Sequel: Purple Hearts

Cherry Lips And Tattoos

Sammi's Letter

Franky was sitting in the garden talking to James about the band.

"So the record will be aired on the radio for a couple of weeks before anyone can buy it," he said "and then it'll hit the shops and hopefully we'll have interviews and press stuff to do," said James.

"You're really excited aren't you?" Franky said to him. You couldn't mistake it, he was so excited about the band, and well they all were.

"Very. Are you?" said James.

"Yeah, but I'm a little nervous though and I haven't told you this but I'm going away for a few weeks," she said.

"WHAT?" said James. Fuck. He was trying his hardest to make it up to Franky. He loved this girl and he knew he had to be careful after what he'd done to her. He wanted to take things so slowly but to prove to her at the same time that he cared for her. Now she was going away for a while. How could he show her how much he loved her now?

"Yes, it's only for a few weeks," she said. "Maybe a month."

"Its not what I did is it Franky, that's sending you away?" said James ashamed.

"No, may be a little but its fine James. I have all sorts of stuff going on in my head and I need to get away and refresh before everything takes off."

"OK," he said looking down "Just you make sure you come back now, don't go running out on us," he said.

"Of course I won't" said Franky. "Come here," and she put her arms out to hug him. She did like James and she sort of had forgiven him. She'd never quite forget though and she knew that there would be nothing between them. He'd abused her trust.

"Franky?" Said Tre coming up to them. He had something in his hand, it looked like an envelope.

"Hi dad," said Franky, "Are you OK?" she said looking at her father.

"I'm fine baby." He looked over at James. "Could I have a minute with Franky?" Tre said.

"Sure Tre, I was going to get another drink anyway," said James.

Tre came and sat down next to Franky on the bench.

"Are you having a good time honey?" said Tre.

"Its great thanks dad, I didn't want a huge party and the meal at the Chopstock bowl was ideal and having a few good friends back here.. is perfect," she said. "What's that?" she said looking at Tre nervously fingering the envelope.

"It's the letter," said Tre.

"What letter?" said Franky.

"The letter from your mom for you to open on your 18th," said Tre. This was surreal he thought.

Franky's hand flew to her mouth and she went cold. "Oh my god dad I'd forgotten about that."

"Here it is," said Tre handing over the envelope.

Franky read the beautiful writing. "To Franky. To be opened on your 18th birthday".

"I can't open it," said Franky. "I'm scared."

"Hey now, come here," said Tre giving her a hug. "Of course you must open it."

"I know but it shocked me seeing her writing again," said Franky. "What will it say?"

"There's only one way to find out," said Tre giving her the envelope. "Open it."

Franky hesitated and just glared down at the writing on the front of the envelope.

"Do you want me to go?" said Tre.

"Not sure," said Franky still staring at the writing.

"Look. I'll go. I'll be over there if you need me," said Tre pointing further up the garden.

"OK Dad," said Franky.

Tre got up then and kissed her on the top of her head and left his daughter alone to read the letter from her dead mother. How weird was this thought Tre.

Franky hesitated for a little while before she opened the letter. She tore it open and took the piece of paper out. It was folded. She slowly unfolded it and started to read.

"Hey you 18 year old. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

I hope you are having a wonderful day and I wish I were there to witness you blowing out 18 candles on your cake. Did you manage to get them all blown out at once? I'm sure you did, you're particular like that.

Well how beautiful are you? I bet you're knock em dead beautiful and they are queuing up for you unless you are hopelessly and madly in love with one particular person. I wonder if you are with anyone special. If you are I hope it works out for you baby and if you're not don't worry that special guy will turn up some time. Maybe he has turned up already and you haven't even realised it.

I hope you are happy. I hope you are smiling and are still laughing at your dad's daft jokes. Does he still act the clown? I bet he does, he'll never change but I hope he's happy and has he found anyone? He deserves someone special, what a lucky lady she'll be having him on her arm.

You are a grown woman now with a mind of your own. I hope you are following your dream and I hope by now you have formed that band otherwise all those years of me scrimping and saving for those drum lessons have gone to waste. No seriously, you're talented Franky, go for it and show the world what you can do.

Happy birthday sweetheart

I love you

Mum
Xxx


Franky's tears dripped onto the page but she didn't fight them. Suddenly Tre was over as he'd been secretly watching her had a feeling that this would happen.

"Its OK baby," he said taking her in his arms and stroking her hair. He wasn't sure whether this letter had been a good thing or not but he had to honour Sammi's wishes of course he did.

"I'm ok dad really, its just a little upsetting and I still wish she was here. You can read it if you like," she said.

"Are you sure honey?" said Tre.

"Of course I'm sure, there's a bit about you in it. You'll laugh," she sniffed.

James turned up then with a drink for Franky and had realised what had happened.

"I'm sorry... I'll come back in a minute," he said.

"No it's OK," said Franky glancing up at James.

"No I'm going in for a while," said Tre thinking about the letter and not sure if he could bring himself to read it.

James sat down and handed Franky a drink of cherry cola.

"You know you said that you're going away," said James.

