S'Agapo

Kevin

The phone wouldn't stop vibrating. Finally I stood up and opened it. I was tempted to answer but immediately hung up. Then I shut off my phone and went into the kitchen. Jumping up on the counter I poured myself a large glass of water and started drinking deeply. Everything was going to be okay, as long as he didn't come here. I whimpered through my glass and put it down next to me. Burping loudly, I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and jumped off the counter. I took a deep breath but my face was still bright red. Why was he back? He was supposed to be in Florida! He was supposed to stay in Florida!

"Damn you Florida! You were supposed to keep him there!"

I sat down on the carpet and clutched my stomach again. It wouldn't stop hurting. I sighed and tried to focus on doing something, anything.

"School supplies, I'll take care of that for now. Where did I put my list?"

I slapped my forehead. It was still in the car. I stood up shakily and grabbed my keys. "He won't be outside, that's just blatant stalking."

I opened my door and went to my car. So far so good. No sign of him. I reached into my car and looked in the little armrest. It wasn't there.

Damn it. I shook my butt to shimmy in farther and opened my glove compartment. Nope. Pulling out, I sighed and reached under my chair, my butt still in the air. I felt around under the seat and felt the little slip of paper. Just as I was about to grasp it-

"Hey, Laurel."

I rolled my eyes, but inside I felt like I was about to have a heart attack. I had thought it was Kevin for a minute- then he really would have been a stalker!

"What do you want Cathy? Apollo's not here, I'm surprised he's not stuck to your face." I bit back harder than I'd meant to. She made a little noise.

"Not that, he's with his guy friends. I was just wondering if you heard about Kevin coming back."

"Yeah, that's just frickin' peachy." I stood up and shook back my hair. I opened the slip of paper and started to scan it when I felt someone lean against my car.

'Okay, that's the prime way to piss me off.'

I stopped reading and sneered, "Get off my car Cathy."

"I'm not leaning against your car. It's so...grimy."

"It's called paint you prissy little-"

I turned to glare at the Cathy, but my eyes fell upon him. I stared for a minute, trying to make sure my emotions were in check. Then, I slammed my door shut, beeped it locked and pushed Kevin off my car.

"I said stop leaning on my car you fucking pain in my ass!"

He looked up from the ground. Ugh, he was so...cute?

'No!'

I kicked the dirt to prevent myself from hurting him and went inside. Then I remembered Cathy was there. I spun around and gave her the middle finger before slamming the door shut.

Kevin POV

"You were right, she's changed." He stood up and dusted off his jeans.

Cathy sighed. "I told you. You shouldn't have broken up with her right after her parents died."

"Well it's not like I knew her parents had died. And besides, she told me she was in love with me! What was I supposed to do! I'm not good with commitment. everyone knows that."

"But still, you could have told her you were moving away a little sooner."

"I know." He scratched his head. "Hey, Cathy?"

"What?"

"Why aren't you and her friends anymore?"

"Easy, I stopped being her friend after her parents died. She wouldn't stop crying after you left, it was like trying to comfort a wall. After a few hours I just got tired of it and told her to suck it up. Who wants to be friends with a cry-baby?"

She crossed her arms and turned to go to her car. "I'll see you at school tomorrow. I suggest you stay away from Laurel, Kevin. She's turned to the emo side. She tried to commit suicide after you left. Seriously, stay away from her, who knows what she'll do to you."

Laurel's POV

I went upstairs and opened the closet at the end of the hall. Clicking on the light switch, I smirked at the huge stacks of school supplies.

Quickly, I pulled out everything I needed. As I was labeling everything, I heard the door open.

"Laurel?"

"I'm up here. Bring your supply list."

I heard Apollo trudge up the stairs. "Where are- Holy..."

I grinned, but kept my head down so he wouldn't see.

"Grab what you need and label them with these." I threw a pen and some labels at him.

We sat in silence for about half an hour. I finished and got up to go downstairs and start dinner.

