Sequel: Purple Hearts

Cherry Lips And Tattoos

Happy 18th Birthday Franky

Joey is sitting staring at the photograph and he can't believe what he can see. He looks closer at the photo and sees his father hugging Franky outside the police station. That could be me he thinks. That could be me with Franky and I'd treat her better than any of you guys he thinks. Why does everyone love his Franky so much? That's obvious, because she is kind, sweet, beautiful, talented and clever. He'd always thought so and he hated all the other guys liking her. He had liked her forever and now these other guys had got in the way of his dream. She'll realize though, she'll realize soon enough he thinks and places the photograph on top of a white envelope. An envelope that contained another photograph, the envelope that Joey had retrieved from the kitchen bin.

**

"Not long now and we can be on our way. Just one more payment from drummer boy and then we can get out of this hole," said Pam to Sven. They hi-fived and laughed together.

**

When I saw Dad later that day he didn't seem happy with me. I was in the kitchen flicking through a magazine with a cup of coffee and I could hear him come into the room but I didn't look up.

"Where were you last night Franky?" His eyes looked sad.

"I stayed at a friend's house." I couldn't look at him still.

"What friend?" questioned Tre.

"If you must know... I was at Gerard's," I said flicking the magazine page over quite roughly.

"You could have let me know, I was worried about you," he said going over to the kitchen sink to fill up the kettle with water.

"Were you?" I snapped looking up at him. "I thought maybe you would have been with Hannah or that other woman that you've got." I felt awful then and looked down at the magazine but not taking anything in.

"Yes Franky I was worried about you, I love you, and you're my daughter." I felt awful then and shouldn't really take any of this out on dad.

"I'm sorry dad but I couldn't get a signal on my phone." Poor excuse. "I'm going to take Milton for a walk," I said and left the house. Dad had pissed me off again.

I took Milton out for a walk and made the decision that I'd definitely book my ticket to see Charlie over in England. It would give me a while before the record came out. It would get radio play but wouldn't be able to be bought. Everyone must hate me at the moment round here and could probably do without my face being around and I needed to get away from everything, or may be just one particular person.

When I got back Dad was still loitering around the kitchen clearing up and sorting out washing and stuff.

"Listen Franky," dad said suddenly. "Has Billie said anything to you at all about the band breaking up?"

"What band breaking up?" I said confused and letting Milton off his lead.

"Us, Green Day," said Dad putting some towels away in a drawer. His head was slumped down.

"No, no way. What the fuck? You're kidding Dad. Stop it, this isn't happening," I said to him. He wasn't looking at me and I knew then that he was sad.

"Well... it may be," he said.

"Shit dad, no." This wasn't happening, it couldn't be. "May be its like before... all those years ago when you didn't communicate properly and had a little break... maybe that's it... have a little break and you can begin again. Dad I feel sick about this you can't mean it surely."

He turned and came over to me then and we hugged.

"Franky I just don't know, Billie said he hasn't written since the last tour, its been a few months now, normally he's got loads of songs going around in his head. Mike's spending loads of time with Jen as if he can't get enough of her and me... well... I don't know what I'm going to do," He said gripping me tight.

"Oh Dad I'm sorry if it has come to this. Is it my fault?" I was worried now, would I be the cause of Green Day splitting up? They couldn't split up, no. This was stupid talk.

"Oh honey no, we're three grown men, I'm sure we can make a decision amongst ourselves without any outside influences, its got nothing to do with you," he said still holding tightly on to me.

"Oh Dad, I really need to get away for a break. I'm definitely going to book up to see Charlie; I think I'll call the airline right now. Do you mind if I go?"

"I don't mind if its what you want. Are you sure about this?" he said sadly.

"Yeah I'm sure, I've been thinking of it for a while now."

"OK baby, whatever makes you happy and yeah," he said looking at me now "when you come back, you're going to hit the public with the Xtras that right?" He said stroking at my face.

