Sequel: Purple Hearts

Cherry Lips And Tattoos

Something from the past

That evening...

"Hey blue eyes" said Tre coming up behind Franky as she was reading Kerrang! at the kitchen table. He kissed her on the top of her head.

"Hi Dad. You OK?" said Franky. Tre had a weird look in his eyes.

"I'm fine. Listen. I have something for you" and he pulled out a set of car keys from his pocket. They were Sammi's car keys that belonged to her Mini Cooper. The car had been in the garage since Sammi started to get ill and couldn't drive it. Tre couldn't face looking at it let alone getting in it and driving it or even selling it for that matter.

"I think these could do with a good home," he said smiling at Franky.

"What? You're kidding. You're giving me mum's car?" said Franky

"Yeah. You got it in one. I think its time we unleashed the car don't you?" said Tre. "Your mom would have wanted it to go to a good home. This way it stays in our home and belongs to someone who'll take good care of it" he said.

"Oh Dad" said Franky standing up and hugging him. "Thank you so much".

Tre handed his daughter the set of car keys. Attached to the keys was a key ring. It was a miniature drum kit in platinum and on it was engraved where usually band's name would be "Tre and Sammi 01-01-06".

"I vaguely remember this key ring," said Franky. "Didn't mum give it to you as a wedding gift? It's the date of your anniversary isn't it?" she said.

"That's right," said Tre remembering. "Hey come on, cheer up" said Tre looking at his beautiful daughter. "Lets get in that garage and see if she starts shall we?" he said.

"Yeah lets," said Franky and with that the pair of them walked out of the front of the house and over to the double garage by the side.

Tre hit the remote control that opened the doors and they opened slowly. There she was. The bright red mini cooper with the union jack roof. It had been Tre's wedding gift to Sammi. She had loved it and everyone knew who she was when she drove around in it and loads of people waved at her as she went by. She had been very well loved in the area.

The car was very dusty. It hadn't been touched for years. Franky clicked the button on the keys and she could hear a click. The car unlocked. She went to the door, opened it and got in. Sadness suddenly engulfed her remembering being the car with her mum but she fought it for her dad. She sat in the car and smelt the leather from the seats. She held onto the steering wheel tightly.

Tre hid his emotions too for the sake of his daughter. Fuck! She looked like Sammi sitting there. If you quickly glanced it could have been her. It was like stepping back in time.

"I love it dad," said Franky checking the mirrors and moving them around a bit to adjust them to her small frame.

She looked about her and then glanced over at the glove compartment. She opened it.

"Oh my god" said Franky. "Look. There's something of mum's in here".

"What is it?" said Tre his heart pounding.

"Her sunglasses" said Franky getting them out from the glove compartment.

"They're those expensive ones. You know the ones she liked but thought were too extravagant. You bought them for her anyway. Like you always did. You were always buying her things weren't you dad?" said Franky.

"Yeah I loved treating her," said Tre. "Hey lets open the trunk, there may be something in there" he said.

"Why not" said Franky.

Tre clicked the key ring and they could hear the trunk unlock.

Franky lifted the door of the trunk and there was a holdall inside.

"Oh my god its mum's holdall that she used to take to the gym" said Franky lifting the small bag out.

She unzipped it and there was a pair of trainers and a tracksuit that Sammi always wore to the gym. Tre took the tracksuit from Franky and sniffed at it. He didn't speak.

"Oh dear" said Franky bringing out of the bag about three cherry lip glosses. "I remember these. These were the first ones I bought. Can't remember putting them in mum's bag though" she laughed. Tre was still quiet.

There was a small wash bag in the holdall with some deodorant spray and some spare make up, hairbrush and bottle of perfume.

"Her favourite." Said Franky. "Coco Chanel's Mademoiselle" she said undoing the stopper and taking a sniff. "This is mum," said Franky. "Here dad, take a sniff," she said holding up the bottle to Tre's nose. He took a sniff. "That's your mom alright," he said reminiscing.

"Hey what's this?" said Franky. She brought out a book from the bag. It looked like a diary and it was covered in stickers. Some were childish stickers, there were ballerinas and instruments and some old green day ones. "Its some sort of book that mum must have kept," said Franky.

Franky opened the first page of the book and read out loud what it said:

"SAMMI'S JOURNAL. KEEP OUT"in young colourful felt-tipped writing with loads of doodles and drawings around it. There was a date 23rd September 1985

"God mum was only 13 when she started this book," said Franky. There's not a lot of writing in it, mainly little drawings and pictures. Lets read it shall we dad?" said Franky.

"Its OK honey, you read it. I don't think I could."

"You OK dad?" said Franky looking at Tre

"You know what baby, I'm fine. I think I've finally got over being the blubbering wreck that I used to be. I can now sniff at your mom's perfume and clothes without bursting in to tears. I have wonderful memories of your mom but I don't think I'm going to break down anymore. Here, give me a hug. I may read the journal one day but you enjoy looking through it. Let me know if I'm in it" he laughed.

"Oh dad, come here" and they hugged together. After a while they packed Sammi's things back into the back, locked up the car and garage and walked into the house together.

That night...

Franky was in bed and decided to settle down to have a look at her mom's journal.

September 1985 (aged 13)

I am 13 and I had a dream that I was going to be famous one day. I don't know why I just did. Why will I be famous? I don't sing, dance or act or even play an instrument. May be I'll marry a major rock star and we'll live happily ever after and have loads of children. May be I'll marry Bono Yes. That's it. When I'm older I'll probably marry Bono.


