Close to the Heart

What If

It had been a little over a week since I left Camp Rock and as lame as it sounds, I honestly felt like a new person. There was no more worrying about the past and spending so many years pondering over why my best friend stopped speaking to me.

That was definitely all in the past now. For the last week all I did was lounge around the house eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and blasting the music to the loudest it would go.

I had no plans of leaving my house since all the food I needed would arrive after a made a few calls to the local fast food of my choice. I lounged around all day and welcomed the silence.

It was nearing six in the evening and my pizza that I had ordered thirty minutes ago should be here any moment. I got impatient with those phony ads that claimed “Your pizza will be delivered in less than 30 minutes or it’s free.” It was complete crap. They are probably going to make up some excuse and I will have to end up paying the twelve bucks.

I sat with my back against the leather couch and my feet up on the coffee table in front of me. I kept looking the clock above the entryway to my kitchen as the seconds ticked on and I was still pizza-less. I was about to get up to call the place when the doorbell chimed, causing my feet to quickly hit the floor as I dashed towards the front door.

I un-did the chain and pulled the door open. There stood the pizza deliver boy holding my pizza. I could smell the melted cheese and the savory smell of the meat overload that would soon be in my mouth. I knew I have been eating pizza way too much this last month, but what could I do? I could live off of pizza if I had to.

“That’ll be…”

“You’re late man,” I said as I leaned on the door and looked at the delivery guy that stood in front of me.

“I was about to say it was free,” he replied quickly. He smiled at me, flashing me his pearly whites. Pizza boy is flirting...sort of lame but in a cute way.

“It should be free. You’re a little on the late side.”

“I would have been earlier if I would have known someone like you would be answering the door.”

I stared at him with a raised eyebrow. “Someone like me?” I eyeballed the cardboard box he held in his hands. “Can I have my pizza yet?”

“How about I join you?” he questioned. Now he was pushing it. He may have extraordinary teeth, a charming smile and was man enough to flirt with a complete stranger he knew nothing about. What was the worst that could happen if I invited him in? Oh there were about a million possibilities.

“I don’t think so,” I replied as I swiftly grabbed the pizza box from his hands, “Night.”

Making sure the door was locked; I walked back to the living area and placed the pizza on the table. Kneeling I opened the box and began to devour the pizza. In fifteen minutes alone, I managed to eat four slices and I was about to go for a fifth when the phone rang loudly to my right.

I stared at it as it rang a second time followed by a third and I finally stood up and walked over to it. I picked it up and mumbled a quick, “Hello?”

“How’s my bella Isabella?”

“I’m pretty good dad. I miss you though,” I replied to his cheesy comment and went to sit on the couch. “How are you? I can’t wait to see you in a few days.”

“I’m doing well,” he replied. “Quick question though. Have you heard from Shane lately? I haven’t really seen much of him around lately and Final Jam is tomorrow.”

“That would be a big negative, dad. I haven’t really seen him since I left.”

“You’re kidding me,” he replied. “Not a word? I need him.”

“I’m sure you do,” I said. I leaned forward and grabbed another slice, nibbling it as I waited for him to talk back. “See that’s what you get for relying on him dad. He’s a useless, lying, and good for nothing-”

“I get it,” he replied. He huffed loudly in the background. “If he doesn’t show up by tomorrow I’ll just resort to Nate and Jason. And as much as I don’t want to say it, but since I believe this is half your fault, you’re going to be the third judge.”

“Excuse me?” I replied harshly. “I’m not going back. Isn’t two judges enough? I mean honestly, how many people are even performing this year? Three?”

“For your information, there are ten this year,” he replied. “And I expect to see you and my Jeep back here tomorrow morning if he doesn’t show up.”

“Dad, are you serious?” I questioned. “Can’t you get Connect Three’s biggest fan or something to do it?”

“No Isabella,” he replied sharply, “You made this mess, you’re cleaning it up.”

“What mess?” I questioned. “I have nothing to do with his sudden disappearance. Why are you blaming me?”

“Do you want to know why I blame you? I blame you because the night you left he was unbearable,” he said. “He refused to teach his lessons the next morning, didn’t eat a thing and he owes me a brand new lamp. He threw it across the room when I tried to ask if he knew why you left.”

“That doesn’t answer my question. I don’t have-”

“He was starting to become nicer after you two started talking again,” he replied. “I noticed his change in attitude. He was back to how he was when you two were attached at the hip. He’s obviously extremely upset you left.”

“I left because he’s become an irritant. I can’t deal with his roller coaster emotions anymore. One minute he’s being a jerk then he’s all mushy gushy and wanting to move in with me or something. It’s getting old! And I’ve explained this all to him, so I would like it if you don’t blame me dad. It hurts that you blame me for something so little and stupid like being one judge short for your final jam.”

“Bella, I’m sorry. I don’t want to blame you and surely I didn’t know about all of these things going on,” he replied. I heard silence on the other line, followed by a long breath out. “Listen, you don’t have to come anymore. I’m sorry for yelling at you and forcing you to come. We’ll… well we will just have to improvise or just use Nate and Jason.”

“You said it’s tomorrow?” I questioned.

My dad already said Shane was M.I.A. So the chances of him not being there was very high. What was the worst that could happen? The only thing I could come up with was being bombarded with questions of my whereabouts and possibly questions revolving Shane.

“Yes,” he replied, “But don’t worry about it. I’ll see you this weekend.”

“I’ll see you tonight,” I said, “Okay? Let’s just forget this conversation happened. Are you sure he’s not there and this isn’t some trap to have us locked in a room and make up?”

He chucked on the line, “No. He really isn’t here. Unless he is and I just can’t find him. Nate and Jason both haven’t heard from him either in case you wanted to know.”

“I didn’t, but thanks,” I said. I leaned forward and closed the half empty pizza box. “Dad, I’ll see you in a few hours. I’m going to put a few things in a duffle and drive over there, okay. Love you, bye.”

I ended the call and put the phone back in it’s holder as I maneuvered my way towards my bedroom. I quickly found a small duffle bag and started putting enough clothes to last me at least three days.

As much as I was enjoying being home alone with no one bothering me, I finished my quick packing and threw my duffle bag in the back of the Jeep. I ran back into the house, cleaned up the small mess I made and went to sit in the passenger seat.

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. I wasn’t only going back to camp because my dad needed me. I wasn’t going back because he blames me for Shane’s disappearance.

I was going back because I was afraid. I was afraid for Shane. Nobody has heard from him and he hadn’t been seen in over a week. What if he did something drastic because of me? He never seemed the type to do anything drastic, he was a by the book guy, but what if?

I wanted to get back to camp as fast as I could because if I did, maybe somehow that would change the past. It would make it seem as if I never left and if I opened my eyes I would be sitting on my bed right now. It would all be a bad dream and my last words to him weren’t “You’re such a baby.”

I opened my eyes and looked straight at my closed garage door. It wasn’t a dream. This was reality and in no way could I take back everything I said to Shane.

I would have one last shot to do over everything and I was going to start by finding the only guy I could ever love. Knowing him better than himself, I started the car and started driving towards the one place I knew I would be able to find him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I know. Five months and no update. EPIC FAIL. I'm sorry :/

But I decided to not end it this chapter. I wrote it in two parts and the next one will be out sooner than five months.

Next chapter WILL be the finale. :)