"That's right, but I need time to think things through and to get my head together." I said.

**

I rang the airline and booked an open-ended ticket to London for Friday. I was so pleased that I had done it. I desperately needed to get away. The trip to Charlie in London would be ideal for me to have time to clear my head of all sorts of mixed-up feelings and thoughts tattoosand hopefully when I return it'll be like a fresh start and we can get the Xtras going big time.

**

When Gerard let himself back into the apartment after dropping Franky home he suddenly felt so alone. He tidied away the cushions with a smile on his face remembering the night before and found a cherry lip-gloss underneath them. It had been the best night ever for him and he had been with a fair number of girls in the past, lets face it he was past thirty. He opened the top of the lip-gloss and licked the end of it. Cherries. Franky.

Suddenly he realized that he had some sort of different feelings for Franky. He'd never felt like this over anyone before. The tiny quirky English girl with the sparkly blue eyes, cherry lips and soft skin had taken him by surprise. He even felt as though he wanted to take her home to meet his parents, which was almost unheard of. He'd never taken a girl home before. What was wrong with him? Shit I hope I haven't frightened her off though with my talk about being a free spirit and not wanting to settle down. I'll have to put that right when I see her next he thought.

His phone rang. "Oh hi bro. Yep. I see. OK then. When is the flight now then? Oh right ok. See you then Mikey."

The tour had been put off for a couple of days. What did this mean? It meant that he could see Franky again before he went; he could go to her 18th birthday party being held the next evening. He picked up his phone and sent a text to her immediately.

HI TINY. GUESS WHAT? I'M NOT GOING ON TOUR UNTIL THURS. THIS MEANS I CAN COME DOWN TO THE RESTAURANT FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY.

Franky's heart stopped. He wanted to see her again? But she'd now booked the flight to England for Friday. Oh well. And he wanted to come to the restaurant for her birthday. It was her 18th birthday tomorrow and Gerard was going to make it. That would be wonderful.

I'M SURE THEY'LL LET GIRAFFES INTO THE RESTAURANT. WE'LL BE THERE ABOUT 7PM. LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU. F. PS DID I LEAVE A LIP GLOSS AT YOURS BY ANY CHANCE?

Reply immediately...

YES. YOU DID. CAN'T I KEEP IT? G

Franky responds...

IF YOU WANT TO, WHAT DO YOU WANT IT FOR? F

Gerard says...

GIRAFFES OFTEN GET DRY CHAPPED LIPS - DIDN'T YOU KNOW?

Franky sends...

I DO NOW. ENJOY USING IT. C YOU 2MORO. XXX

Midnight...

"Hey Mikey," said Gerard into the phone.

"Hi Bro are you OK? Its quite late you know."

"Yeah I know," Gerard said.

"Anything wrong?" said Mikey concerned.

"Yeah kinda," said Gerard.

"What is it man? It's not mom and dad is it?" he said.

"No man, nothing like that," said Gerard.

"What then? What's wrong?" said Mikey.

"I think I'm in love," he said simply.

"Fucking hell Gerard, it's about time. You're 33 and you're finally in love. Who's the lucky lady? No wait. Let me guess, it has to be Franky Cool."

"Yeah. How did you guess?" smiled Gerard to himself.

"When I saw you together back at the Grammy's you looked just right together," said Mikey.

"Really?" said Gerard. His brother hadn't mentioned this to him before.

"Yeah. I didn't say anything because I know what you are like," he laughed. "Have you told her?"

"No, she's going to England for a couple of months to visit her friend Charlie. Do you remember him?"

"Vaguely," said Mikey trying to think back. "Gerard, you've got to tell her before she goes."

"No Mikey, I can't, I'm shit scared," said Gerard.

"What of?" said Mikey.

"Of telling her."

"Why bro?"

"Because I don't think she feels the same way and I'll make a fool of myself," he said.

"Don't be stupid Gerard, she should know. You could have something here," said Mikey.

