Status: Completed and under Revision

Life Sucks but Love Bites

18

Danyelle's POV

I slammed my hand against my screeching alarm clock hoping to hit the snooze button. For some unknown reason I couldn’t find the blasted thing and had to lift my head up to look. When I found the damn button I smiled and buried my head back into my pillow. Unfortunately I only had a few seconds before someone threw themselves onto my back.

"Wake up sleepy head!" Vic yelled like a little five year old.

"How can you wake up at six in the morning every day?" I muffled into my pillow.

He laughed at my cranky reaction. I wasn’t exactly a morning person so seeing him all smiley and cheerful really pissed me off. I was about to make some snarky remark at him that would ruin his day but he surprised me when messed up my hair. Immediately afterwards he shot up from my bed and literally skipped out of my room.

Why was I born with a hyperactive brother?

I blame dad for this.

I knew that if I didn’t get up now he would just come back later with vengeance so I lazily pulled myself out of bed. When I entered the kitchen I saw Vic's smiling face and stopped. He had a giant bowel in one hand and a whisk in the other. I could feel my jaw drop at this. He was making breakfast? Vic never cooked and I mean it when I say never. For gosh sake he wouldn’t even pour his own cereal for breakfast let along make….is that pancakes? Suspiciously I took a closer look at the contents of the bowl. It looked like pancake batter and smelt like it but I still didn’t trust him. He turned around and poured some of the batter onto the griddle. I used this opportunity to sneak a lick at the bowl. Surprisingly enough it really was pancake batter.

I looked back over at Vic in awe. “Did you get some lip action last night?”

He nearly dropped the pancake he was flipping. “What?”

“Oh god you did didn’t you! You and Vanessa kissed!”

The bowl rolled on the countertop spilling pancake batter as it moved.

“What the hell? No we didn’t kiss!” he yelled back defensively. He turned and looked at the mess on the counter. His cursing filled the air as he tried to clean up the spilled batter, meanwhile; I innocently made my way closer to him.

“Well why the hell not?” I glared at him

“Because…”

“Because why?”

Vic looked at me with shock and maybe a bit of amusement. His fingers combed through his dark hair as he spoke, “Sheesh Danyelle we aren’t like that. She’s just training me so I can kill her fiancé or whatever.”

I looked into his eyes and froze at what I saw. Even though he was looking at me he wasn’t looking me in the eyes. There was something that he wasn’t telling. Normally I would have let it drop but due to his recent actions and my growing curiosity I couldn’t let it go.

“There is something else isn’t there, Victor?”

His face was masked in confusion. “Maybe I just don’t want to kiss her.”

I disagreed with that statement because I could see the way they looked at each other. There was something going on between the two even if they were both too ignorant to see it. However, the topic had somehow changed its course as I fought to find out something deeper. “No that’s not what I’m talking about anymore. There is something about her that you really don’t like.”

His mouth clamped and his fists clenched tighter as I hit closer to home. “Something about Vanessa tares you apart…and you loathe her for it. What is it Vic?”

The kitchen was filled with the smell of burning pancake batter. Since our discussion had escalated Vic had neglected the food. Neither of us seemed to care about it anymore though. “That’s enough Danyelle.”

He went to turn away from me but I refused to back down. I gripped his wrist as he turned and tugged him back. “Oh no you don’t. We are getting everything sorted out right now Vic so spill it.”

Inside of him something snapped. He turned back around growling with a face that had been transformed into a grotesque beast. “She’s a vampire Danyelle a monster.”

I was taken aback by this and was left speechless. My confusion must have ringed clear through his head as he elaborated more. “I understand that she’s not the cause of ‘this’ I really do but knowing that she’s one of those damned creatures just drives me crazy.” He pulled his wrist out of my grip and stomped around the kitchen. “I want to obliterate their kind off the face of this earth so that they can suffer the same way.”

I imagined that he was talking about the night he was changed. I understood his deep hatred for them I mean they had stolen his humanity and left him in pieces but I also knew that he had to come to terms with his changed state. If he didn’t he would never be able to move on and be happy. Besides it wasn’t right for him to blame an entire race for something that one vampire had done.

“You are a vampire as well Vic.” He inhaled sharply at the reminder. “I know that you are a good person and because of that I have to believe that there are other vampires that are good as well. Vanessa is one of them so please brother, just give her a chance. You can’t blame her for something that one deranged vampire did. It’s not fair.”

“Fair?” He growled back at me. “Nothing is ever fair in this world! It wasn’t fair for mom and dad to die, for me to become a monster, or for that thing of a vampire to still be alive somewhere out there!”

“So change it! Start being fair and things will change I can guarantee it.” I shot back.

“I don’t have time for any more of your naïve thoughts. Come on we’re going to be late for school.” He turned sharply in the other direction and walked away.

It might have been childish of me but I stuck my tongue out while his back was turned. He was really starting to be a pain in my ass. As if to show my displeasure at our unfinished conversation I stomped my way up to my room and slammed the bedroom door.

