Sorrow Swallows My Screams

Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen:

Zacky’s POV:

An hour later, I was safely set in my hell. It feels like forever ago that I’d left the police station; that I’d left Brian. Sure, we were only friends but I still missed him like crazy. Yes, I’ll admit that I had some more-than-friendly feelings towards him but I didn’t really want to risk our friendship because it means so, so much to me.

I was surprised that my father hadn’t beaten me up yet. I swear he was just taunting me. With a few witty remarks and a clenched fist, I was just waiting for the beating of my life. And I thought I’d been beaten before… I couldn’t bare to think of what I had coming for me. I was scared shitless.

Another hour passed with still no beating. My nerves were still sky-high. I was extremely surprised a few hours later when I heard my dad’s distinct footsteps roam up the stairs and not into my room, but into his. I was certain of this because I’d heard the door slam. My mother wasn’t home, I figured her and dad had either had another fight or she was spending a night at the bar picking up guys and getting totally wasted.

Anyway, after I was certain that my dad was asleep, I braved going to sleep myself. I lay down in my bed, the bed I hadn’t seen for so long. I realised with a start that I didn’t have any clothes or - gasp - my beloved guitar. All that stuff was at Brian’s place.

I sighed and pulled my crimson coloured blankets tightly up to my chest. I rested my head on the pillow, welcoming the darkness that soon consumed me.

-The next morning-

I awoke, thoroughly surprised that I was still alive. I looked around my room, startled at first when it wasn’t the familiar surroundings that was Brian’s bedroom. I had gotten so used to it by now that my room felt like it was in some far out fairytale, or something like that.

I got up and got dressed, just like a normal kid would; just like I would have done had I been at Bri’s. OhmygoshImissitsomuchthere ALREADY. I finished getting ready and set off for school, despite that last sentence I thought…

I actually arrived at school all right. The day was b-o-r-i-n-g, but still better than waiting at home; until lunch time, that is, when things picked up considerably. Why, you ask. The answer is simple - lunch time was when I caught a glimpse of Brian over the other side of the cafeteria. I half power-walked, half ran over to him which made a sort of odd combination that I’m sure would have made me look like I was waddling like a penguin - a fast penguin, that is.

I soon arrived over where Brian was and a wave of warm, fuzzy feelings ripped through my chest and stomach and… ooh, lower regions. I strategically positioned a hand innocently over that… certain hard lower region… and exclaimed, “Bri!”

He turned around, though, recognizing my voice instantly, he wrapped his arms around me before he’d even had a chance to glance at my face.

“Bri…” I mumbled into his soft neck. I know it was pretty stupid how I was acting, after all, I had only seen him last night. It just felt like it was so long ago and, frankly, it had been a long time since I had actually been even this long without seeing him. I’d grown accustomed to his face, his scent, his personality… everything…

Sounds kind of creepy and stalker-ish, I know, but it’s true, in a totally non-creepy, non-stalker-ish way, if you get what I’m saying, which you may not. That’s totally cool, by the way, I mean, it is maybe a little hard to understand.

Anyway, I was happy to be seeing him again. I felt calmer now, the first wave of relief I’d felt since that dreadful night last night.

“All my stuff’s at your place,” I said dumbly.

“I know, Zacky, I know,” he whispered. A small smile played on his lips, which I returned, though mine was far wider than his.

“I don’t have any clothes, or my guitar…” I said softly.

“You can get them back this afternoon, right?”

“I don’t know… I mean, I don’t know what I’ll do if I get home and my dad’s there and I’m home late…”

“Well, you’ve got to get your stuff, though.”

“True… it’s not likely that he’ll be home, anyway. He’ll just be out getting drunk. Okay.” I forced a weak smile and Brian’s brow creased in concern.

“I’m worried about you, Zacky. From what you’ve told me about your dad-”

“I’m worried too. But there’s no point talking about it. I just want to kind of chill out here. God knows I’ll have enough stress tonight.”

He nodded, his hair darting around his face with the movement. “So what do you want to talk about?”

“I don’t know. Anything that’ll take my mind off it, really.”

“Mmhmm. I see you.”

“I see you too,” I giggled.

“Aw, Zacky. You’re so cute,” he said playfully.

I giggled again. “I know,” I joked.

His eyes moved from mine for a moment, and that time was all it took for him to exclaim, “My God!”