Status: Completed and under Revision

Life Sucks but Love Bites

02

The next day at school I looked for Danyelle. I was hoping to run into her in the halls but it was the end of the day and I hadn’t seen her yet.

Maybe she just got sick.

I let out a sigh as I slung my bag over my shoulder and continued walking down the clearing halls. After I had dropped her off at her house last night I had felt as if I was different −human− and it was a nice change. I smiled to myself at the thought of a change. I didn’t realize how much I needed it until now and thanks to her I had a chance at being something more.

A kid rammed into my shoulder from the back, since it was in my blind side I lost my footing but quickly corrected my balance. Most teenagers don’t have common courtesy so I wasn’t really expecting an apology; nonetheless I still frowned at the lack of one. I caught the quick patter of footsteps behind me and realized that a lot of people were running in the same direction. The only thing that would cause this much commotion in high school was a fight. I smiled wickedly. I did enjoy a good fight, so I followed the growing masses to the main event.

Once there, I made my way through the crowd until I was in the front row. Human fights might not be as fast as my kinds but it still held the same level of entertainment. When I saw the school colored cheerleading outfits I felt dishearten. A catfight was not entertaining compared to a cockfight. Female fights were just a bunch of name-calling and hair-pulling, and it held no entertainment value whatsoever. Regardless, I scanned over the fight and noticed Tasha. She was defiantly one of the most frightening cheerleaders on the squad but not because she was ugly. She was scary because of her bulk from kick-boxing. I thought back to the time she took down a soccer player for calling her fat. The poor guy is still teased for being taken down by a girl.

Other than her I could only see one other threatening cheerleader, and that was Sues. She was captain of the squad and for some ungodly reason president of the student council. Honestly speaking I don’t know how she acquired either position because she was as dumb as a brick. She did however have the other squad members under her thumb so she owned all rumor rights. Basically this means she could crush any popularity you might hold in a matter of minutes.

My head snapped when Tasha threw a punch at her opponent. Her opponent was not as defenseless as she had presumed. She took a step backwards getting herself out of Tasha’s hitting range. That’s when I could clearly see who Tasha’s opponent was.

“Danyelle?” She heard her name and turned in my direction searching, until her eyes met with mine. Tasha noticed that Danyelle was distracted and elbowed her in the stomach. Danyelle fell to her knees with a thud. Her hands automatically wrapped around her stomach as she let out a groan. I was so shocked by what had just happened that I froze. Sues however was quick to react, she strutted behind Danyelle, grabbed a fist full of hair, and yanked her head back.

Danyelle yelp out at the new pain. “Now you listen here you stupid little bitch. Hitting Trevor like that yesterday was the stupidest thing you could have done.” Sues growled.

Danyelle pointed her chin up more in defiance and stared Sues straight in the eyes. “He had it coming.”

Sue clenched her teeth as she spoke. “My boyfriend didn’t deserve to be humiliated like that, but your parents on the other hand. They did have it coming for giving birth to a freak like you.” She victoriously smiled at the last remark, knowing that she had hit a sore spot.

Danyelle’s eyes filled with tears. She closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath, when she reopened them they were filled with fury. “I’ll do more than humiliated that pervert if he ever touches me again.”

Sue really didn’t like hearing that. She yanked Danyelle’s head back further until Danyelle winced at the pain. “Trust me when I say that he won’t be able to stomach the sight of you once I’m done. You’ll be so fucked up your mute brother won’t even recognize you.”

Tasha took a step forward at the response and drew he leg back. The rage that had frozen my body rushed through my veins like a swarm of hornets. Without even realizing it I had used my vampire ability to flash myself in front of Danyelle and catch Tasha’s kick in mid swing. Tasha lost her balance and landed on her ass. Sue jumped back at my sudden appearance, accidently letting go of Danyelle’s hair.

“Where the hell did you come from?” Sue questioned looking wildly from side to side.

I ignored her question and extended my hand to Danyelle. With a small smile she clasped them together and I helped her up.

“Ready to go?” I didn’t ask her if she was okay because it seemed like a stupid thing to say.

She gave a slight nod.

“Good, because you promised to go dress shopping with me today.” I tugged Danyelle’s hand and started walking to the edge of the crowd.

“Hold on Vanessa!” Sues flicked her bleach blonde hair over her shoulder and strutted over to us. “I have to thank you.”

My smile fell as I cocked my eyebrow. “For what?”

She smirked “In saving us the time of hunting you down.”

I motioned for Danyelle to go into the crowd but she shook her head. “Oh?”

She stared at her French manicure and as if there was something tarnishing them. “Well, after we were doing playing with that freak, we were going to have a little chat with you.”

“Oh well when that little chat comes I’ll make sure I use small words so you can understand them.”

I could tell that she wanted to rake my eyes out with her French manicure now, so I simply tilted my head slightly to one side and gave her an innocent smile.

“You know what I’m tired of this little game!” She snarled. “Your constant flirting with my boyfriend is really pissing me off.” She stormed over to me until she was only inches away. “Sluts like you need to know their place in MY school.”

The air around me cracked when Sue put her fists up for a hit. Something snapped inside of me causing me blink. When I opened my eyes Sue was on the floor five feet away with blood dripping onto her white and blue cheerleading top. The thick liquid ran down her face and by the look of it, it seemed endless. People started to crowd around her and her squad pulled out their cell phones and started taking pictures.

Without even hesitating I grabbed Danyelle's hand and rushed out of the school.

Danyelle started resisting my pull, “What the hell was that?” she questioned.

I shrugged my shoulders and kept walking. We made it to the parking lot before she slid my grip. I turned around to see the deep frown on her face and her arms crossed over chest. Meaning that she wasn’t budging until she got some answers. I had been hoping that maybe she would have dropped it but obviously that was not going to happen.

“I punched Sues in the nose…..and she bled.” I shrugged my shoulders nonchalantly.

“Yeah I saw that,” She replied. “and I also saw her fly through the air! Fly!”

Shrugging seemed to be a nervous habit of mine because I ended up doing it again. “I don’t know something just snapped.”

She glared at me for a moment until something flickered in her eyes. “Like an adrenaline rush?”

I didn’t want to jump at her conclusion because that would make it seem like I was hiding something. “I suppose,”

She smiled at herself for figuring it out. “Cool.”

I rolled my eyes at her and smiled. “Yeah whatever, can we go to the mall now because it isn’t open that late today and the dance is also tonight.”

She nodded and we finished walking to my car before she continued our conversation. “You know I heard that after you have an adrenaline rush like that it is very rare to happen again.”

Guess I won’t be able to use it as an excuse again.

I made a deep sigh. “That means I won’t be able to toss Sue around like that again.”

She laughed beside me. “Are you kidding? That girl is a twig, and I’m sure you can still kick her ass even without an adrenaline rush.”

I smirked as I started up the car. When the radio turned automatically on I fell into a daze, thinking back to what had just happened. I couldn’t believe that the bubbly sixteen year old girl next to me had a tough side. The way that she avoided Tasha’s punch and held her own to Sue’s raid you just had to give the girl credit. She wasn’t so soft. My mind flashed to one point in the fight when Danyelle’s eyes had gotten blurry. What was it that Sue had said, to make her upset all of a sudden. Then it came to me, she had said something about Danyelle’s parents maybe something about they had it coming. Did Sues know something about Danyelle that I didn’t? I craved to ask her about it but when I looked back at her she was off in her own little world singing along with the songs on the radio. I shook my head at the unanswered questions. I would have time to ask her about them some other time but for now I would much rather listen to her singing off key. I smiled at the simple pleasure and kept driving.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading let me know what you think so far :)