Once I had time to settle down a bit I realized that I had to be the bigger man in this. Even though I was a hundred percent right it still didn’t mean that he was going to see it the same way. I would have to plan something devious that would make him change his mind. I smiled as I thought of just the girl to help me with. First things first though I needed to get to school. I got my things together and then headed back down to Vic's car. He was already revving up the engine when I got in. I had been expecting the cold shoulder for this ride so I welcomed the silence with open arms. It gave me more time to think. On our way to school I couldn't shake the feeling that I had forgotten something important at home.

Vanessa's POV

Late, late, late.

I can’t believe that she had forgotten about me!

Danyelle promised that she would wake me up this morning so we could both get ready for school today. The only problem was that she completely forgot that I had been sleeping on the couch. I wake up on the couch to find the house completely empty and Vic's car gone. At first I was fine with it because I thought maybe they had gone to the market to get some milk or something like that but that was before I saw the kitchen cloak. I woke up at elven forty and cursed her name for letting me sleep so late. In truth I probably should have just skipped school and go back to bed. I mean I could really use a little more rest but here I was instead running to school in a pair of Danyelle's clothes. It wasn't the best idea to be wasting energy like this but it’s not like I had a car to drive to school thanks to Danyelle.

Oh just wait till I get my hands on her!

I rushed into the school just as the bell, signaling the end of fourth hour rang.

Well at least some good had come out of missing four hours.

Like what?

I missed physic.

Yes! My most hated subject!

Students ran out of the classrooms and filled the hallways in a giant mass. I maneuvered my way through the crowd without touching or ramming into a single person. As I passed through the mass of teenagers I heard a lot of bits and pieces of their conversations. I able to pluck out a few conversations from the crowds like…Someone spiked the punch at Luna's party last week and the police ended up coming down. Or the one with Matt Watters getting drunk and ending up tell his two year girlfriend that he was gay and passionately in love with her older brother. Just a bunch of random things like that and it continued that way for a moment until I spotted Danyelle gliding by with a grin on her face.

"Danyelle!"

She spun around at the sound of her name and almost ran into the school’s quarterback. She quickly moved away then searched the groups of people, until her eyes settled on me. She dashed over to me almost knocking everyone in her path down to the ground.

"Oh my gosh Vanessa you'll never guess what happened this morning!"

Danyelle's POV

*This morning*

This annoying feeling that I had forgotten something bugged me while I walked down the hallway. While I was deep in thought I wasn't really paying any attention to where I was going and oddly enough found myself in the schools news cast studio.

Image

The lights were so bright I thought I might go blind. There were cameras set up in every direction at every possible angle. I refused to let that intimidate me though as I scoped out the area looking for her. I spotted her right away sitting at a desk with mountains of papers piled around her.

I yelled "Reece!"

Reece's paper exploded out of her hands by my surprised appearance. She let out this surprised 'epp!' sound as she shot out of her chair and dashed towards me, consuming me into an enormous bear hug as she screamed.

"Danyelle! This is such a surprise!" She then gently let me go and asked quickly, "What are you doing here?"

I paused for a moment as I regained my lost oxygen then replied truthfully, "I was actually hoping you could help me with a little girl problem.”

She gave me a confused look. “I didn’t know you went that way but okay!”

I laughed at the thought. “No Reece. Ha-ha gosh I don’t go that way I was talking about my brother. Are you about to start filming or something?"

She followed my gaze and looked around the studio. "Oh no, we’re not shooting this morning we only shoot after school. The only reason I'm here right now is because my old Co-anchor ditched me so he could run away with this Mexican girl. My inside source told me that they are on their way to Colorado to start a lama farm. So now I'm stuck here all morning to find a replacement for him and the dead line is by this afternoon.”

“Oh wow! Why so early?”

“That asshole left us without a warning and the producer is expecting to have two people for today’s show. Now I'm having difficulties finding one because nobody's trying out!"

As soon as the final words had left her mouth the studio door flew open and in walked Sue with her hands held high up in the air yelling, "Here I am news casting comp-bin-thingy." She looked around the room filled with a bunch of wide eyed students. Her left hand dropped to her side as her right fell to her mouth, "Oh my dear, am I the only one trying out? So I guess that means that I get the job right?” She then giggled.

The room's wide-eyed people were quickly replaced with a bunch of horrified and surprised expressions. Then sudden like a bomb the room was filled with a lot of chatter as a short junior girl ran over to Sue and handed her a packed of papers and then informed her that she still had to try out for the spot even if she was the only one so far.

Reece then grabbed my arm really hard as she said hysterically, "Sue, can't say her ABC's Sue! I can't co- anchor with her!"

Sue must have overheard her because she turned right around and stomped her way over to us.

"I can too say my ABD's, see watch. A,b,d,lol,lmao,ps,rotflmao,ttly,omg,cul,b24,atab,bff, and g2g. See all 33 of them." She smirked as she flipped her hair over her shoulder then made her way over to the set desk. She lifted up the script and attempted to sound out one of the announcements.

Reece spun me around to her and her completely horrified facial expression. "Do you see what I mean? We'll lose out on funding if she's put on the cast! There has to be something we can do…" A slow smile spread across her face, as she looked at me devilishly.

I have a bad feeling about this.

"What are you doing after school today?" She asked.

