S'Agapo

Breakup

I sighed. Apollo was sporting a bruise on his left eye, a pink line (that looked like a girl's fingernail) across his left cheek, and a small gash on his arm. He winced as I pressed the alcohol on his wound. "Oh shut up, you're a god, remember? This stuff shouldn't hurt you."

"Just because I'm a God doesn't mean I can't feel anything."

"Oh, right." I replaced the first aid kit in the kitchen cupboard and shut off the lights. The sun had risen outside and was shining through the window.

I sighed. "So, what now?" I pulled out the chair next to him and sat down.

Apollo looked down. "I think I'd better stay away from Cathy for a while. I don't want to see her."

"Well, you had better break up with her first. If you don't she'll make it seem like it's your fault."

"My fault? She was the one in bed with that guy!"

"Yeah, but she's crazy evil! she'll probably make it seem like your the one who cheated on her and she found it necessary to get revenge."

"I would never do something so ignoble!"

I rolled my eyes. "I know you wouldn't Apollo, you're too good for that kind of thing. But the school doesn't know that... So you'd best end this now before it gets out of hand, okay?"

He leaned back. "Can I just stay home for a while?"

"Well, school starts up again tomorrow, so I think the first thing you should do is break up with her; as in right now. And then, you can pig out on ice cream and stuff with me, okay?"

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

I laughed a little. "Haven't I always been nice to you?"

"Well, recently i suppose, but this is a new level of nice; this is...super nice." I opened Apollo's phone and dialed Cathy's number.

"I'm being so nice because I've been through this before; Kevin broke my heart, Cathy broke yours; it all works out."

Apollo took the phone from me, and I heard Cathy pick up. He was silent. I nudged him, but he remained silent. I stomped on his foot. "Ouch! Hi... uh, uh... ahem. Cathy, I called to tell you we're over, in case you didn't figure that out last night while i was pummeling that
dip-shit. I hope you enjoy your life with him, although it probably won't be long since you contracted Syphilis from him. Bye."

He hung up the phone and slammed his head on the table. "I feel ill."

"Did he really have Syphilis?"

Apollo gave me a look that said, 'of course not.'

"Right. Sorry." I looked around, trying to remember what I did when Kevin broke up with me.

1. I cried. A lot.
2. I threw stuff.
3. I pigged out on ice cream and played video games.
4. I avoided all of my friends.

Apollo sighed again, his head on the counter top. I ran my fingers through his hair. "Come on, get upstairs to sleep. Just try and rest a little, and if you can't, I have a bunch of violent video games like Halo that you can play."

Ten minutes later, Apollo was wearing his shorts and a shirt and was beating the crap out of some 'Tekken three' characters. I patted him on the head. "Okay, I'm going to go get some junk food from the store. Don't leave this spot and if you want anything, just call me, okay?" Apollo nodded. I sighed and bent down. "Don't do anything drastic, okay? She isn't worth getting too worked up over."

At the market, Tom immediately ran up to me. I raised an eyebrow. "What, do you live here or something?"

He gave me a sarcastic smile. "Yes, I live here, I sleep in the back room. No, you retard, you're the one who always arrives whenever I'm working. Stalker!"

"Where's your boyfriend?" I teased.

"Boyfriend?"

"Jake."

Tom went bright red. That was unexpected. "I don't know what your talking about. Anyways, I'm here because I want to ask you about Cathy and Apollo. Everyone's been talking about
them. I only know this because I live nearby them, of course."

I rolled my eyes."It's not against the law to gossip. It's just girlie and unseemly and you'll be damned for eternity. Well, basically, Apollo broke up with Cathy on the phone just a while ago. She was sleeping with some jock when he caught them and then super girl," I pointed to myself, "came in and stopped him from killing them. That's all that happened."

"Well, be careful. Cathy's going to try and get back at you two for this, you know. So just watch yourself, okay?"

I grinned. "I'll be fine."

Tom winced.

"What?"

"Nothing, you just looked really evil just now."

I sighed and pulled a bag of chips off the shelf. "I hate her, did you know?"

I came back from the grocery store to find Apollo still attacking some guy on Tekken. I sat down next to him and pulled out two bags of cheese doodles and two full-sized coke bottles. I ripped open a pack of cheese doodles and shoved one in my mouth. "So, how many have you won?"

"Eight."

"Huh. Cheese doodle?"

"Mm." Apollo shoveled five in his mouth, then snapped open the soda and guzzled it down. He burped loudly. "Uh, excuse me."

I drank some of my coke and burped too. Apollo raised an eyebrow. "Oh, what? You can burp but I can't? Hand me the other controller, fool. I'll show you how this is done!"

