S'Agapo

8.50 an hour

It was October 19. I yawned and looked around. Everyone was just as soaked as I was. We had been running outside for gym when it suddenly started pouring rain. Everyone ran inside. I would have liked to stay outside and dance around a little, but that would show something about me. And I didn't want that.

I went inside with the rest of the girls and changed into my normal clothes. Suddenly, I heard a little murmuring behind me. I turned around to see a few freshmen girls staring at my back.

I blinked. "What are you staring at?" Knowing full well what it was.

One of the girls pointed and said, "Where did you get the mark on your back?"

I stared, wondering if I should tell them. Then, seeing no harm in it, I turned back around and pulled on my shirt.

"I've had it for about a year. A little after school started, I was walking some dogs when I was pushed down some stairs. I ended up sliding down a wheelchair ramp, and skidded down on my back. When I stopped sliding, my back had major 'rug' burn and I was bleeding profusely. So I went home, bandaged it up, and ta-da."

"Wow. It looks kind of like angel wings, you know?"

"huh?" I raised an eyebrow.

The girl made a shape with her finger in the air. "Yeah, it looks like two wings coming out of your shoulder blades. It's so cool, but it must have hurt so badly."

"Keh. Why would you care?"

She blushed. "Um, no reason really, I just..."

Some of the girls laughed. "Don't worry about her, she just has this weird idea that there are angels on earth, and that they're here to save us."

She blushed even harder. I tilted my head a little. "I actually used to believe that too. I used to believe in guardian angels, but I grew out of it after..." I trailed off and the bell rang.

The girl I was talking to smiled and put out her hand. "Hi, I'm Angie."

Just like that, I had a freshman stalker.

After school, I was unable to dodge Kevin. He had been trying to grab my attention for weeks, and even better, he was my Physics partner. I supposed that the teacher hated me, but that was brought on by myself as no one would sit next to me in physics.However, I managed to control myself, and treat him with an icy, polite demeanor.

Just as I was about to pull out, some guy walked right in front of my car and refused to move. I honked and shouted, tired and pissed off. Not one customer had called except for a young girl who wanted me to walk her poodle, but it died the day before I was supposed to pick it up.

Kevin knocked on my window, jolting me out of my thoughts. He motioned at me. I suspected he wanted me to roll down the window, but instead I stuck out my tongue and blasted my dance mix CD. I honked, but the footballer wouldn't move. He grinned like an idiot and I realized what was going on. I would have understood sooner, but my mind was a little muddled from the tiredness. Kevin continued to knock on my window, and my cell phone rang unexpectedly. I jumped a little since it was vibrating in my back pocket.

"Hello?" I yawned.

"It's your uncle Joey!"

"What're you doing calling me?" I smiled a little.

"I just wanted to tell you that you've got a job! And this dog isn't going to die like the other one, I promise you!"

"Really? How much are they paying?"

"$8.50 per walk."

"Oh la la." I grinned full out. Finally, some money! Sure, my parents were totally rich and I had inherited all their money, but I would much prefer to keep that money for serious issues, and instead earn my own pay.

"So when do I start?"

"When you get home call me back and I'll tell you the address."

I laughed and thanked him. "You're so awesome!"

"Well, duh!"

"Okay, I'll talk to you later Uncle Joey!" I hung up the phone and sat there, smiling for a few seconds. Inside I was writhing with joy. Finally! I wouldn't have to sit at home and get fat off of food! I could get some exercise, and in one of my favorite seasons too!

"Laurel!" I turned and saw Kevin still standing there. Some of his hair had fallen onto his forehead. I bit my lip.

"Oops." I muttered.

I rolled down the window a crack. "What, Kevin?" I answered coldly.

"Who were you on the phone with?"

"My uncle, asshole. What do you want?"

"Why?"

"If you don't tell me what you want, I'll run this damn jock over, I don't care what happens."

"I want to talk to you."

"What the hell do you think this is?"

"No, I mean, in private."

"Should have thought of that before I started hating you."

"Please?" He made a little pout face.

I stared at him. He was so cute.

'Wait! Stop it!'

"Are you having a seizure or something?" I snapped.

He sighed. "Please, can I talk to you?"

I thought for a second. "Um, how about you tell Apollo what you want to tell me, and I'll get back to you." I smiled tightly and drove out of the parking lot.

I took a quick stop at the market, and saw Tom restocking beverages. As I grabbed some Snapple, he glanced at me.

"Hey, I heard dad got you a job?"

"Yeah. Tell him thanks for me."

He stopped restocking and stared at me.

"What?" I stood up, "What is it?"

"Nothing, you just look kind of stressed out. Maybe you should go walk some dogs. Dad says that always relaxes you."

"What, uncle Joey talks about me?"

"Well duh. You're like a sister to us, Laurel. I know as much about you as Dad does. Believe me, it's weird having a gay dad, but it's helpful."

"Yeah, I guess. Well, I'd better get going. I'll see you tomorrow."

I turned to leave when Tom called me back. "Will you come over for Thanksgiving? This is your second year alone, and I think it would be better to have family nearby."

I stared at him. "You wouldn't mind?" He shook his head no. "But what about Apollo?"

"Oh come on, you know he's going to be with Cathy...he's not with Cindy, is he?" He raised his eyebrow at me.

I shook my head no.

"Well then, come to our house, and if you want, invite him."

I smiled a little sadly. "Yeah, I suppose you're right. All right, it's a date. I'll come over early and help make the Turkey. I make a mean one!" I smiled genuinely.

Tom smiled back and said, "You should do that more often. You look a lot prettier when you smile."

"I can't smile too often, Tom." I fixed my face and turned to go to the register.

At the house, Uncle Joey told me where to pick up the dog. When I knocked on the door, Cathy answered. 'Oh. Lovely. Let me just go shoot myself.'

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to pick up the dog."

"Whatever. Carrie, the dog walker's here!"

"Oh good!" I heard a bark and a large husky jumped me. I fell onto the lawn, and the dog started licking my face. I giggled and pushed him off.

"So, what's your name?" I rubbed his head. Carrie came to the door and stared at me. I stood up and went up to her. "Alright, you guys pay after. Apparently it's $8.50 an hour."

"Per hour? How long are you going to be with him? It should only take you one hour!"

"Well, sometimes it takes two. And I do baby sit dogs too."

"Ugh, fine. Here's his leash."

They slammed the door in my face. I sighed and turned to the dog.

"Come."

The husky came up to me and sat down in front of me. I tied on the leash and glanced at his tag. "Your name is Sparkle?"

Sparkle growled at the name. I laughed. "Alright, what would you prefer?"

He barked.

"Hm...I'll call you Wrath. That's a cool name, huh?"

He barked in consent and we set off.
♠ ♠ ♠
the reason there are so many 'c" names is because when I was writing the story i kept forgetting names. that's about it.