Sequel: Purple Hearts

Cherry Lips And Tattoos

I love him

Her question shocked me. I thought I'd kept it well hidden. My heart was pounding. Was it that obvious?

I couldn't answer her and couldn't look at her, just carried putting my song sheets away in a folder. My face flushed.

"You have haven't you?" she said coming over and putting her arm round my shoulders.

Had I? I'd tried hiding it for so many years sometimes I fooled myself into thinking that I didn't really have any feelings for him.

"Its OK." she said. "I wasn't quite sure. I'm sure it wasn't at all obvious to anyone else, it's just that I've seen you look at James sort of like that. How long?" she asked.

"Always" I said. "I've always felt this way. I've hidden my feelings all the time. It's a lost cause he's happily married with Adi. He loves her, I love her and I'd never do anything to jeopardise that. It's just a love I have for him that I keep under wraps. I need to be with someone else to get him out of my system. I've never met anybody else I really like up until James."

"James really likes you," she said.

"I think I knew that. Should I ask him out do you think?" I said looking into her eyes.

"I think he'll be doing that sometime soon," she said. "He asked me this morning if whether he asked you out on a date you would go. I just told him to ask and find out for himself."

"Oh my god" I said getting all flustered again. James really did like me.

"Hey before you know it all those hidden feelings will disappear and Billie Joe will be a lost memory," she said.

"I hope so." I replied.

We finished putting the stuff away then Hannah spoke again. "Franky there's something I need to tell you" she sighed. I looked up. She looked upset.

"What is it?" I said. "You OK Hannah?" I went over to her and her eyes started filling up with tears.

"Not really. I... I've got these feelings for your dad," she said not looking at me.

"I know," I said. "You mentioned it the other day." I laughed then. "You and millions of other young girls" I said trying to cheer her up but she wasn't having any of it.

"No its more than that." said Hannah.

"What do you mean? Like my feelings for Billie Joe?" I said.

"Yeah." Said Hannah.

"Oh Hannah but you've only just met him. I've known Billie for years. Before that I had this outrageous crush on him. If I hadn't have met him it would probably of fizzled out but, yeah it started as a crush and then when I met him when I was 13.. bang, that was it"

Hannah was silent.

"Franky I've lied to you." she suddenly said.

"What do you mean?" I asked. My stomach fell.

"I've liked your dad since I was 12. I had a crush on him then and always have had. I hid it. When we moved to this area I knew he had a daughter called Francesca and that she played drums. I searched you out so that I could get close to him. I didn't bank on the fact that we would become great friends though. You're the nicest friend anyone could possibly have and I've betrayed you. I had to tell you. I can't go on being in your band if I've lied to you. I'm telling you now because... I didn't realise how strong my feelings were for your dad until I met him. Franky I think I love him."

Then she started sobbing and I didn't know what to do. She'd lied to me. The only real friend I'd had and she'd lied to me. I loved Hannah and told her everything but then no I hadn't told her everything had I? I hadn't told her about Billie and what I felt for him. May be I was as bad as her.

I went over to her and we hugged.

"Franky I'm so sorry, please forgive me. I don't want this to come between us and the band. I think we've got something in the band do you?"

I didn't know what to say. I felt sorry for her. She obviously thought she loved Dad. Like I THOUGHT I loved Billie. No I did love Billie. Did I? I didn't know anymore.

"Oh Hannah, please don't cry. I forgive you. It's a similar situation as mine. I just wish you'd told me sooner and now I wish I'd told you about Billie sooner."

"Yeah but then you wouldn't have wanted to be my friend then and I knew as soon as I saw you that I wanted to be friends even though you were Tre's daughter. I stalked you and found you but I didn't realise I'd like you. Now I love you," she sobbed.

We hugged for ages.

"What are we like." I suddenly said. "You love my dad and I love Billie Joe."

"Do you?" she said

"Hannah I don't really know. I've never been in love. I think I love him but I know I shouldn't. I need someone else. Someone who can love me back."

"James is the one, I'm sure of it," said Hannah.

"I hope so," I said.

"Sorry." said Hannah. "I'll never lie to you again."

"You'd better not." I said.

"Two more things" said Hannah. I have this scrapbook at home with everything in it. Everything I could find about Tre I could is in there. It's huge. Do you want to see it?" she said.

"No." I replied. "It's your private book. I've got dad here to look at when I want." We laughed then and hugged again.

