S'Agapo

Forgetting

The priest droned on as the Apollo's body was burned. I would have had it buried, but that was for humans. He wasn't human.

At home, I went into the backyard and dug a hole in the corner of my garden. After burying the ashes, I went back into the house, my black pants covered in soil. With a sigh I pulled them off and grabbed my pajamas.

After burning the rest of Apollo's things in the fireplace- even his cell phone (Bane gave it to me when I let him inside)-I made myself breakfast and sat down on the couch, reflecting on what Bane had told me.

- - -

"I have to leave soon. Father said 'it's almost time.'"

"But it's not fair!"

"Did you forget this was a punishment? This is what he wants. I can't change it and even if I tried any tricks, he'd know. He's all seeing, after all." We were quiet for a few minutes, hearing only the sound of Tina in the shower. She was singing louder than usual. She was so sweet, trying not to eavesdrop.

"So, what's going to happen to Laurel? You're going to go back to Mount Olympus, and you'll forget about her soon. You'll leave her heartbroken - I know you will, it's just like you damned heartless gods."

"Don't be stupid! I wont forget her! I know she doesn't love me! Did you not see what she's done? Humans don't do that if they love you! And obviously she doesn't love me anymore!" He shouted.

"She's not normal! In case you haven't noticed, I've been with her longer than you have, Apollo! I know all of her secrets! Sure she stopped coming to the forest after you came along, but damn it, I still bet I could tell you more about her than you would ever know without my help!"

- - -

Bane had reiterated every word that had passed between them up until Apollo's abrupt departure. Apparently, Bane had given up sooner than Apollo, who had actually continued calling me, realizing that the door was futile-it wasn't going to open.

Bane had rushed over to my house via Tina's- his girlfriend's- car. When I wouldn't answer my phone Bane banged on the door and started screaming at me, probably disturbing several neighbors in the process. I had opened it, and he'd stared at me as if he'd seen a ghost. I ignored it and nearly screamed in his face. "What do you mean, Apollo's dead? He's a god--gods don't die!"

"Well, whatever the hell he did-his body's at the morgue, and I'm pretty sure the doctors said he was dead!"

There appeared to be a lapse in my memory. Suddenly, I was in front of Apollo's body, nodding my head as one of the doctors asked me if this was my boyfriend. I was already getting strange looks from them, and a few people whispered as I left-I was still wearing Apollo's boxers and tee-shirt with my high tops. I refused to cry. I just stared stoically. I would no longer cry because of him. I took a deep breath. "You're going to have to hold some sort of funeral." Bane said to me when we got back to the car.

I nodded numbly. "I want him buried in my backyard."

I took a sip of my coffee and smiled. 'Who knew Bane had a girlfriend? I'm glad he thinks of us as just friends.' Right after that day when he brought home the soggy flowers, apparently Tina had approached him. She was pretty and sweet and funny, and she could kick ass. Bane had really liked her,and they had hit it off.

I suddenly had the urge to grab a gun and shoot myself in the head. I wasn't sure why, there wasn't too much going on-Kevin and Cathy had hooked up, Bane had a girlfriend, I had a steady job at some sushi restaurant, not to mention my top college had accepted me. Why was I so hung up over him? I mean, really, he was just a guy. I refused to let it get to me.

"I have to get busy."

I took double shifts at the sushi restaurant and started actively participating in school, quickly alienating all of my peers- who knew about Apollo's death- and getting several letters from my school guidance counselor and that crazy social worker I hated.I ignored them all, always keeping myself busy- either I was out with Tom and Jake, working, studying, playing DDR and guitar hero or running. I could never sit still or else those thoughts would come back- the suicidal ones, mingling effortlessly with memories of Apollo. I wanted to forget it all.

After school, I was walking back to my car when I noticed Eros and someone I didn't know leaning against it. I walked up to them and smiled, boiling with rage inside. 'Hey, Cupid, how are you doing?'

He smiled back. "This is Hades, god of the underworld. He wants to bargain with you."

I became immediately suspicious. "It's nothing to be worried about, really," Hades smiled, "I believe that you want to completely forget about Apollo, correct? I can do that. And I can make everyone else who came in touch with him forget him as well. Think of it as damage control." He sounded like a sleazy car salesman. I wasn't buying.

"No thank you." I opened my car door and jumped inside. He caught the door before I closed it.

"You think we can't hear those suicidal thoughts spiraling in your mind? Do you know what happens to those who commit suicide, Miss Laurel? I would tell you but, if I did, I'm afraid you'd completely lose your mind." They were quiet, almost inaudible words. The most
frightening kind.

Hades smiled. "But if you take a sip, you'll forget all your pain and you can live your life just as you want to- without interference of foolish emotion. Not to mention, you won't be miserable when you come down to live with me."

I didn't know what came over me, but suddenly I said, "Just hurry up with it then."

He smiled. "I knew you'd see the light." He pulled out a small vile. "This is from the river Lethe. Contrary to popular belief, it wont erase your entire past unless you guzzle it. I want you to take a small drop and put it in some milk before you go to sleep-"

"Milk? I don't-"

"You will. And you will drink the milk and you will go to sleep. By tomorrow morning, everything will be just as it was before he arrived."

"Fine."

Hades smiled politely and shut the door. "I'll be seeing you then, my dear." He bowed as I drove away, Eros watching silently. I realized I was shaking.
♠ ♠ ♠
the river lethe does exist, i just altered it's ability- one drink and you lose ALL your memories ^_^