"Yeah" said Franky, her mind still on her mother's letter.

"Well... there is something I want you to know before you go away. I don't want you to say anything but I have to tell you," he said. He'd thought long and hard about this in the kitchen and he realised that this was his chance to tell her. He had to tell her how he felt.

"What is it James?" said Franky blowing her nose into a tissue.

"Franky I'm in love with you," he said looking into her eyes but Franky glanced away.

"Oh James," she said. Oh crap.

"I had to tell you Franky and I couldn't let you go away without telling you," said James confidently. He didn't care now, he realised that she had to know.

"Oh my god I don't know what to say to you," Franky said.

"I don't think you'll ever love me back," he said "but maybe if you know how I feel things could change between us. Hug?" he said putting out his arms.

They hugged for a short while and then James stood up.

"I'm sorry if I embarrassed you but I had to say it," he said and then he sheepishly went off back up towards the house.

Franky sat back down on the garden bench still holding her mother's letter. Fuck it James you do pick your moments.

She thought about the letter then and the tears began again.

"Titch are you OK?" said Billie coming over, he had something in his hand, and it looked like a CD in a plastic wallet.

"Not really," said Franky. "Read this," she said handing over the letter to Billie. She didn't mind him reading it; after all, he had known her mother too.

"Fuck babe," he said putting his arm around her. He noticed a tear roll down her cheek and he got a finger and gently wiped it away. Could you just run your tongue over my bottom lip while you're here. Stop it.

He handed back the letter.

"Listen Franky, I have something for you." And handed her the CD.

"What is it?" she asked him.

"Oh, just something I recorded, a special 18th birthday song just for you," he grinned his toothy grin. Fucking hell your eyes Billie, stop looking at me like that I am so not used to you looking at me in that way.

"Can I listen to it now?" she said. "Shall I put it on the CD player?"

"Actually I'd rather you saved it until you are alone, it's a little personal," he said.

"Oh," said Franky, confused. "Right."

"Franky I know you're going away tomorrow to England. I just have to say this before you go."

"Please Billie..."

He put a finger to her lips and her stomach went to pieces.

"No... listen," he said.

"I have to tell you once more that I love you. It's definitely over between Adi and me, no going back, we've both decided that and we're telling the boys tomorrow. It's going to be painful I know but we're going to sort stuff out."

He couldn't stop looking at Franky and she too was mesmerized by him.

"I just wanted to say that... when you get back... if there's a possibility of us being together..."

"Billie, I'm so sorry, how many times do I have to say it... it won't work." And she looked away from him.

"Really? Is that it then?" he said.

"That's it then," said Franky. Why am I so stubborn, why?

"Nothing I can do or say?" Well you could run your tongue over my bottom lip.

"No Billie, I'm sorry," she said.

He kissed her cheek then and she had to fight the urge to just grab him and tell him that he was what she wanted but it was so wrong, he had kids that she loved, Adi who she loved.

"Billie can you imagine what would happen if we got together and all this got out. I'd be a hated, stalked woman by all your fans. It would do the Xtras no good at all."

"What do you mean? How could anyone hate you?" said Billie.

"Oh Billie, look at all your fans, they love you so much, they idolise you. Have you been on any of your websites, they adore you and they adore Adi. They love Adi as much as they love you. I'd be the hated woman that came between you," she half laughed.

"No you wouldn't because all the fan sites love you too, your Tre Cool's daughter after all," he said.

"I'm not convinced," said Franky.

"So that's it then?" said Billie trying his hardest.

"That's it," said Franky finally.

He kissed her cheek again.

"Have a safe trip, I'm going to miss you sweetie you know that. See you soon babe," and then he was gone.

She read the letter one last time and then put it back in the envelope. Oh mum. I am so confused. Two guys have just told me they love me and I don't know what to do.

"Franky are you OK down here on your own?" Gerard asked.

"Hi Gerard," she said looking up at him. "I'm fine thank you."

Gerard handed her a glass of cherry cola and laughed.

"Look this was the last of the cherry cola. I don't believe that someone has been drinking it," he said. "Was it you?"

"Actually, I thought it was you," Franky smiled. He loved her smile.

"Maybe we have a phantom cherry coke drinker," I said. "by the name of Gerard."

"You look sad," said Gerard suddenly.

"I am a little, I've just read a letter from my mum; dad had kept it for me until I got to 18. How weird is that?"

"Shit Franky. Are you OK?"

"I think so, but I could do with a hug though," she said.

"Come here then," said Gerard. He put down his drink and held Franky to him. God he loved this girl, had never felt like this over anyone before. Fuck it, what was he to do? He'd noticed that James kid over here all over her and then Billie Joe was here too, hugging and kissing her. Geeze, may be it would be best if he just left the situation alone.. and carry on with what he was used to... no women baggage.

"Shall we meet up when you're in London?" she suddenly said to him.

"Hey... why not," How could he resist.

"I'll call you or you call me," she said. "You have my number, I'm in London from Friday for may be a month or so. When are you there?" she asked him.

"We're going to Paris on Sunday and then we should be in Ireland so London will be the weekend after. Yeah, we must meet up and then you can come backstage with the guys, they'd like that too," said Gerard.

