S'Agapo

The New Couple

The next morning, I drove Apollo to school. People looked at us when we arrived, but I ignored it, and Apollo followed my example. I went to my locker and grabbed my stuff. As I started walking to my first period class, I saw Cathy come up to Apollo. 'Uh-oh.'

"Apollo, how could you! You're so horrible to me! I didn't even do anything wrong! It was your fault for cheating on me first! I saw you with tha-tha-that tramp!" She was bawling crocodile tears now, and she was pointing at me.

I sighed. "Can she do that?"

"Well, she is so I guess she can." Jake and Tom came up to me. I stared at Tom.

"What are you doing here? You're school's on the other side of this town."

"Yeah, I know. That's why I transferred schools."

"And your dad's okay with that?"

Tom nodded and leaned on my shoulder. Jake leaned on the other one. "You're heavy guys. Get off of me,"They stuck their tongues out at me, "What are you, twins?"

"Lets just go help Apollo, hm?"

They forced me up to him and Cathy immediately pushed out a new wave of tears. "And you're even going to bring her over? What do think I am? I'm not going to do what you want! That's it, it's over!"

"He hasn't even said anything, Cathy," I said, "and I would never date Apollo, however discreetly. He's not my type. So, you have no right to blame this on me, and didn't he already break up with you?" She glared. Keep out of this.

Tom leaned forward. "Hey, you look like you have raccoon eyes."

"Yeah," Jake added, "and your mascara's running all over your face. I like this look on you, Cathy."

"Yeah, like preppy slut gone goth or something."

"Get away from me, you faggots."

I froze and stared at Cathy. "My cousin is not a faggot."

"Oh come on, have you even seen these two together? They're more than best friends. More like boyfriends."

I glanced over and Tom and Jake looked at each other. They went bright red. "Yeah, I'm gay but he doesn't like me!"

They said it simultaneously. Everything else paused for moment. Tom and Jake looked at each other. They didn't say anything. Then, "Yeah, were dating now."

They hugged and wrapped their arms around my shoulders once more. I muttered to myself, "Oh god, why does everything weird have to happen to me?," Then to Cathy, "But they're not faggots. If anything, you're the fag. Stop pestering Apollo, unless you want him to get angry like he was at the party."

Cathy smirked. "Why not? I love when boys fight over me!"

"I wasn't fighting over you!" It was Apollo. I looked up at him; he was on the edge.

'Apollo...'

"I wasn't fighting over you! I was just about as ready to hit you as I was him! I hate you, and if you ever come near me again with this bullshit, I swear I'll hurt you. Do you understand?" I grabbed his arm.

"Calm down, she isn't worth it."

Cathy looked at me. "So you did leave me for her!"

"No, you freaking idiot!" I was about to start shouting! She was annoying me severely. Apollo was getting red.

"Are you dense, woman? Unlike you, I don't cheat on people I care about! Fuck you, and I hope you have fun with your jock! Don't ever come near me, period!" He stormed off.

Tom and Jake whistled. "That didn't go so well."

"Yeah. Oh Cathy, you look like a drowned slut, you should probably go fix your make-up."

I sighed and revved up the car. The snow was starting to dry away, and February was just around the corner. Cathy had finally stopped pestering Apollo. Now she was trying to make him jealous with some other guy. I didn't really understand why seeing as every time Apollo spotted her, he'd careen off in another direction. It was really funny, actually. I knew he was trying hard not to hurt her. What a good little god.

I pulled out of the parking lot, and saw Cathy making out with Kevin. Yeah, that was her new boyfriend. I was surprised at first, but I'd realized that after Christmas, I'd started to care less and less about Kevin, and my thoughts were more and more focused on Apollo and Tom and Jake and Uncle Joey, and I was focusing a lot better in school. I was still getting straight A's, but not just 90s; almost every test I got back was a hundred or higher (extra credit). Things were looking up.

---

"Wait!"

I spotted Apollo in my rear view mirror. He ran up to the car and jumped into the passenger's seat. "Gees, why didn't you wait?"

I stuck my tongue out at him. "I waited for a good five minutes. You walk so slow. It's your fault. Nyah!"

"Hey, Laurel?"

"Mm?"

"Valentine's day is coming up."

"Yeah, ten days. What about it?"

"Do you want anything?

Not really," I yawned, "Why?" I turned and looked at him, suddenly suspicious. "Why are you fidgeting?"

"Huh?"Apollo stopped twiddling his thumbs. "I'm not fidgeting."

"Yeah, you are."

"Well, it's only because Eros came to me in a dream last night and told me I had to get you something for Valentine's day, or else he would make it like hell for me when I got back to Olympus." His cheeks were red. I sighed.

"Then, get me a CD or something little. Don't go crazy, I mean it won't mean anything so just make it something small, okay? Don't waste money on me."

"But that's not fair! Besides, Eros said it had to be something really amazing, or else he'd pummel me."

"Why are you afraid of Eros? I thought you were the stronger god- no offense Eros." I added, looking up.

"Well, he may be weaker than me, but he's my brother, and he can beat me up if I'm asleep!"

"Ah, sleep. I love sleep." I smiled dreamily and shut off the car engine.

"But, Laurel!"

I stopped opening my door. "What? If you really want to get me something, just go buy me those cheesy Valentines Day things, like those flowers that die two days after you buy them, and some expired chocolates. I don't really care. I'll pretend to be all touched and stuff, okay? Will that do?" I didn't wait for his answer. Instead, I slammed the door shut and opened the house door. "Are you coming or not? We have too much homework to be lounging around."