Status: Completed.

The Shorter the Skirt The Greater the Fame

16

BLAKE;S P.O.V.

"Have you been taking your medications?"

"Well im alive, arent i?"

"Blake!"

"What Mom, it was a stupid question."

"Mrs. Kelly this is normal. She looks really good and everything seems fine. Any questions?"

"When am i gonna die?" i asked as everyone in the room got quiet.

I looked at my Mom who had tears in her eyes and then back at Danny and he was swallowing pretty hard. I looked at the Doctor and she was just looking at me and then back down at her clip board.

"Um i asked the question an answer would be nice."

"Blake, thats not a ethical question with a logical reason behind it."

"Of course its logical. I want to know how much longer i have until i croak, you know kick the can pale whatever."

"Blake, honey.", my mom said obviously crying.

"No Mom, i want to know the truth. You two can leave if you want, i want to hear this shit."

I looked at the doctor and she nodded at my Mom. She stayed in place and so did my brother. I just sat there looking and waiting to hear what she had to say.

"There isnt an exact answer to if your gonna get better or not. Nationally, 44,270 cases of leukemia will be diagnosed, and 21,710 people will die from the disease this year. Were still not sure which side your gonna come from."

"So what does that mean?"

"It seems that your bodies not cooperating with the treatments so it seems the best choice is a transplant."

"A patient's best chance now for a cure or long-term remission from chronic myelogenous leukemia is to get new stem cells with a bone-marrow transplant from a donor. But about 60 percent of patients are not candidates for transplants."

"Am i?"

"We have to run some more test for that. Which equals to more money. You know how this
is", the doctor said looking at my mom.

"Excuse me, but money isnt an issue. You cant put a price on my daughters life", my mom said making me tear up a bit.

I didnt want my mom to be in debt because of me. I shook my head and felt tears going down my face.

"So whats does this transplant mean? What happens?" Danny asked looking down at his hands.

"Some patients receive bone-marrow transplants in which their own stem cells are removed and then returned after the patient has undergone intensive chemotherapy and radiation. The procedure, called an autologous transplant, can extend people's lives, but not as much as a transplant from a donor can. All patients who use their own marrow relapse, in part because their marrow harbors malignant cells."

I just sat there not listening to a damn word they were saying. I just shook my head. I watched my mom sighing papers and setting up more appointments. I couldnt handle this. I just went outside and walked to the car. I collapsed on the hot asphalt and cried my eyes out. I didnt want to die but i didnt want my mom to be paying my bills for the rest of her life. I felt someones arms around me and i cried into Danny's arms as he rocked me back and forth.

"Every thing's gonna be okay."

"Is it really?"

"Yes, i promise."