Road to My Tired Mind

Dear Moon

I met him one day in my dreams. Stars were dancing and dear moon was trying on a new outfit. The last time I saw her she was being devoured by the shadows. But this evening she looked beautiful. Her light was shining brighter than on any other dream, as if she wanted to scream.
I was lying on the ground watching the sky’s daily routine. I could feel the grass on my hands. It was still wet from last night’s storm. The droplets of water soaked into my bones and replenished my dry soul. Even if it was a dream, it felt real to me.

His eyes reflected the moon’s light. I never thought there was someone worthy of it until I encountered his eyes. He walked slowly towards me. I couldn't hear his footsteps. It seemed like every footstep was an overwhelming effort. He looked so tired and beaten up, but not his eyes. He lay right next to me. We gazed at the sky for hours. Or maybe it was the stars and the moon who stared at us. If they did, this is what they saw: They stared at two human beings lying on the ground with dead hopes and dreams. But most importantly, they witnessed the awakening of two souls that had been asleep for years. No one dared to speak. A word would break the silence and disturb the scene. He turned his head and ours eyes met again. He opened his lips to speak the words that would wake my soul. They soon touched the air.

“Get up, dear. You don’t belong in the ground”

I felt the touch of his skin. He took my hand and pulled me up. We walked forward, with no direction. Our hands clasped so tight. But his hands were cold. I will never forget that. Dear Moon was watching intently and the stars were restless. Never had they witnessed a story like this.

We kept walking until we found the ocean. I could only hear the waves crashing along the shoreline. He loosened his hand and kept walking. But I just stayed there motionless, unable to move. I watched as the ocean welcomed him with a wave. He kept walking without looking back. Soon he was lost in the immensity of the ocean. He became another story for the ocean to narrate. But he became the man who awakened my soul.

I felt a sudden rush walking through my spine. The wind kissed me as it passed through my way. I turned around and began to walk again. I was heading back to the start. I lay on the grass again and gazed upon the sky. But there was nothing or no one to watch. Dear Moon and the stars were not there anymore. The sky was empty. I closed my eyes so tightly that a tear ran down my face. I was alone again in a place I did not belong to.
But it was the only place I knew.

When I opened my eyes I saw the ceiling of my room. The sunlight was escaping through the window. It was the reality I had been trying to run away from. But there was something I feared more: he was not there. It was only a dream.
The alarm clock went on and it meant the continuation of a routine. I got out of bed that morning knowing that day would be the same as the other days of my short and miserable existence. But he was still a visitor a in my thoughts. I wished he was real. But he was only a dream.