The Orchard

“These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder.
Which, as they kiss, consume. The sweetest honey
Is loathsome in his own deliciousness
And in the taste confounds the appetite.
Therefore love moderately: long love doth so:
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."

-----------Romeo and Juliet Act Two, Scene VI


-------------------------------------------------------------------***

Gerard's grandmother fell ill long ago, and with best intentions in mind, he moved in with her for what was to be a temporary stay. The solitude of living by himself, and only a sick relative to keep him company effected Gerard in the strangest of ways; he became a social recluse, locked up in the old country house willingly, only daring to leave for food, or mail a letter from the post office.

On a Sunday afternoon he receives a knock on the door from a disheveled looking young man who claimed to be lost. With much reluctance, Gerard accepts him into his house for a phone call. Gerard certainly didn't know that this man would soon be fighting for acceptance into the Hermit's heart.
  1. Chapter One
    "He often went there to think when he wanted too, and he went there to calm down when he was angry at the world. He was the only one who knew about the orchard because no one ever visited him."
  2. Chapter Two
    "It came slow at first, little, tiny drops that vanished as soon as they hit the surface of his skin. And then, like the magic so commonly portrayed in the books he read, the drops fell in big blobs, smearing the text on the book he had..."