"Hey, Laurel?" Apollo grabbed my leg, wrapped his arm around my calf and leaned his head against my hip.

I blushed a little. "What are you doing?"

He sighed. "I'm sorry about yesterday. You're right about Cathy being a bit of a tease. But she is sweet."

"Is that all?"

"No. I...really am sorry about yesterday. I say things when I'm angry, but I don't mean what I say."

I sighed. "You meant every word of what you said. You just don't want to admit it. It's all right. You were telling the truth anyways. But just watch what you say from now on, okay? I don't think I'd like it if the school knew about all of my radical decisions," I patted him on the head,
"Now, let go of me before I rip off your head."

He smiled and released me. I started walking down the stairs when I heard him ask something. I'm still not sure if he was asking me or just talking to himself, but it struck my heart like an arrow.

"Do you think, if you were like you used to be, that you would be the one I'd be trying to fall in love with instead of Cathy?"

I froze at the base of the stairs, my heart in my ears. I turned to look up at him. Apollo was sitting with his legs crossed, his chin in his hand. I quickly looked away.I didn't answer him. I kept walking until I got into the kitchen, where I collapsed in a chair and started rubbing my leg.
Idiot. He wouldn't be living here if I were like I used to be. I was so weak then. 'I was much weaker than I am now.'

The next day after school, it was raining. All the girls were running to their cars to get out of the rain, while the sports teams were running around in the mud, practicing. I saw one of my old friends, Jean, passing a soccer ball to some girl. She was one of the coolest friends I had.
She turned and saw me. I stared at her, and we held each other gaze for a moment. Then, the coach blew a whistle and she was gone.

But so was I.

When I got home, it was still raining. Actually it was pouring. I went out into the backyard and started dancing in the rain. Another opportunity to let go of my tension and be myself again. I sighed and opened my mouth to let some water in. After a few minutes, the rain let up and gave way to lighter clouds. I shook out my hair and let it slap against my face. I liked my hair shorter. It wasn't very hard to manage, and I didn't need to focus on keeping it from frizzing to the point where I looked like a poodle.

I heard the door open and went back in. Apollo dropped his knapsack on the floor and tilted his head. We stared at each other for a moment, than I turned to go upstairs.

"Why are you all wet?"

I sighed. "Why do you think?" I was too relaxed to yell at him.

"Because you were in the rain?"

I turned and gave him a thumbs up sign. "You are pure genius, aren't you?" I smiled, but it was loose and tired, not sarcastic. "I'm going to go take a shower, so don't bother me."

When I came back downstairs, Apollo was sitting on the couch. I didn't feel like making dinner so I sat down next to him and dialed the Chinese restaurant across the road.

"Hello?"

"Hello, this is Chow-Mien-Restaurant. May I take your oda?"

"Yes, I'd like to order chow mien, sweet-and-sour soup, the little vegetable things, and pork-fried-rice. Oh, and some veggie noodles."

"How bout some sushi? Special deal!"

"Uh, no-"

"Come on now, a pretty girl like you probably needs some extra food for your boyfriend?"

I blushed. "Wha-? No, just what I ordered please!"

"Oh, come on now, pretty girl like-"

"Hey! Lee, what do you think your doing? I told you stop flirting with customers! No wonder they all run away! You're so freaking bad at it!"

There was a lot of ow's and banging sounds. Then,"Okay, you'll have to come and pick up your order. the delivery boy is out of service at the moment."

"Um, okay."

"Thank you for your service. Now, you stupid little brat!"

More banging sounds. I hung up the phone and stared at it for a few minutes. "I don't think I like Chinese food all that much." I turned to Apollo. "Can you go pick it up?"

He stared at me. "Does everyone hit on you like that?"

"No. Why?" I flicked on the TV, wondering how he knew what had happened over the phone. Then again, they had been pretty loud.

"Half the guys in school are talking about how they wish you were like you used to be, so that they could date you."

I sighed. "Yeah, talk about scum, huh? Now, go get the Chinese food!" I threw my wallet at him, "and get some ice cream on the way home."