Sequel: Purple Hearts

Cherry Lips And Tattoos

The day after the night before

I awoke to the sound of voices downstairs. I glance over to the clock, it read 11am. Bloody hell I've slept in. My next thought was Gerard Way. Mmmm I was going to see him today. Suddenly I was wide-awake and raring to go. I went into the bathroom to clean my teeth, and then I put on my robe and headed off downstairs. I could hear them all in the kitchen whilst walking down. Adi's voice, Billie's, Dads. What were they all doing here, it was early for them?

"Good morning," they all said at the same time with a strange grin on their faces.

"Morning," I say going over to the toaster and putting in a couple of slices of bread. "You guys are round fairly early after last night," I said

"Yeah, blame Adi," said Billie yawning "she had to come over with today's papers because guess what baby? You're plastered all over them."

"What?" I say going over to have a look.

Adi laughs. "Yeah I told you, you were a hit last night," she said. "Take a look at this one."

She turns to about page 4 and there's a full double page spread on the Grammy's and there's this huge picture of me on one side. The caption read:

"Franky Cool, now 17 at the Grammy's last night" then next to it a picture of me at Mum's funeral. 'Franky aged 13 at her mother Samantha's funeral in 2006' There was also a tiny picture of mum in one corner.

"Oh," I say. I was shocked. What was all this about?

"You want to read what they wrote about you?" Adi saids.

"What did they write?"

"Here," and she points to the section to the left of the picture. "Nearly a whole column to yourself."

I read it out loud:"TRE COOL'S DAUGHTER KNOCKS THEM DEAD AT GRAMMY'S

Franky Cool, the pint-sized daughter of Tre the drummer with award winning band Green Day was seen in public for the first time in a long time at the Grammy's last night..


"They make me sound like I'm a recluse," I said.

"..The stunning 17 year old attracted a few of the younger generation as it was said that she turned down a date with Jude Law. It was also said that Gerard Way and Pete Wentz were arguing over who was going to ask her out on a date. We believe Gerard Way won the argument as Franky and he were seen canoodling in a corner for most of the evening...

"We weren't canoodling," I said looking up and meeting Billie's eyes. Billie Joe does an excuse me type of cough. I gave him a glare.

"..Franky's mother lost her battle with breast cancer aged just 33 in 2006 and Franky has been brought up alone by Tre (real name Frank Edwin Wright III) ever since. We think you have done a marvellous job Tre and you should be proud. Franky is also soon to be recording a song with her band The Xtras this week so we should be seeing a lot more of little Franky. Tre and the other guys from Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong and Mike Dirnt picked up the award for Best Group. Well done guys."

"I don't believe this," I said. "Pint sized? Canoodling?"

"Yeah but you did look gorgeous," said Adi. "Everyone was looking at you, surely you must have realised."

"Well I saw some people looking but I thought it was because I looked uncomfortable or my dress was too revealing."

"If you want to be famous honey you're going to have to put up with this," said Tre.

"I know. I remember Mum hated being in the papers and she just put up with it for you Dad. I don't think she ever got quite used to it though but I'm sure I'll be fine. It doesn't bother me I have to take it with a pinch of salt."

"Most of the other papers contain the same type of stuff," said Billie. " It looks like you are hot property at the moment but be careful."

"I will," I say. "Listen I'm going off upstairs now to get ready. I have a date with Gerard sometime today" I said and with that rushed off upstairs.

"You haven't told her have you Tre?" said Adi

"Oh shit," said Billie. "Is it time we went?"

"No, don't go," said Tre. "You can back me up on this. Have another coffee."

"OK," said Billie yawning away and stretching out his legs on to another kitchen chair.

Half an hour later Franky reappeared looking as gorgeous as ever, really casually dressed and with her long hair flowing down her back.

"I'm not sure what time Gerard is coming over," I say sitting at the table with everyone and flicking idly through the newspapers again.

"He won't be coming," said Tre.

"What do you mean?" I said. "Has he called?" I looked at Dad questioningly.

"No. He hasn't called, I told him not to come," said Tre.

"WHAT?"

"Oops," said Billie.

"Billie, be quiet," said Adi.

"What do you mean you told him not to come? When?" I said glaring at Dad.

"Last night just before we left, Gerard told me his plans for today and I said... well... I said it wouldn't be a good idea."

"WHAT? What do you mean not a good idea?" I was real angry now and confused.

"Well I said that he was too old for you," said Tre.

"You did WHAT?" I said almost spitting the words and standing up pacing around the kitchen.

