Status: On hiatus

Lost Rivals

Arrival Of Jade

**ADIE’S P.O.V**

Nothing better could’ve happened to me at that particular moment. Tillie had referred to me as her mother! I was so happy!

I was completely dumbstruck at the sound of the word “mum” coming to my ears straight from Tillie’s mouth.

I almost started to bawl right then and there because I did not expect her to be calling me her mother this soon. I looked at my daughter directly in her eyes to look for traces of insincerity but I found none. I only saw soft love-filled eyes staring back at me. Similar to the look Billie Joe gives me.

“Tillie I-I don’t know what to say…” I managed to spit out.

“It’s okay, if you don’t want me to call you my mum then I won’t.” Tillie quickly replied back and looked down at the table. I noticed her turn beet red.

“No, I meant that I wasn’t expecting you to call me that, but I'm really happy that you did and I would love for you to call me that from now on.”

Tillie began to beam, “Sure, mum, let’s go get my brothers from school I’m dying to tell Joseph that his sister is going to be working for Adeline from now on!”

***

Wow, Tillie had sure grown a lot since was re-introduced to her a month ago. She was such a mature young lady. She reminded me so much of myself when I was seventeen. I listened to my three children chattering to each other in the backseat.

I was especially proud of the way Tillie was handling telling Joey about designing “big people clothes” for Adeline, whilst at the same time discussing ‘Resident Evil’ with Jakob.

As I turned the car into our street, I was so intent on humming along to the song ‘Grace Kelly’ on the radio that I almost didn’t hear Jakob’s screams from the backseat.

I checked my rear-view mirror and saw that Jake was looking to his right. I almost wasn’t prepared for what I saw.

A young blond haired girl was laying on the pavement about three houses away from our own. The girl was covered in what appeared to be blood. She was motionless and looked quite dead.

“Mum! Stop the car we have to help her!” Tillie shrieked and opened the door of the car while I was still driving it.

I quickly slammed on the brakes and told my sons to stay put. Tillie and I jogged over to the girl’s body and I began to feel for a pulse.

“Oh-oh no, no way it can’t be!” Tillie spoke. Then she recoiled and began to move away.

“Mum, don’t help her.” Tillie shot to me.

I was confused at Tillie’s sudden lack of compassion. “What? Why not? You can’t just leave her here.” I asked with a puzzled expression on my face.

This seemed to anger Tillie somewhat. “Adrienne, Goddammit! She’s evil you can’t help her!”

“Tillie, I don’t understand…”

“Fucking shit Adrienne, listen to me! If you help her she’ll just throw it back in our faces. Listen to me to fuck sake!”

With that Tillie began running toward our house; leaving me alone with this girl who Tillie was so against helping.

But, why not? How could Tillie possibly even know this girl? She said she didn’t know anyone in Oakland…

The girl began to sputter and stir causing me to break from the thoughts.

“Ca-Call an ambulance!” The girl managed before passing out once again.

I did as I was told and dialed 000 from my mobile phone.

***

When the ambulance arrived in about two minutes, the man asked me a few questions and all I could tell them was I knew nothing about what had happened to the girl the nurse had identified as Jade Sumner; a sixteen year old from Australia.

They took her away on a stretcher and left me standing in the middle of the street wondering what the Hell was happening.

**END OF ADIE’S P.O.V**