Oh Mum. You did marry a famous rock star. Dad. How funny.

And Franky fell asleep thinking about what her mother had written in her journal.

The next day...

Franky sent a text off to Charlie.

GUESS WOT? I'VE GOT A DATE WITH JAMES. WE R GOING FOR A WALK AND A PIZZA. I CAN'T WAIT. TELL U ABOUT IT LATERS X

A reply came back half an hour later

FINALLY YOU ARE GOING OUT WITH SOMEONE!! HAV A WONDERFUL TIME. MAY BE YOU'LL SOON BE GETTING A PURPLE TATTOO ON YOUR WRIST WITH JAMES' NAME ON IT X

She replied straight away

SHUT UP ABOUT THAT WILL YOU. I WISH I HADNT TOLD YOU NOW XXX

A little later...

Franky pulled up onto the Armstrong's drive in her mom's mini cooper. She was a little early but already Joey was waiting at the front door. He was such a sweet boy thought Franky, so kind and thoughtful to her.

"Hi Franky" said Joey getting into the car with a big grin on his face "you look nice. Dad told me that you would be coming round in your mom's car. Tre called last night to let him know. I remember her driving it. It suits you too."

"Why thanks Joey" said Franky. She could smell Billie Joe's aftershave on him. "Are you nervous?"

"Not at all. Just excited really," he said. "Hey I heard about your tattoo. Is it the same as your mom's"?

"Yes, exactly the same" she said. " It was so painful."

"So you won't be getting another one done then?" he said

"I think I may but not until I find the person I want to marry and spend the rest of my life with," said Franky. Now why had I suddenly come out with that? No one was meant to know.

"Oh and what would that tattoo be?" said Joey taking a real interest.

"I'd like a little purple heart on the inside of my wrist and next to it the guy's name." Why was she telling him this?

"How cool" said Joey.

"What about you?" said Franky. "Do you think you'll ever get one"?

"Nah. There's enough tattoos in our house as it is," they both laughed.

They pulled up at the soccer field and Joey rushed off to the changing rooms to get changed. Lots of the guys were pointing over at Franky.

"Whose that?" said a couple of the guys

"That's Franky Cool," said Joey

"Tre Cool's daughter?" said another.

"Yeah" said Joey proudly.

"Hot stuff" said another

"Very nice" said someone else

"Yeah I know," said Joey. "When I'm old enough I'm gonna ask her out" he said

"Fuck off" they laughed, "You won't stand a chance," they said.

Joey just thought to himself that they could laugh. He'd be the one with Franky on his arm one day... he just knew it.

The match went well and Joey was picked to play for the Berkeley team. The entire time he was playing he was aware of Franky on the sidelines jumping up and down and cheering him on. She looked so cute standing there waving and calling out his name, he could almost pretend that she was already his girlfriend. He loved her so much. I could give you the world thought Joey if you could only give me the chance when I'm older...

**

Adrienne pulls up onto Tre's driveway. And reluctantly knocks on his door. She hated doing this to Tre, but it was only the one date and then Pam could go take a hike.

She rang the bell and Tre answered quicker than she thought he would.

"Hi Adi. This is a surprise," said Tre

"Yeah I have a favor to ask you," said Adi

"Come on in. Anything for you Adi" said Tre.

You are such a lovely man thought Adi, following Tre through to the Kitchen. I hate betraying you. What is going on in my life at the moment? I had it all, loving husband, children, and wonderful friends and now I've blown it all because of that bitch Pam. I'm sure she drugged me there was no way...

"Coffee?" Said Tre interrupting her thoughts

"Please" said Adi sitting down at the table.

"What can I do for you honey? You Ok Adi? you look a little pale," said Tre all concerned.

"I'm fine but it's just a favor really. You remember Pam?"

"Plastic Pam" laughed Tre

"Tre". Said Adi in a scolding voice.

"What about her?" asked Tre.

"Well.. I've sort of put my foot in it. She wants to come out with us for a meal with Billie and myself to get to know a few people in the area and.. well.. I don't think Billie wants to go unless he has a friend with him. I immediately thought of you," she said

"Well thanks" said Tre, "what have I done to deserve that?"

"I'm sorry. You are single and you know what Billie's like. He'll go now that you are coming."

"OK, but just for one night. It's not a date is it?"

"No, just the four of us out for a meal." lied Adi.

"OK Adi, but its just for you you know". He said drinking his coffee. "What's Billie up to today?"

"Oh he's on that girly photoshoot magazine thing," laughed Adi

"Oh right. God the girlies love him don't they."

"Yeah they do". So do I Adi thinks but its all falling apart before my eyes.

"Adi are you sure nothing is bothering you?" said Tre

"Nothing at all Tre" said Adi. " I'm just a little tired for some reason. I'm getting older you know, and not as lively as I once was."

"We're all a little less lively" said Tre. "Well may be apart from one person I know," he said

"Billie" they said in unison and laughed.

"So when are we going out then?" Tre asked.

"How about tomorrow night, we'll go to the Chopstick Bowl shall we?" said Adrienne.

"OK. Shall I drive?" said Tre

"Actually, Pam has offered."

"Oh OK"

"Yep she said she'd collect Billie and I and then we'll come and get you, around 7pm ok?"

"Fine I suppose" said Tre sounding unenthusiastic.

"Look I'd better get on my way, loads to do, you know what its like" said Adi getting up to leave the house.

Tre followed her and stood at the door to wave her off but she didn't look up just drove off without acknowledging him.

Unlike Adi thought Tre. Something is definitely bothering her. Then he turned and closed the door...