S'Agapo

2007

It was New Year's Eve, and Cathy called me to walk Wrath. However, she had a special request.

I opened the door, and Apollo ran inside to party with everyone else. Cathy came to the door, almost choking Wrath because of how tightly she was holding him. Carrie hovered behind her, trying to stop her from hurting him.

"Here you go." Cathy threw the leash at me.

"Great. Uh, when do you want me to bring him back?"

"Sometime after midnight because I don't want him in the way when the ball drops-got that?"

"Wait, but what if i have to do something at midnight?"

Cindy laughed. She had appeared at the door to see who it was. "Oh, gosh you are just funny!" I briefly thought about setting Wrath on her, "So have him back by around one. Thanks!"

They slammed the door in my face. I suppressed the string of curses coming out of my mouth and stuck out my tongue. "Nyah!"

Around eleven thirty, I went home. No way was I staying out so late- Predators exist. I collapsed on the couch, and Wrath jumped up next to me. We watched the MTV countdown together. At midnight, Wrath licked me on the face. I laughed. "There's my kiss for the new year!"

At one, I returned him to Cindy's. From what I saw, everyone was drunk. I had completely forgotten that Apollo was in the house, and the thought of him didn't even cross my mind until I re-entered my car. "Eh, not my problem."

The next morning, I woke up on the couch. The apple cider was still on the table, which was shaking. 'Wait. The table's shaking?' I sat up and picked up my phone. The table quieted. "H-hello?"

"Laurel, get over here right now! Apollo's going berserk!" It was Cindy.

"What? how? What happened?" I sat up and looked at my watch. It was five a.m.

"Just hurry up and get over here!" I drove over to Cindy's and found that all the contents of the inside of the house were dumped on the lawn. 'Huh, nice plasma TV.'

I know, I know, what the hell was I doing thinking about that when Apollo was going berserk. Hey, don't judge me. Besides, it was nice. I parked the car and dodged a guy who was vomiting next to the TV I was eying. 'So much for that.'

When I got inside, it was bedlam. Cathy was in her underwear, trying to stop Apollo from killing some guy...I think he was a football player. I ran up to him and tried to pry him off as well. Then I noticed his eyes. They were bright red. 'Shit.'

There was a scream, and then something gray jumped Apollo, knocking him onto the couch. A few seconds later, a black blur followed suit. I swerved around, and saw Bane and Wrath holding down Apollo, fangs bared. I stared in disbelief for a moment, then went over to them. Apollo was screaming gibberish. I slapped him hard across the face. He stopped, stunned. I glared at him. "Look at this scene! Look what you've done! Why do you always choose the sluts?"

"Hey!" I shot a glare that could kill at Cathy. She shut her trap. I went back to Apollo and sighed. "You stupid little moron. Get off of him Bane."

Wrath jumped off easily, but Bane looked at me questioningly. I grinned. "Don't worry, he won't try anything!" Bane stared for a moment longer, than stepped (rather daintily) off of him,
"Come on."

I grabbed Apollo's arm and pulled him into a standing position. Dumbly, he followed me out the door. Everyone was dead silent. We got into the car and I rested my hands on the steering wheel. Apollo stared dumbly ahead. "I can't believe you slapped me."

I sighed and rested my head against the steering wheel as well. "I had to make you calm down. I would have told you sooner but-"

"Wait! you knew she was going to do something like this?"

"Yeah."

"Then why didn't you tell me?"

Apollo grabbed me shoulders, and shook me. His eyes were pleading, sad. I looked away. "Would you have believed me if i had told you?"

"..." He let go and looked away. We sat in the car for a few more minutes. then I started up the engine and we drove home, silently.

I cut the engine and opened my door. Apollo didn't move. I started to get out when he said, "I caught her in bed with that football player."

I nodded. "I know."

"She wasn't wearing anything. And he wasn't either."

I nodded. "I know."

He swung around and stared at me evenly. "How long was she cheating on me for?"

I sighed and got back in the car. "You really wanna know?"

Apollo nodded, his eyes glowing. Scratching the side of my face, I said, "Well, she's probably been cheating on you ever since you started dating. It's not like she started relationships with these guys, it was just flings and stuff. I guess you could call it the high school version of a one night stand."

"I...I see."

"Let's just get you inside. I'll be able to check you for wounds in better light, and then you can get some sleep." Apollo nodded. I opened my door again.

"Oh, and Laurel?"

"Hm?"

"Uh...Happy New Year."