Call Me Crazy

We're a Happy Family

Kevin held my hand in reassurance as we made our way to lunch. I had to make up with my friends, but I wasn’t going to make it easy. I took a deep breath in and focused my attention straight ahead where I saw Alexis and John eating. Ben hadn’t arrived yet, and as much as I wanted him to be here when I worked things out with them, I thought that maybe it would be easier without him. As Kevin and I approached, Alexis looked up, her expression unreadable.

“Hey,” I started casually, suddenly becoming not too sure of how this would go.

A few moments passed before either of them spoke, “We heard about you and Adam,” John said.

“Yeah, we heard about you and Ben too,” Alexis added, a small smile appearing on her face. I closed my eyes. Obviously they approved of Ben and me, but not Adam and me. I didn’t want to give in, just cause they now decided that things were all slap happy. I opened my eyes again to see them staring at me quizzically.

“Are you all right?” John asked.

“No,” I found myself saying. I paused to ponder how I should phrase my thoughts, “I’m annoyed how you pretty much exiled me because of who I decided to date. I’ll have you know, Adam and I are still friends. Our relationship did not end in a fight. He broke up with me so I would realize that Ben liked me.”

“Well, we’re happy for you now that Adam is gone, but why are you still friends with him?” Alexis inquired. I sighed. They still didn’t get it.

“I don’t know why you both think that Adam is such a bad person. I was starting to think that myself, but he proved me wrong,” I defended.

“I don’t know,” Alexis was exasperated, “But can’t we just be friends again, and forget this ever happened?”

“I want to be friends with you guys. I never wanted to stop being friends, but there’s one thing you have to understand,” I stated, and they nodded me, encouraging me to go on, so I did, “How do I know the next time I start hanging out with someone that doesn’t get your ‘Seal of Approval’ that you will ditch me again?”

John was looking at his feet. Alexis looked defeated, her eyes wide, mouth open slightly, and creases in her forehead were beginning to show.

“Well? You heard her,” Kevin spoke up. I had completely forgotten that he had been standing next to me.

“I’m sorry,” Alexis said softly, “We shouldn’t have treated you differently because of Adam. I was worried for you though! I didn’t trust him!”

“But if you were worried for me, why did you stop talking to me. If something had actually happened, you wouldn’t have been there for me,” I said, not meaning to lay on the guilt, but it seemed to affect Alexis that way, for she jumped up from where she was sitting and hugged me. I hugged back, letting her know that she was forgiven.

“Hey Niki?” John called, breaking Alexis and I apart.

“Yeah?” I responded, looking at him. He had stood up as well.

“I want you to know that I’m sorry too, and I hope you forgive me,” He gave a small, nervous smile.

“You are,” I told him, giving him a brief hug as well.

“Wow, are we all on good terms now?” Came Ben’s voice. I looked up to see Ben walking up to our small group, carrying a slice of pizza from the cafeteria. The wind was in his hair and his eyes were smiling.

“Yup!” I beamed, giving him a hug as well.

“What’s with the hug?” Ben joked.

“Hugs all around!” I exclaimed, giggling a little.

“Hey! I didn’t get one,” Kevin pouted.

“Oh, fine,” I said dramatically, before giving him a hug as well.

“Yay! We’re all such a happy family,” Kevin said while hopping from foot to foot.

“Oh, how corny this all is,” John commented and I had to laugh. It was true.

“Yeah, but do you know what this means?” Alexis asked.

“What?” John asked.

“We’re going roller skating Friday night!”
♠ ♠ ♠
(Title credit to the Ramones)

It has been SO long and I'm so so so so so so so sorry. I think my last update was before spring break, and I was gone for almost two weeks, and then I had a bunch of make up work, but that still isn't a good excuse for why I haven't updated in so long. This is the second to last chapter, and I have the final chapter all written and saved to my computer, but I keep going back and changing things. I hope to have it out soon (maybe even today?).

Things I think you should read =D
Pictures from my trip to Ecuador: http://www.mibba.com/journals/read/126515/
My new story: http://www.mibba.com/story/head-full-of-words/When-No-Ones-Watching

Sigh. I'm sad that this story is going to be over soon *tear* it was really hard to write the final chapter. I still think I might change a few things before I post it, but expect it soon. =)

Peace&Love, Erin