"Yeah. Lets do that," said Franky. "And you must meet Charlie, you'll love him."

"I think I remember him from your party years ago," said Gerard.

"Yeah. He's even taller than you Mr. G for Giraffe," she laughed.

He hugged her close then and could smell her perfume.

"What's that perfume that you wear?" he said

"Oh that.. it's Coco Chanel's Mademoiselle... Mum used to wear it," she said sadly.

"It's gorgeous," he said.

"Thanks," she replied.

Tre came over then and they sat up.

"Listen honey, most people are leaving and I think you should say goodbye to them," he said.

"Hi Gerard, are you OK?" Tre said turning to Gerard. Tre was glad that he was talking to Franky. He had seen James talking to Franky and the way he looked at her... he wasn't sure about the kid and didn't really trust him and definitely didn't think he was right for his Franky and then he caught sight of Billie. Damn you Billie, why can't you just leave his daughter alone. Whereas Gerard here, Gerard seemed so much more right for Franky somehow. He liked the guy and regretted trying to come between them after the Grammy's.

"Fine Tre, I'm fine thanks."

Franky got up off the bench and Tre and Gerard watched the beautiful girl walk up the garden to the house to say goodbye to her guests. She was still holding on tightly to her mother's letter and they noticed something else that she was holding, it looked like a CD.

Later...

All that was left was Billie, Mike and Jen and Hannah who was staying over. Franky yawned.

"You have a big day tomorrow," said Jen. "What time is your flight?"

"Dad's dropping me at the airport at 6am, the flights at 7.30," said Franky.

"Well have a good trip, sweetheart, and say hi to that gorgeous Charlie for me," she said

"I will do Aunt Jen," said Franky kissing her Aunt on the cheek.

"Bye Uncle Mike," she said stretching up to kiss Mike. He bear hugged her. "Oh my god uncle Mike you haven't bear-hugged me like that in years."

"I know," he said. "I thought I'd forgotten how to do it. Have a wonderful trip and bring us back some chocolate," he laughed.

"Of course I will. Bye," she said to him and they left the room.

Billie stood up then. It was just us two in the room. Mike and Jen were leaving and dad was at the front door saying goodbye. Hannah had already said goodnight and was in my room.

"I meant what I said," said Billie, his hands in his pockets.

"I know you did Billie." I couldn't look at him and I felt like crying.

He came to me and squeezed me tight and his hair tickled me. I fought the urge to grab him but just pecked him on his soft cheek.

"Bye Billie," I said.

"Bye babe," he said. He glanced back at me once more before he left the room.

**

I quickly put the CD that he gave me into my hand luggage and zipped it up before going upstairs to my room. Hannah was getting changed and was in her bra and panties.

"That was some party," she said.

"Do you think?" said Franky. "Oh my god Hannah, how much weight have you lost?" Franky was concerned for her friend. "I can see your ribs."

"Oh good. Can you really?" said Hannah.

"Hannah what have you been doing to yourself. Are you eating?" she said visibly shocked by her friend's appearance. Why hadn't she noticed this before?

"Of course I'm eating," lied Hannah.

"Oh Hannah don't be silly, no you haven't, it's obvious and I'm worried about you. How can I go away tomorrow with you like this? You need to speak to your mom." Why hadn't Susan noticed?

"Oh her, she's busy with some guy. I'm sure she's seeing someone but won't let on to us. Why can't she just bring him home, get him out in the open so that we can all meet him. What's with all this secret dating? God she winds me up."

"Did dad speak to you tonight," said Franky

"Yeah a little, actually Franky, hardly at all" she said sadly. She'd spent most of the night with Ed, they'd got pretty close of late.

"Hannah I have to tell you something before I go away. Its been eating away at me and I need to say it before I go."

"What?" said Hannah getting into bed.

"Its dad, he's seeing someone else, someone more his own age."

"Oh," she said tears forming.

"I'm sorry but he thought that you and he were... just sort of... like a casual relationship."

Franky didn't know how to explain it and she hated her father for doing this to her friend.

"Really?" said Hannah who was so disappointed.

"Yeah, I'm sorry honey," she said cradling her friend. "My god Hannah you are skin and bone."

"No I'm not Franky. So that's it with Tre and me, all he wanted me for was sex... that right?" said Hannah.

"Oh please don't put it like that Hannah."

"But he did Franky. He wanted me for sex," she said.

"Didn't you just want to have sex with him though?" said Franky cringing at talking about her father in this way.

"Yeah but I thought it would be a little more," sniffed Hannah.

"I'm so sorry." Said Franky. "But don't worry he knows how angry I am about all this. Listen I'm going early in the morning, I don't want to disturb you."

"No, its fine, I don't really want to be alone with Tre when he gets back... I don't want him thinking I just want him for sex," she said. "I'll get up when you do and then... just go on home," she said.

"Oh Hannah," said Franky. "There's someone somewhere for you like there's probably someone somewhere for me."

"Do you think we'll ever find them?" she said.

"Who knows?" said Franky thinking the same thing.