We spent the whole day pigging out. After dinner (which consisted of Taco Bell), we both brushed our teeth. As I sat on the floor, playing Kingdom Hearts (for the tenth time), I yawned and rubbed my eyes. Apollo really was a lot to look after, but I was glad to have someone around. I liked being able to take care of another human being...well person...god-man-thing. He came in and sat down next to me. "Here, I killed Hades for you."

I got a chill down my spine after saying that.

Apollo nodded and collapsed on my shoulder. "Apollo?"

He took the controller from my hands and dropped it on the ground.

"Uh?"

"Why does every girl I fall in love with either die horribly or cheat on me? I don't understand it. Do I do something to compel this type of reaction? I feel worse after I've killed them, but I can't seem to stop myself."

Apollo pulled away. "We're the same aren't we? We both have hearts; isn't that what matters? But it feels so strange sometimes. I just don't know what to do. And I can't even die! Maybe then I could at least let go..."

"Apollo. It's good that your feeling all of these things, but you can't let it get to you; People fall in and out of love all the time! Cathy does that a lot; It's really nothing to worry about. I promise you, one day you'll find someone who'll love you until the day she dies, so stop freaking out. When someone gives up on you, give up on them. They aren't worth your time. Okay?"

Apollo hugged me. I pushed his shoulder. "Okay?" He nodded and muttered something,
"What? I can't hear you?"

He pulled away a little. "Yes."

"I'm sorry? I didn't catch that?"

"Yes! Geez!" He was about to say something else when he saw that I was laughing, "What is it?"

"You really do have a short temper!" I didn't understand why it was funny to me, but it was. I snorted and laughed even harder.

Apollo sighed and scratched his head. "I really don't understand you humans."

"Hey, Apollo? You're human right now...wait! You said that you couldn't die, but right now you could, couldn't you?"

He shook his head. "If I died in this body, I would simply become a god again."

I blinked. "So, then, I didn't have to be worrying about you dying this whole time? Geesh. What a waste of anxiety!"

Apollo smiled.

"What are you smiling about?"

"You were worried about me!"

"Nu-uh!" I crossed my arms and stuck out my tongue. "Who could ever be worried about such a self pitying fool like you?"

"...you."

He grabbed me into another hug. I tried to push him off. "Get off already! Why are you so touchy all of a-"

He was shaking. I felt so guilty. 'Crap.' "I'm sorry, Apollo. I didn't mean it, I just forget myself a lot. I'm sorry." I wrapped my arms around him. "You'll be okay."

He shook his head. "I wish I could die already."

I leaned my head on his. "Don't' say stupid things like that."

"Why not? I mean, no one would miss me." He sounded like a stubborn teenager. Which was kind of what he was at the moment.

"I'd miss you, stupid." I sighed and leaned against his forehead. "If you left, I'd be just like I used to be. I don't think I'd be able to handle something like that again. And, I might actually kill myself this time. And I wouldn't be able to come back, like you can. You may be immortal, but it doesn't have to be dreary! You can still do tons of things that are exciting. I mean, I doubt the apocalypse is coming any time soon, and we're always coming up with new stuff, so you can always keep yourself entertained! And besides, this whole world is just like a soap opera, or a race, or a competition- whatever you want to see, it's probably happening somewhere. So don't be so sad, okay? You have a whole world to explore, and right when you think you've seen everything, we'll invent ten thousand brand new things for you!"

"Your babbling. I've noticed you tend to do that when you're nervous."

I tsk-ed. "Well, duh. I like to babble. It helps me think."

Apollo sat up and blinked a little. His eyes were bloodshot. I reached out with my hand, but stopped myself and cleared my throat. "Well, it's late and school starts up again tomorrow. So, we'd better get to sleep. I'm sure when you wake up, it won't feel as bad. Come on. "

I helped him up and we went to our rooms. After I changed, Apollo came into my room. I smiled and said, "If you want you can sleep next to me, but just this once. Okay?"

"You said that once before, you know."

"Well, this is a special case."

Apollo looked at my bed, contemplating. Than he shook his head, grinning like a fool. I thought he might get a nosebleed or something. "No, no. I'll sleep in my room."

I nodded. "Well if you insist."

"G'night." He nodded. I was about to close the door to my room when Apollo pried it open. "Thanks for today."

I nodded. "It's still going to hurt, you know?"

He nodded. "I've been through this so many times, but I've never actually had someone there for me. And, actually, I've never left the cheaters alive."

"It's a good thing I'm here, then."

He nodded. "I really appreciate it."

"Well, get some sleep, and we'll deal with the second stage of hell tomorrow, okay?"

Apollo ran his fingers through his hair. Then, he wrapped his arms around me. It wasn't his usual hug; this one was filled with warmth. It was gentle, and for some reason, made me feel like a china doll. "Good night."

He let go and went to his room. I stood there for a moment, soaking it in. My face was burning red. And I didn't really understand why my heart wasn't paying attention to what my head was saying.
♠ ♠ ♠
...one of my favorite chapters.