Call Me Crazy

Kisses and Slow Dancing

“Hey,” I said unsurely, looking at both guys wondering what murderous thoughts were racing through their minds. The tension between the two was obvious, and it was making me nervous.

“Do you mind if I take this dance from here?” Adam asked. I was shocked he had the nerve to do so. Both guys looked at me, expecting an answer. I felt annoyance bubble up inside of me.

“Who the hell do you guys think you are?” I yelled, angry with them for putting this decision on me.

“But—“ Adam started

“No!” I was fuming, “Like you said, less than a fucking hour ago, Adam, I am independent. I don’t need to dance with either of you!” I stored off leaving them behind me, mouths a gape. I pushed though a group of freshmen girls and into the hallway, ignoring their shrieks and rude comments.

I made my way to the restroom and splashed water on my face, making sure not to wash away the makeup Alexis had so skillfully applied.

“Everything alright?” I heard a voice say from behind me. I turned to see Ashleigh. I smiled weakly at her.

“Guys are douches,” I stated. She smiled.

“Not all of them are, hun, you just have to find the right one,” She advised.

“True, but apparently that right one is hiding,” I said a bit aggravated

“He will show himself,” Ashleigh concluded knowingly, before waving goodbye and leaving the restroom. I decided it wouldn’t matter if I danced with anyone, as long as I had fun, so I exited the restroom, and made my way to the dance floor. I found Alexis, and again, we started our ridiculous made up dance moves.

Once again, a slow song decided to interrupt the dance. I sighed, and walked over to the punch table. John had asked Alexis to dance, and if I hadn’t been in such a pissy mood, I would have been happy for them. The most I was able to do was smile as my two friends swayed to the beat.

I saw Ben walking over to where I was standing. I waved slightly, which was matched with a small smile.

“I’m an idiot, Niki,” Ben confessed as he had approached me. I gave a weak smile.

“It’s ok, I just don’t want to be fought over,” I explained. He gave a chuckle.

“So we’re good? We’re still friends?” He asked, looking hopeful.

“Of course,” I said, smiling. We talked a bit more, before the slow song was over, and the normal, hideous rap music had returned. Apparently the DJ had lied. There wasn’t any music besides rap. Alexis, Ashleigh, and I continued to make fools of us on the dance floor, before the DJ’s voice came booming through the mic once again.

“Hey, hey! Are you guys still doing alright?” He asked. There were some cheers, “That’s good to hear. We only have a few songs left,” the DJ admitted, receiving some booing, “And this right here is the last slow song. So all you young gentlemen out there who have been shying away from asking that one girl to dance, this is your last chance.”

I laughed a bit at the DJ’s spiel, and then realized how awkward it was standing in the middle of the dance floor, surrounded by so many couples. Mike and Ashleigh were dancing, Alexis and John were dancing, and that left just left me.

The song was “Stolen” by Dashboard Confessional. I actually like the band, just not this song. It annoyed me how everyone would claim to love the band, when they only knew this song. I tried to push the rant out of my head, and reminded myself that I was still trapped in the middle of the dance floor, without a dance partner.

“Hey, Niki?” I turned to see Adam, “I know that you’re not too happy with me right now, but I’d like it if you’d dance with me…” He trailed off.

“Sure,” I said, smiling up at him. One dance wouldn’t hurt, right? We swayed to the beat for a while, before he said anything.

“You do know you’re beautiful, right?” He asked, thought it was more of a statement. I didn’t want to break it to him that I didn’t believe I was beautiful, so I just gave him an awkward smile.

“Every girl is staring at you right now. They’re jealous,” He joked. I looked around, and sure enough, quite a few girls were looking at me venomously. I laughed.

“They’re glaring because you’re not dancing with them. They could probably care less about me,” I joked.

“I wouldn’t be so sure,” The glint in his eyes made me believe him, so I dropped it. The climax of the song filled my ears, I watch you spin around in your highest heels, You are the best one, of the best ones, We all look like we feel. I smiled. This song has always put me in an indescribable mood, and considering the circumstances, I was already happy, so the song put me over the top.

Before I could think, Adam was leaning in. My breath hitched in my throat, for I had no idea what to expect, but I let it go when he kissed me softly. He smiled, looking at me, giving me his lopsided grin. I smiled back, and reached up to peck him on the lips. I felt a giggle escape as he led me away from the dance floor once the song ended. I sat down next to him at a table and we began to talk. There was only one song left, and it turned out to be another rap song. Adam started to mouth the words.

“Oh my gosh, you know this song?” I asked, laughing.

“Yeah, it brings out my gangsta side,” He stated. I just laughed some more at his attempt at being ghetto.

“What?” he asked, whining a bit. I giggled.

“I’ll never understand the concept of rap,” I said.

“Neither will I, but its entertainment,” He reasoned, grinning.

“It’s not even that! It’s… it’s… I give up,” I slumped a bit in my chair. Rap is undefinable and confusing.

“Ha, well you know, rap is the new rock,” He said mockingly.

“Aw hell no!” I exclaimed, he just laughed.

“I’m kidding. It’s cute when you’re annoyed,” He chuckled again.

“Not fair,” I said, pretending to be mad, I failed the minute his lopsided grin returned.

“Hey Niki,” He said, regaining his composure. I tried to follow in suit.

“Yeah?” I asked

“I was wondering if you’d like to go out some time,” He asked smoothly. I thought for a moment before answering.

“I’d like that,” I said, biting my lip to keep from smiling too big.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been thinking over this chapter for a while...so I just kinda decided to post it after writing it, and rewriting it over the past few days.

This story has 7 stars, 38 subscribers, and 65 comments. That is more than I ever thought I'd get. Thank you all SO much =]

Peace&Love, Erin