"Reece I don't think I can get in front of all those cameras…." I began

"Cameras? I was talking about forking Sue's yard and throwing ketchup tampons on her car and house windows…. But you being on the news cast is a much better idea!" She exclaimed.

Crap!

"Reece I don't think I like this idea,"

"Oh don't be such a wuss. It'll be fun! We can do research together for strange projects, Sue won`t get the part, we can hang out more, Sue won't get the part, and you'll be called out of your classes early for-"

"Wait I get called out of my classes?" I asked

She nodded her head.

"I'm in!" I sang.

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank You!" She chimed.

We began jumping up and down. Reece went over to the short junior and grabbed another script and then handed it to me. I began going over it and Reece told me that I needed to project my voice a little more but other than that I was perfect for the gig. Reece and I then sat down and watched Sue fall apart on set. When she was done I walked up to the desk and sat down in the chair. The cameras were on me now and the lights were blinding. I began to recite the script trying not to look down as much as possible and putting as much emotions into the words as possible. When I was finished everyone in the room was silent except for Sue who was chatting away on her cell not even noticing that I had auditioned. The room erupted into applause and cheers as Reece came up a congratulated me. Sue hung up her phone and turned around to see me sitting in the chair smiling. Her face seemed to crumple as Reece announced the new co-anchor. To no surprise it was me and if looks could kill I would be dead right now because Sue was shooting daggers at me.

"Hey Danyelle," Reece said.

I slowly got out of the chair and turned towards her. "Yeah,"

“We’re going to have a blast.”

*End*

"So now I get to miss classes and I have something to do after school!" I finished.

"You're not going to watch Vic train anymore?" Vanessa asked.

"I couldn’t really see anything last time because of the fog. Besides if I’m there I’ll just be a distraction for Vic and he needs to stay focus." I was glad that she didn’t take it the wrong way. She was my friend and I wanted to spend time with her but training Vic was more important at the moment. I just hoped that she understood that. The smile appeared on her face reassured me that she hadn’t taken it the wrong way.

"Thank god. Don’t get me wrong I love hanging out with you and everything but I completely agree that Vic is sidetracked when you are there.”

We made our way down the hallway until we stopped at my locker. The combination had been seared into my brain so deep that I didn’t even have to think of the numbers anymore. I started to exchange my books and binder for my next class when Vanessa asked. “Are you usually forgetful in the morning?”

I wasn’t confused for even a moment because as soon as she had finished her question it popped into my head. Regrettably I remembered, Vanessa becoming weak after helping Vic, her spending the night at my house, Vic and me leaving without her for school.

“Vanessa I'm so sorry! I forgot that you were spending the night! It totally didn't even cross my mind to wake you up this morning."

She gave me this nice strong glare. I normally wasn’t the target of “the glare” so I admit that I began to panic a little.

"W-Well, Vic knew you were spending the night… and he was trying to get me out of the house in a hurry…"

Sorry Vic, but I've got to put the blame somewhere.

"Oh really," She said a bit skeptically.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Well, than I guess I should thank him."

What!

"What?" I asked a loud.

Now she was the one to shrug her shoulders. "Well, yeah. Thanks to him I got to miss physics, for some reason that class just doesn’t make sense to me.”

I was at a loss of words. She was praising him for something I had done. It was totally unfair, but then maybe it was all just a trick. Maybe she was trying to get me to confess the truth so that she can punish me for it later. I decided that keeping my mouth shut was the best solution and nodded along with her as she spoke. “Speaking of your brother I guess that I was in such a rush this morning I had forgotten about his…medication. I still don’t have my car so I guess I’ll just have to run home and get some. He needs it as soon as possible so I’ll just skip.”

“You’re going to skip the whole day.”

“Yeah, if your brother keeps this up I’ll actually be indebted to him.” She smiled and then skipped out of the school as the warning bell for fifth hour rang.

I waved goodbye and walked into my next class with a sigh.

Man I wish I could skip school and just go home!

I took out a note book and started doodling little pie symbols and difficult mathematic equations along the edge. This continued for about ten minutes before the classroom doors opened and in walked Reece holding a green slip of paper. Mrs. Wilson reached out a long wrinkly hand and read over the slip. Then looked directly towards me with sharp green eyes and said,

"Danyelle, I didn't know you were on the schools news cast."

I was about to say that I wasn’t until I remembered that I had tried out this morning. I smiled as I gathered my stuff.

"I just joined this morning." I informed her.

"I see well than congratulations, but that doesn't mean that you're excused from homework young lady. Your homework is due tomorrow morning, just like everyone else." She put the note on her desk then plucked three sheets from and large pile and handed them to me as I walked out of the room with Reece. As soon as the door was closed Reece announced,

"Man I hate math. It’s so dull"

I simply laughed and asked. "So what are we doing?"

"We're doing research for our latest story." She pulled out a small handheld notebook and flipped through a few pages before stopping. "Why the cafeteria food moves or Ms. Gross's moving mole?" She asked.

I giggled. Maybe Co-anchor wasn't going to be so bad after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment or message me so that i know what you think :) thanks for reading and i hoped that you enjoyed it.