"How dare you dad. I really like Gerard."

"Look Franky, he's 33 years old and he's had... well he's had a lot of past problems with drugs and drink... "

"SO FUCKING WHAT!" I shouted.

"Franky!" said Tre.

"No Dad. This is wrong. I'm old enough to know who I want to go out with. This is way out of order dad. I hate you for this," and with that Franky grabbed her house keys from the worktop and ran out of the house.

"Shit," said Billie sitting up.

"You are wrong about this Tre," Said Adrienne. "She is 17, 18 soon. She has to make her own way and if it's a mistake going out with him then she has to find out for herself, you shouldn't interfere."

"No I agree with Tre," said Billie. "She needs protecting. The guy is way too old for her. Nice guy but lots of past baggage."

"Oh Billie shut up you don't know what you're talking about. You're no angel. You suffer panic attacks but it doesn't make you a bad guy. I'm surprised at you," said Adi. Billie did piss her off sometimes.

"Well this is Franky we're talking here," said Billie. Adi did piss him off sometimes.

"Billie she is not a young kid any more, she's a young woman," said Adi.

"Yeah but look at her, she's going to get hurt. I'm so fucking glad we've only got boys."

"Yeah I know but Franky is like one of our own isn't she?" Said Adi.

But Billie didn't answer.

Tre looked troubled. "I've fucked up," he said. " I've tried to do my best without Sammi but I've fucked this up. She hates me," he said.

"She doesn't hate you," said Adi. "She just hates what you did. It needs sorting Tre. Go after her. Where do you think she will be?"

"I think she'll be either at the mountains or at the cemetery," said Billie.

"How would you know?" said Adi

"It's just a guess. I'd probably go there if I were her, I'm sure she said that's where she hung out once," said Billie.

"Yeah I'll go after her but first there is something I need to do," said Tre.

Tre went over to the phone and tapped a few numbers in and put the phone to his ear.

"Hi Gerard, it's Tre. Yeah I'm good thanks. Listen. I'm calling about last night and what was said. I've changed my mind. I overreacted a little. Listen if you want to see Franky then go ahead. I'll text you over her phone number and then you can take it from there dude," said Tre. "Yeah great. OK then. Bye," and he put down the phone.

"Good, you've done the right thing," said Adi.

"I'm not so sure," said Billie.

"Oh shut up will you," said Adrienne.

***

Franky slumped down by her mother's gravestone. It was a cross in pure white marble and the inscription read:

Samantha Jane Wright
06-04-1972 - 04-04-2006
Beautiful wife and mother to Tre and Franky

The brightest star in the sky
Who will never be forgotten and who will always be loved


"Oh Mum," said Franky tracing her finger around the letter S on Sammi's name. "What do I do? I can't believe Dad did this. I really like Gerard and he's put a stop to me seeing him. This is awful Mum. What would you do? Would you let me see him? I wish you were here still I really miss you so much," she said the tears running down her face.

"I miss her so much too," said Tre crouching down beside Franky.

"Oh dad," said Franky.

"Come here," said Tre opening up his arms. Franky fell into them and snuggled up to his familiar chest and lovely smell.

"I'm sorry sweetheart. I over-reacted, its just I worry about you that's all. I've messed up big time. Forgive me?" he said.

"I can't dad. I really like Gerard, a lot."

"Well I've called Gerard."

"What?"

"I've called him and said I'd made a big mistake and to take no notice of me I was just be overprotective of you. I've sent him your phone number to make arrangements to meet up."

"But he's touring tomorrow. He's going to be away for a while," said Franky.

"Well when he comes back then if you and he still feel the same I'm sure you can still meet up," said Tre.

"Maybe," said Franky moodily.

"Look Franky you've got to understand it's been difficult for me. You're a young woman now and I can't protect you forever. I knew the newspapers would react like that when they saw you. How could they not? I wanted to prepare you for publicity with the band, but I think I've gone about it the wrong way. Come on let's get home. It's getting chilly sitting here," said Tre.

They both stood up. Then both touched the white cross and slowly walked out of the cemetery. As the reached the two huge gates Franky's mobile phone bleeped.
She took it out of her pocket.

"It's a text message from Gerard," she said.

She read it to herself:

HI TINY. ITS SUCH A SHAME WE COULDN'T MEET UP 2DAY AND 2MORO I AM OFF FOR A WHILE TOURING. I PROMISE TO TEXT YOU THO AS OFTEN AS I CAN. LETS MEET UP WHEN I GET BACK AND WE CAN HAVE OUR MOUNTAIN WALK AND MAY BE I CAN GET TO TASTE YOUR CHERRY LIPS. TAKE CARE FRANKY. G THE GIRAFFE XX

How sweet. I'll text him back later she thought.

