S'Agapo

Jake

The next morning I pulled on my Disney store clothes and my Mickey Mouse hat. I decided to wear my hair in a tight ponytail. I grabbed my keys and walked out the door, completely forgetting there was another being in the house. Beeping my truck I opened the door and started the car. I rolled down the driver side window and went back into the house to grab my wallet and a cereal bar.

Halfway through work I remembered Apollo. We had exchanged numbers last night so if he needed anything he could just call. To reassure myself, I pulled out my cellphone and checked. No service.

Aw, damn.

During my break I left the mall and stood outside, a little away from some druggies. I called home. No answer. I called his cell phone.

"Hello?"

"Yo, Apollo, where are ya?"

"What in the heavens? Why are you talking like that?"

"Not really that sure," I enjoyed freaking people out once in awhile, "Where are you?"

"I'm at my girlfriend's house."

"Girlfriend? Who the hell is that?"

"Cindy, that girl I met at the indoor market...What? No, it's that girl I live with, you know, Laurel?"

A cutesy voice: "What, you live with that nerd? Ew, I can't believe you're actually serious!"

I hung up the phone and turned to go back inside. That voice was like nails on a chalkboard. Unfortunately, a druggie came and stood in my way. "Aw, you look just aw-dorable!"

"Wow, what are you smoking?" I sighed and looked him in the eyes. My face was contorted into an unemotional, stone face.

He leaned down to kiss me. I slammed my palm in his face, breaking his nose. "Mess with me again and die." I walked upstairs to the Disney store.

I got out of work at seven, just when it was starting to get dark. The second I stepped out into the cool night air, two things happened simultaneously:

1) Two druggies came up to me

2 )My cell phone rang.

I picked up my phone and stared lifelessly at the druggies. "Hello?"

"Hey, when are you going to be home? I'm hungry! My stomach is actually making noises! I think I'm dying!"

"Open the fridge moron. They'll be some stuff in there called food. You can eat that stuff. I'll be home soon, just-" One druggie slapped the phone out of my hand, and it skittered onto the pavement. I glanced at my palm, then the phone. I could still hear Apollo complaining. I leaned down to pick up the phone, but the guy grabbed my shirt collar and picked me up into the air. "Who the hell do you think you are, bitch?"

I looked at him, then the other guy, whose nose I had crushed earlier. "Oh, you want revenge or something? Well, it was his fault he got beaten up by a girl." I would have stared him in the eyes, but my head was skyward.

"Shut your trap!" He slapped me across the face, "Watch what you say to me. I can do lots of things to you." He pressed his face in front of mine, and I grimaced.

"Such acrid breath," I said, shoving my hand in his face. He dropped me. "Go away." I brushed off his hand and attempted to pick up my phone again. My hands brushed the keypad when he kicked me. I fell forward, and collided with a column. I sat up and rubbed my head. The guy was snickering. "I hate you."

I glared at him, and saw him shudder. Standing up I hung up on the apparently hysterical Apollo. "Sorry guys, but playtime's over, I have to go home now," I started to walk away when another two guys came on me, "Look, I'm sorry I hurt your little buddy but he totally deserved it. Now let me go home, okay?"

The new guys pulled out a switchblade and a gun.

"I'm guessing that's a no." I dropped my messenger on the ground and swiftly kicked an unarmed guy in the face. Not even watching to see him land I smashed the druggies nose in...again. But just as he hit the ground, the guy with the switchblade caught me around the neck and threatened me. "I think you ought to apologize, sweetheart."

"I already did moron." Like hell I was giving up that easily.

"But that's not enough. Now then, hows about you come over to my place and-ugh!" He slid to the floor.

"Piss off, loser." I turned to see a guy that looked 20, standing over the knocked out bodies of
the armed idiots. He kicked the weapons out of their hands and looked up at me. "I think I
just saved you."

I nodded and picked up my messenger. "Thanks, guy." I turned to leave but he followed.

"The name's Jake."

Sigh.

"Thanks, Jake." I gave him a look that said go away and continued walking.

"Hey, Jake where the hell where you? I was-Oh, hey cousin."

Sigh. This wasn't going to end, was it?

"Hey, Tom. bye Tom." I turned and beeped my truck. I guess Jake wasn't 20, then.

"So, you're Tom's cousin? He was right: You are kinda cute."

I stopped dead with my hand on the door handle. "I'm kinda what?" My voice was venomous.

"You're kinda mjhrtantauyera!" I turned to see Tommy choking his friend. I stared for a minute, then opened the door and went inside.

"You're both morons."

'And liars,' I added in my head.

I started the ignition and was about to leave when Jake wrestled free and leaned into the car. I shouldn't have rolled down the window. I started to roll it up. "Aw, come on! Don't you want to at least hear me out?" Slightly interested, I stopped and stared ahead, waiting, silent.

He sighed and pulled himself out of the hazard zone. "I wanted to know, if maybe we could grab a dri-" I finished rolling up the window, pulled out of the parking lot and started to drive. Amazingly, I could actually still hear him."Can't I at least have your number?"

My cell phone rang again. I picked it up. "Laurel, I'm hungry!"

I hung up the phone and found I had started to laugh. 'Things just like to go wrong with me, don't they?'