S'Agapo

Uncle

That night as I lay in bed, I realized that the whole time we had been fighting over spoons and ice cream, Apollo had somehow managed to heal the small tear in my heart. I didn't know how-I don't know how- but he did. And for once I was sort of glad to have him living in my house- even if he was a total pervert and I initially hated him. The next morning I sat up and glanced at my calendar. September 1. I sighed. "Time to go to work and quit for the year."

I slowly got out of bed and got ready, the weight of last night events pressing down on my body, which sobbed for me to get back in bed, it wasn't school yet, why was I torturing it so?

Every year I applied for two jobs. During the summer, I work at the Disney store, and during
the school year, I work as a dog-walker. I shoved my uniform vest into my bag and put my Mickey mouse ears on top of the vanity. Grabbing my wallet I shut my room door and started down the stairs. Of course, as exhausted as I was, my foot slipped and I fell down the stairs.

Almost.

Halfway down Apollo ran up and caught me. He stared at me for a minute, and then asked, "Where are you going?"

"I have to go quit my job at the mall."

He smiled and said, I'm glad your listening to my advice for once."

"What? No I'm not, I always quit when school's about to start. Now, you can put me down, we aren't newlyweds."

I glared and Apollo set me down. "Last night, you were quite a character."

He followed me to the kitchen. I stopped at the fridge and half turned. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh come on, don't act as if you have amnesia or something! Last night you-"

"I really don't know what you're talking about." I gave him a look that said, 'Never speak of it or you will be eating your tongue for dinner.'

Apollo stopped.

I shook my head and pulled out some waffles. I put them in the toaster, and pulled back my hair. "I'm going to cut my hair tomorrow."

"Why?"

"It's long." I blinked and rubbed my eyes, not caring to elaborate. "Hey, 'Pollo, Why're you up anyways? It's so freaking early."

I turned my head to glance at him. He was leaning against the counter next to me. "I have a date today at the park with Cindy. She said she's knows this great area...I think she called it 'Lover's Lane' or something."

I smirked. "Oh, so you're getting laid today. Have fun with that."

"Yes, I'm quite excited...I can't wait to-"

I grabbed my waffles and started 'la-la-la-ing' as loud as I could.

"La-la-la-I'm going now-la-la-la!"

I grabbed my keys and my mom's mix tape and practically ran into the car. As I drove away, Apollo stood grinning like a fiend in the doorway, and 'Ordinary Day' by Vanessa Carlton was playing. I fast-forwarded to Muse's 'Time is running'.

After I handed in my resignation, I said bye to Carol, the manager, and left the store. However, the druggies liked to come to the mall early, too. Just as I was about to click my car open, someone decided to grab the back of my shirt. I choked and quickly jammed my elbow back. It shot into the guy's diaphragm. I immediately opened my car and jumped in. Right before I could shut the door, he grabbed my leg and tried to pull me out. I screamed and two classmates from my school came and beat the crap out of him.

As he lay bleeding on the floor, I slammed the door shut and rolled the window down a crack. The two guys turned and before they could get a good look at me I shouted 'thanks' and drove away.

At home I collapsed on the couch and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And -

The phone rang. I shot up and pulled it off the hook.

"Hey uncle Joey!"

Joey was my favorite uncle, and the only one I really acted myself around. He was Tom's dad, and my dad's twin brother.

"So, how's it going?"

"You ready to work?"

"Yes sir!"

Good-o because I am too freaking old for this. Open the door before I die of old age."

I stood up and opened the door. There was Uncle Joey, in his favorite shirt and his blue khakis.

"You look rather dashing!" I said, still talking into the phone.

"Don't I just?" He said, still talking into the phone.

Oh, I should mention, Uncle Joey was gay.

He was divorced and his boyfriend's name was Gregory. He was 50. Joey was 52. Hey man, power to the gay, I love them as long as they don't start kissing in front of me.

"Anyways dearie, I just came by to give you your papers, your badge, and your next assignment. Oh, and I'm hungry sweetheart. I am in need of some of your perfect home cooking!" He came in and settled into the couch.

I smiled and shut the door. "Of course, Uncle."
♠ ♠ ♠
It's Tuesday in the story at the moment. Just saying.