Call Me Crazy

Empty Threats

Oh, the joy of watching the color drain from Mackenzie’s face, just for that split second before it was replaced by reddened annoyance, spreading across her face like wildfire. It was Friday, and the nominees had just been announced. There were five for homecoming queen; Mackenzie and I were two of them. The other three I did not know: Kayla, Sara, and Elizabeth.

School had just ended and I was waiting at Ben’s locker when she approached me.

“Just what do you think you think you’re doing?” Mackenzie snapped.

“Standing,” I replied nonchalantly.

“I mean,” she replied, trying not to lose her cool, “What are you doing running for Homecoming Queen?”

“I just thought I would,” I said, shrugging it off. I wasn’t in the mood to deal with this today.

“You just thought you would?” she repeated, as if not believing it.

“Uh, yeah,” I said, starting to feel uncertain of her mood. It was like she was about to blow at any second. I heard her click her tongue a few times before she spoke again.

“Fine then,” she said, so simple like the calm before the storm. “then get ready bitch, these next few weeks will be the worst of your life.”

“Oh, I’m ready,” I said, gaining confidence and looking directly at her pinched face, “I’ve been ready. Do. Your, Worst.” She cocked her eyebrow and let a smug smile play on her lips before kicking me in the shin.

“What the hell?” I managed to get out as the impact of her stilettos ricocheted up my leg.

“There will be more where that came from,” she said leering at me. “Drop out, and it will stop.”

“Those are just empty threats,” I said, putting on my battle face.

“We’ll see,” she said before turning on her heel and walking away.

“Empty threats!” I called after her. She didn’t turn around, but flipped the finger all the same; her mane of blonde locks swishing after her. Once she was out of sight I allowed myself to sink to the floor, grasping my leg where she’d kicked me. I leaned against the cool lockers, tilted my head back, and closed my eyes, trying not to focus on the pain.

I didn’t care if I looked like a fool: a lone girl slumped against the wall, her face contorted in pain. It wasn’t like anyone was around to see me like this anyway.

“Niki!” I heard a far off voice yell. I opened my eyes and looked up to see Ben running towards me. He was kneeling next to me before I knew it.

“What happened?” He asked me, panicked. His hazel eyes were almost glowing as he looked to where my hands grasped my shin. I sighed.

“While I was waiting for you, Mackenzie came, and, well, stilettos hurt if you get kicked by someone wearing them,” I summed up with a grimace.

“Sorry I wasn’t here,” He said softly, and rolled up my pant leg just enough to see the bruise beginning to form on my shin. There was a small bump, and it was already turning purple. Who would have guessed that Mackenzie could kick so hard?

“It doesn’t hurt as much now,” I mussed.

“Are you sure? It looks pretty bad,” he stated.

“Way to make me feel better,” I complained.

“I’m sorry!” he exclaimed, “I told you I had to stay after in Art; I didn’t expect Mrs. Appleton to take so long!” I chuckled at his frantic outburst of defense.

“It’s fine. Just like John said, I just have to put up with Mackenzie until Homecoming,” I said, not just convincing Ben, but myself as well.

“Yeah, but if you get hurt through this I wont be able to forgive myself,” Ben said sincerely. I found myself blushing, so I turned my head away. As I did so, my eye caught the clock: 3:45. I had stayed after school for a half hour! Carolina was probably waiting impatiently by the car.

“Shoot, hey Ben, I have to go,” I said, nodding towards the clock. He smiled.

“Yeah, I probably should too,” he responded. I grinned and stood up, wincing slightly from my leg.

“Do you need help getting to your car?” He asked me.

“Sure, if it’s not out of the way…” I trailed off.

“It’s fine. My car is out there somewhere too,” he reassured, flashing me a grin.

“Why did you stay after to talk to Mrs. Appleton?” I asked as we neared my car, sure enough, Carolina was waiting.

“I’m not telling,” he mocked in a giddy voice; strange, very strange.

“Please?” I asked, trying to give him the puppy dog pout that seemed to work when others used it. He just rolled his eyes and pressed his fingers to my lips. A shiver ran down my back.

“Don’t pout your lips like that, you look like a fish,” he stated, smirking.

“What?” I shouted a bit. Scowling, I turned and walked to the car.

“Niki, I’m sorry,” I heard him yell from behind me. I wasn’t mad, but it was fun to play around. I turned and smiled. I saw him smile back, before waving and walking off to his car.

“Geeze, why don’t you take longer,” Carolina remarked sarcastically as I started the car. I rolled my eyes and drove the two of us home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know about you all, but I love this chapter =]

again, I wrote this in study hall. I cant promise when I'll get another chapter out, but I hope it will be soon.

thankies to everyone who reads this....

Peace&Love, Erin