"You OK?" said Tre.

"Yep," I sniffed. " Fine now."

I put the mobile phone away in my pocket. Height doesn't matter when you're lying down. Will I ever find that out? I sure hope so.

"Hey," said Dad his arms still around me. "Hasn't someone got an 18th birthday coming up soon?"

I nod.

"Well how about we do something special?" he said.

"Why not?" I say and we each get into our own cars and drive home.

**

The next day...

"Hey dude," said Mike to Tre on the phone.

"Hi Mike, I don't feel like a round of golf today buddy," he says.

"No it's not that. I'm worried about Billie," he said,

"How do you mean?" said Tre.

"Well. Since we got back do you think he and Adi have been acting a little weird," said Mike.

"Not this again Mike but, well, may be not Billie but Adi definitely has," said Tre.

"Yeah. Jen and me have noticed it too. She said she acts strange down at the health club, especially when that Pam woman is around. She's admitted to me that she tried to warn Jen off of her and some guy down there but wouldn't go into any detail. She said she has also seen Adi handing over an envelope two or three times."

"Fuck it," said Tre.

"What?" said Mike.

"No nothing. It's probably nothing but I don't trust that Pam woman, I think she's trouble. You know that night she came here Mike, there's no way I would have slept with her willingly. Fuck it. She's up to something. I'm worried for Adi and Billie," said Tre.

"Tre do you know something?" said Mike.

"May be but I don't want to talk about it over the phone," said Tre. "Get round here will you dude and I'll explain it all."

"I've already left," said Mike.

Later..

The two friends sat chatting in the garden over a couple of beers.

"... And that's it really. Franky has this weird idea that Plastic Pam ran Milton over. I laughed at first and now the plastic bitch is bribing me with this waitress story."

"The fucking bitch," said Mike. "There's no way you'd have slept with anyone that young," said Mike pacing up and down.

"What are we going to do?" said Mike.

"Shall we tell Billie?" he said. "I think she has some sort of hold over Adi. I think he needs to know."

"Yeah but what if Adi's done something and she doesn't want Billie to know?" said Tre.

"But they never have secrets," said Mike.

"Yeah but this may be what all this I about. I'm sure Adi is keeping something from Billie," said Tre.

"May be it's about Billie and she doesn't want to hurt him. Fuck it. What a mess," said Mike.

"You can say that again," said Tre wondering what on earth they should do for the best.

"How about we talk to Billie - don't lets mention anything, lets see how everything is between them and then, may be we should confront Adi," said Mike

"Yeah. Lets get Billie over, you give him a call, I'll put some more beers in the fridge," said Tre.

Even later...

"You OK?" said Billie to Tre.

They were sitting in the garden having a beer.

"Not really Bill. Fuck it its so hard being a parent let alone being a single parent with a teenage daughter," said Tre.

"Yeah it must be hard man," said Billie coming over to him. "You're OK though. I mean really?"

"Actually it's easing a little but I miss her like fuck and still think of her nearly every day but I don't break down and cry over her any more. I can see her face in pictures and not get tearful so that's slightly easier. The worst thing is watching Franky grow up and realising all that her mother's missing out on. Anyway, everything is fine between Franky and me now. We're cool." said Tre.

"That's good," said Billie.

They were in Tre's garden and Mike was there too playing with Milton at the bottom of the garden while Franky was upstairs in her room.

"Hey guys. What's the faces for?" said Mike.

"Oh you know, just chatting about life in general," said Tre.

"And you Billie, is everything OK with you?" said Mike sitting down and joining them for a beer. Their plan of action to talk to Billie was so far going ok.

"Not really," said Billie.

"How come?" said Mike.

"It's Adi and me. I think its coming to an end," said Billie.

"Fuck. No way. Not you and Adi," said Tre. This actually shocked him. He knew something wasn't right but not that.

"No way. Why Billie?" said Mike.

"Fuck knows. It all started after this tour or may be even during it. She hardly came out this time you know," Actually the guys did know, they noticed it this time too.

"And when I got back... well she was different. She's distant. Something's bothering her and she won't or can't tell me. Its fucked me off and I've realised I can't trust her."

The guys looked saddened by this.

"What do you mean?" said Tre.

"I think there is someone else or has been someone else and she can't tell me," said Billie.

"No way," said Mike.

