Frank on guitar was all over the stage. What energy. I remembered them all coming to mum's funeral ages ago.

They sung 'Helena' and it sent a shiver down my spine. I still couldn't watch the DVD through on the TV but I was glad they were here, as I'd always wanted to see them live. Now I had and they were awesome.

The next award was for best group and it was My Chemical Romance that won. How wonderful. I was glad they had won they deserved it. Green Day weren't in that category otherwise I would have had to be biased towards them. Gerard Way thanked everyone and he thanked his brother and all the other band members for getting him through some tough times in the past. He still hard these weird mesmerizing eyes I noticed.

I knew the ceremony was drawing to a close and the last nomination of the evening was for best album. Green Day was up for this. I just kept my fingers crossed tightly. It was Bono that came out on stage to present the award.

... Sitting directly behind Franky was a handsome well-known member of a band and for some reason the girl sitting in front of him intrigued him. He knew she was Tre Cool's daughter and she had grown into one beautiful woman; Tre had kept her well out of the public view. How had he managed that? He had been watching her from behind nearly all evening and had to fight the urge to reach out and touch the purple hair of hers that was hanging down at the side of her face. Every now and again she would turn to her father and the guy would catch sight of her smile. They were pretty close, father and daughter. Look at them they're giggling and laughing between themselves as though they were a couple of teenagers. Her smile was beautiful and he couldn't take his eyes off the back of her graceful neck. He tried to work out how old she was. She was very young but he was sure she must be around 17/18 by now..

... "and the winners are... .. GREEN DAY for their latest album... ."

..The crowd roared and the handsome band guy watched Franky jump up off her seat and hug her father tight. They stayed hugging for a bit then he watched Franky as she kissed both Mike and Billie on the cheeks. Lucky bastards he thought. Tre turned to the handsome guy suddenly then and shook his hands with him and the other members of his band. He noticed Franky sit back in her seat watching Green Day intently as they gave their speech of thanks. He could see her wipe a tear from her eye but she was smiling. You're so lovely thought the guy. I wish I had someone here for me so beautiful and who would cry a tear for me. You didn't even turn when your father shook my hand. You probably don't know I exist...