"I'm not entirely sure." Gerard said.

"Why?" said Mikey.

"Well if she had any feelings for me, then why go off to England for so long. I'm not used to feelings like this. I'll see how everything is when she gets back and we're back from the tour."

"OK man," Said Mikey.

"I'll see you sometime tomorrow bro," said Gerard

"Yeah," said Mikey "And Gerard?"

"Yeah?"

"She is lovely you know," said Mikey.

"I know dude, I don't need reminding."

Franky's 18th birthday party

... Tre looked at his daughter entering the restaurant with her friend. I have to go and hug her immediately he thinks. I am so lucky to have such a beautiful daughter. Her mom would have been so proud of her tonight. She's grown into a beautiful woman Sammi he thinks to himself as he walks towards her. Thank you for giving me her...

*

... James anxiously watches Franky enter the restaurant. I love you he thinks to himself. I love you so much and I've been a fool. I know you have sort of forgiven me but you'll never forget what I did to you and neither will I. Will you ever love me back? I doubt it... I'll just have to live in hope. You never know, I could change your mind...

*

... Joey looks at Franky coming through the door. Oh my god here she is and I love you so much. He reaches for his camera and takes a snap of her smiling all over her face, greeting Tre. Another photograph to add to my collection he thinks...

*

... Billie looks over at Franky entering the restaurant. He is standing right at the back and edges slightly forward so that he can see her. She's so small she's hidden from view but he catches her face through the gap in the people. I love you he thinks. I love you and want to be with you. What can I do about it? You don't love me back; you've made that perfectly clear. Oh my god I'm just going to have to live with it. He edges back slightly just in case someone sees him looking a bit to intently...

*

... Adrienne edges forward to look at her husband watching Franky. He loves her she thinks. Look at the way he is looking at her. He used to look at me like that and it's my entire fault. Why the hell did I ever get involved with that Pam woman? How stupid I am. Can we ever get back what we once had she thinks? Do I want back what we once had or have we moved on? Does Franky love you back? I don't think she does but what if she grows to? What will happen then?

*

... Gerard is standing quite near to the back with the rest of his band but he can see over everyone's head without a problem. There she is. Fuck I'd forgotten how lovely she is. Look at her gorgeous face and sparkling eyes. She's smiling away and hugging her dad. I've never felt like this about anyone else before. Does this mean I love her? Who knows? Maybe I do.

I'd certainly like to get to know her lots more but how can I when I'm touring Europe and she's away for a while. Maybe when she gets back. Something makes him look over towards Adrienne. Whose she looking at, she doesn't look too happy? Oh it's Billie Joe.

He glances towards Billie and notices the look on his face while watching Franky. Billie loves Franky, that's quite obvious to see. Shit. The married man and his wife is her friend. Oh my god. Franky has slept with Billie. How the hell can I compete with him? Maybe there is something between them, by the look on Adrienne's face there could be. Let's just take things slowly he thinks to himself. See how things go when I get back from tour. I'll probably have gotten over her by then. I don't usually spend more than a week or so with one woman anyway...

*

"Happy Birthday Franky," everyone is cheering and breaking into everyone's thoughts.

"Thanks," says Franky looking around at all the familiar faces of the people she loves. "Thanks so much, thank you for coming," she says a little bashfully.

She notices Joey and Billie staring at her. Please don't she thinks. Please don't look at me in that way, you are too young Joey and you Billie should be with Adrienne. Stop staring; you're both freaking me out. Oh there's James but he's looking a bit forlorn. Well you blew it mate and .. yes.. he's here at the back. Can't mistake him with his jet-black hair, tall figure and those mesmerizing eyes. I'm glad you came she thinks. I really would like to spend loads of time with you and get to know you, but I don't think you want me in that way.

Franky had a wonderful meal with her friends and family and afterwards Tre had arranged taxis for everyone to go back to his house and party on for as long as they wanted in the garden...