"Not Adi," said Tre.

"Yeah. Adi," said Billie. "Anyway. I can't get back quite what I feel but you know, she must feel the same, as she's not interested in making this work. We don't make love any more or spend any time alone. I think we're done. I think I need to move on."

What saddened Tre was the fact that Billie seemed quite calm and matter of fact about it all. May be Billie has found someone too? No. They'd know about it. May be he's got someone he wants to be with? That might be it. Why would he be acting so calm if his marriage was breaking?

Mike was confused too. How come Billie seems matter of fact about this situation? Adi and he were the perfect couple, going back years. Why was Billie so calm about this? Did Billie himself want to be with someone else? No. Surely not, anyway whom could Billie like? He's never in the situation to meet anyone.

At the same time in Franky's room...

Their voices are travelling up thinks Franky going over to the window to listen as she heard Adi's voice mentioned. She overhears Billie telling her dad and Mike that it is over between him an Adi. Franky is shocked. It sounds like Billie has decided its over. It sounds like he may even have his eye on someone else. Impossible. Who on earth would Billie want other thank Adi?

She decides to text Gerard then

HI GIRAFFE
THX 4 YR TEXT. YES IT'S A SHAME WE COULDN'T MEET UP BUT YOU HAVE MY NUMBER NOW SO NO EXCUSES. I HOPE THE TOUR GOES WELL FOR YOU AND THE GUYS AND I'LL THINK ABOUT YOU WHEN I'M UP IN THE MOUNTAINS. FRANKY XXX

***

At the Armstrongs...

Joey is looking through a newspaper that has been left out on the Kitchen table.

There she is he thinks. His Franky. Oh my god she looks so beautiful. I wish I could have been there with her on my arm but Dad says I am too young to go to the Grammy's yet. He reads the column that talks about the band guys being after Franky and his heart falls. No Franky. Please don't go out with any of them, I'm sure they wont treat you as well as I could. He goes to the kitchen drawer and gets some scissors and cuts out the picture of Franky. He cuts out the column of words and throws it into the bin. At that moment his phone rings.

"Hi," says Joey.

"Oh Ellie. Yeah how are you?" he says into the phone.

"Yeah I think I've got time today to show you a few soccer skills," he says never one to pass over the chance to play soccer. "You want to come over here and play? We've got quite a big garden and there are some small goals permanently set up down at the bottom."

"Good. See you in about half an hour."

Joey switched his phone to off and quickly ran upstairs, got down his box from the wardrobe and stuck the latest picture of Franky in then he changed into his soccer kit to wait for Ellie.

**

Ellie couldn't believe her luck. She had been given Joey's phone number by a friend of his and decided to go ahead and brave the phone call to him. She couldn't believe that he wanted to teach her some skills she was sure he would turn her down. She quickly changed into her soccer gear and headed off out of the house.

**

Ellie couldn't believe that Joey was showing a real interest in her. They'd played a bit of soccer but it was so hot they decided to go swimming in their pool. Luckily she'd her bikini on underneath her kit. They were splashing about for ages when suddenly Joey swam under the water and started pulling at her legs. She resisted then he came up for air. He has gorgeous eyes and a cheeky smile thinks Ellie.

"Can I kiss you?" he suddenly says.

"Why not?" replies Ellie. Was this really finally happening?

He leans in and gives her a tender kiss. He pulls away slightly. "Oh Franky," said Joey "that was wonderful."

"What did you call me? Franky?" said Ellie shocked and looking at Joey in a weird way.

"Don't be stupid," said Joey. "You're mistaken," he said. "Why would I call you Franky?" said Joey. Fuck it, he couldn't believe he had said that out loud.

"Sorry," said Ellie. "Must be hearing things," she said. She didn't want to spoil things with Joey but she swore he had said Franky.

That evening...

Ed was waiting to collect his parents outside the Chopstick bowl. It was their anniversary and he said he would drive them and pick them up so that they could share a bottle of champagne. He had the music on and was tapping along to Nirvana when he noticed the door of the Chopstick Bowl open. I wonder if this is them? He thinks sitting up in the car. No. Its Tre Cool and... fuck that's James and Hannah's mother Susan that he's with. Shit. He watches Tre and Susan walk past his car and he ducks down out of sight so that they can't see him. The bastard. No way. He was sure that he overheard Hannah telling Franky that she was now going out with Tre. The fucking bastard, he'd better not be messing Hannah about. Just then he saw his parents emerge from the restaurant so started up the engine. Fucking Tre Cool. Who does he think he is?