In Life And Death

Sanity

In a dark room inside his mind he stood in the corner with a knife.
Curled up with a knife to his wrists, getting up the courage to slit and be in peace.
His last thoughts are none at all for he has thought it through and there was nothing else to do.
Just one swipe will end his life and put his soul in peace forever more.
Counting down from ten he shuts his eyes tight and hopes he won’t live to see tonight.
He reaches one, but for the tenth time his hands fails to prove he has the courage to do what his mind tells him to.

“One more time… just one time, one more chance, do this thing you big disgrace!”
He starts again, this time from five, counting down… five feels like ten, ten feels like twenty, one feels like an eternity away with one swipe end this day.
Reaching three he knows that he won’t reach one; at two his slit his wrist and starts to bleed.
Opened his eyes, the blood looks black and there’s no turning back, “You finally did it you crazy fuck.”
There is nothing more to fear, just lay down and wait for the peace of death to appear.
Dropped the knife, lays on his side, darkness became even darker. His heart beat faster and faster, pumping more blood out of his wrist, but that too started to fade.
He could hear no sound, see to light. His eyes wide, but darkness has them covered.
He waited for his soul to hover up into the air like he always imagined.
For a moment there was peace, there was silence.

Then he opened his eyes, he was still in his room.
Looked at his twist was open wide, but no blood was left inside.
He has covered all in blood, totally confused he stood.
Was this heaven or was this hell?
Is this the afterlife or is this death?
There was a knock on the door, and the knocking traveled down the floor.
The knocking was right under him, he tried to move away, but it fallowed.
The only thing that he could do was go out the door, but suddenly there were two.
A mirror image of each other they stood side by side, the knocking underneath has stopped, but he could not notice, for his heart was now the loudest.
His father had once told him “Right is right, but right is wrong in land above.” he never knew what that meant until this very moment.

With his slit wrist he reaches for the door, he can feel that something was wrong.
Hesitant he counted down from five, at four he opened up the door.
There was nothing… but a dead end hallway, with only mirrors all along.
Walking slowly, in the first mirror he saw his mother cry.
In the second he saw his brother die.
In the third he saw his little sister all grown up and laying in a room much like his.
In the forth he saw his father, but he was not crying, or dying, or lying, he just stood and looked, his eyes mirrored his every step.
In the last he saw himself… a reflection of himself, but something was different, his wrist was not slit, his clothes were all clean. He got closer and put his hand on the mirror and took a close look at his former self.
His reflection had never been so clear. It grabbed his hand as it lay on the mirror, pulled him in and he disappeared.

January 5th 1994, The Woods family suffered another tragedy when twenty-one year-old Ronald L. Woods was found dead in this college dorm room after concerned family and staff had not heard from him for a two week. The cause of death was a massive slit to his left wrist. The weapon was found to be a butterfly knife found in the floor by his body. Ronald leaves behind a Mother, Father and baby sister. “Another tragic suicide.” reported the inspecting officer.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
This was originally a poem, that got way too long.

Characters and events are fictional.
My condolences go to anyone who has lost someone in a similar event.
© Rossen.