"You said two things. What was the other?" I asked Hannah.

"Oh yeah. I've never been with a boy, you know," she said sheepishly.

"Oh Hannah. Why did you tell me you had?" I said

"To impress you," she said.

"Hannah I don't need impressing. You should know that by now."

"Yeah I do now," said Hannah who was so glad that she had everything out in the open.

**

On the way home from Franky's, Ed and James got talking.

"That was awesome man," said Ed. "Like a dream come true. Billie Joe Armstrong likes our stuff. Who'd a thought it?"

"I know, I'm still shaking here, look at my hands" and James held out his shaking fingers. "Come on lets go get a beer I think we deserve one."

"I need one, never mind deserve one," said Ed. Hey. "What are you going do about Franky? I thought you were going to ask her out today?" Said Ed.

"I was. I am. It's just all this has happened. Yeah I'll phone her tonight. Do you think she'll say yes?" said James.

"I reckon she will," said Ed. "Now come on I need that beer."

**

While drinking their beer Ed couldn't take his mind off Hannah. He'd always thought she was cool but now he had heard her voice and there was a possibility of being in a band with her well.. she was fucking awesome. I don't stand a chance. I am an ugly lanky guy who has never had a girlfriend. Who was going to look at me, let alone someone like Hannah?

***

That evening...

"Hi Mr Wright. This is James, Hannah's brother. Could I speak with Franky.. er Francesca please?" he asked his heart beating as he hadn't met Tre yet and had forgotten that he may answer the phone.

"Sure kid. One moment while I get her." he said. "Franky there's a call for you sweetie." shouted Tre. "Its some guy called James."

"Coming dad." my heart was pounding and I felt all girly and stupid. Pull yourself together.

"Hi James. You OK?" I asked.

"I'm fine Franky, you?" he said.

"I'm good. Did you enjoy earlier?" I asked.

"It was the most awesome time of my life but the reason I'm calling up is that well.. er.. would you.. er would you like to come out with me tomorrow evening?"

"I'd love to." I say calmly. Thank god for that. Someone has finally asked me out.

"How about we go for a walk round the bay and then grab a pizza?" he said.

"Sounds good to me," I said. "What time?"

"Why don't you come round here at say five o clock?" he said.

"That's great. I'll be over then." I say then I replace the receiver.

Dad was close by.

"A date huh" he said. "Who is this James kid anyway?" said Tre being the concerned father.

"James is Hannah's brother," I say. "Hannah who you met the other day" and who has the major hots for you by the way.

"Oh. You be careful now won't you." he says.

"Oh dad I'm only going out for a walk and a pizza," I said.

"Yeah well. I was your age once."

"Jeez dad I'm not like you at all," I laugh.

"Thank goodness you take after your mother," he says.

"Apart from the eyes" we both say at the same time.

Later that evening...

"Hi Franky it's Joey." Came a voice from the other end of the phone.

"Hi Joey how are you?" I ask him.

"I'm fine, I'm after a favour." He sounded nervous.

"Yeah what's that?" I reply.

"Well I've got soccer trials for the Berkeley team tomorrow and I was wondering if you could come and watch? Dad's got a photo shoot to go to and mom's got a class at the health club. I know you like soccer"

"Is it during the day?" I was thinking about my date with James.

"Yes its at 11am." said Joey.

"I'd love to come then Joey." I replied quite sincerely. I liked Joey he was a good kid and I knew how much he loved his soccer. It was a shame that Adi and Billie couldn't go with him. I would be there for him though. He could do with someone with him.

"That's great." he said sounding surprised that I'd agreed.

"Do you want me to come and collect you in dad's car?"

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Course I'm sure." I laughed.

"That'll be great. 10.30 ok with you?"

"That'll be fine Joey. See you then."

Joey couldn't wait. He wasn't going to tell his mom and dad about it or they would want to come along and watch, especially dad. He didn't know what his parents were up to tomorrow. All he knew was that he wanted to be with Franky alone.

"Joey." shouted Adrienne from downstairs. "Dinner's almost ready sweetheart."

"Coming mum." said Joey. He quickly put his photograph album away into his secret box and put it on top of the wardrobe. He'd have to get another scrap book soon as his collection of photographs was getting larger. He had exactly 150 photographs of Franky ever since he'd met her. God he loved Franky so much and couldn't wait to be 16 then he was going to ask her out. He knew she'd say yes... she just had to...