Close to the Heart

Drama Queen

“Great, my day just got better,” I said as none other than Tess Tyler and her posse came walking towards us.

“Bellie! How’s my favorite person in the world?” I rolled my eyes. I knew she was only nice to me since my dad was the Brown Cessario.

“Hello Tess, I’m okay and yourself?” I replied with no enthusiasm.

“I’m doing fabulous. Did you know Shane Gray is here?” She squealed a little and Barron and Sander stifled their laughs.

“Really? I had no idea.”

“Your dad never told you?” I shrugged.

“Probably just slipped my mind.”

“Well, you should introduce me if you two know each other.”

“We don’t know each other, he knows my dad and that’s it.”

“So have your dad introduce you guys so you can introduce me.” She gave me a wink which made me want to throw her in the lake as well.

“Yeah, sure, whatever Tess, I’ll see you later.” I quickly walked away before she could get another word out. “Ugh, I hate her too!” Barron and Sander both laughed.

“Is there anyone you don’t hate?”

“Well, there’s you two and half the camp.” They both laughed as we walked around the camp talking about life outside of Camp Rock.

“Guys, this isn’t funny anymore! I want out of this, I have to share my shower and I’m running out of hair product. You better turn that limo around this second.”

Barron, Sander and I all exchanged glances as we heard Shane yelling on the phone.

“What a drama queen,” I said. I heard Shane huff.

“And Nate, I’m going to murder you. You never said that she’s going to be here. She looks so-” Shane stopped in mid-sentence seeing as he was about to run into us since he wasn’t watching where he was going.

“Aw, is little Shane afraid of roughing it out for three months?”

“I am not afraid of anything. Hello, I’m Shane Gray.”

“Yeah, I know who you are, I grew up with you. Or is your ego so big now that you don’t even remember that?”

“You seemed familiar, the face and all. But didn’t your dad tell you? This is a camp, not a fashion runway. Go change out of your little skinny jeans and stilettos and put on some real clothes.” I scoffed.

“Listen here buddy; I could say the same thing for you. What kind of a guy wears skinny jeans and tight shirts? If I have to change, I will make damn sure that you change your attire as well.”

“Burn,” Barron whispered as he and Sander both started laughing in the background. Shane looked at me flabbergasted and kept his mouth shut.

“Don’t have a comeback do you?” I said with a satisfied smirk on my face.

“I, uh-”

“Yeah, go fix your hair or something. It’s starting to frizz up.” I walked away satisfied I had the last word with Barron and Sander inches behind me still laughing.

“I can’t believe you just told Shane Gray off.” I laughed.

“I’m going to make his stay here living hell. Trust that.”

*

“Wake up superstar,” I yelled at Shane who was still knocked out. I was only in his area because my dad told me to.

“Go away; I need my sleep more than you.” I rolled my eyes.

“You’re really going to regret not waking up in about ten seconds.”

“Isabella, shut up.” I laughed as I grabbed a bucket of lake water I picked up before coming in the room.

“Okay, you asked for it.” I hoisted the bucket up and dumped it all over him. My dad did say get him up by any means necessary.

“What the hell?” Shane groaned loudly.

“Told you that you’d regret it.” I put the bucket on the floor and walked out of the cabin. I wasn’t technically a camper, but I felt like joining a class today. I usually go to my dad’s classes, but even if I am mad at him, I joined his class like always.

“Psst, Bellie, sit next to me!” Tess said while patting the seat next to her. I shook my head even though that was the last seat in class. I waved to a couple of people and went to stand next to Barron, Sander and Andy.

“Morning guys,” I said.

“Hey Bella, where have you been?”

“I had to wake up Mr. Pop Star.” I grinned evilly as I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall. All three guys laughed as my dad walked in.

“What’d you do?” Barron asked.

“I threw a bucket of cold lake water at him.” They all started laughing all over again. “Well, blame my dad telling me to get him up.”

“Alright you guys, who’s ready for a killer summer?” Everyone in the room started whooping and clapping.

“Are you going to actually participate in anything this year?” Sander asked. I laughed.

“Sander, how long has you known me for?”

“Long enough.” Barron and him both laughed and did their little boyish handshake.

“Whatever, but no of course not. I’m only here so I won’t be home alone all summer bored out of my mind.”

“You know you’re only here because we’re here,” Barron said which made me laugh.

“Sure, real ladies man you are,” I joked.

“Alright, so who wants to sing to me first?” The whole entire class raised their hands and some shook their arms around trying to get my dad’s attention.

“What about you poppet?” my dad said pointing to a girl in the front.

“Ooh, I’ll go!” Tess shouted with her hand still raised.

“Now, now, why don’t we give this girl a chance?” The girl stood up and faced the class looking petrified, but sang her song anyways. I was shocked at how good she actually was.

“Who’s this lovely girl?” Barron asked completely interested in the newcomer. I shrugged.

“No clue, but don’t go off introducing yourself to her and scaring her away.” Sander laughed and Barron glared at the two of us. “What? It’s just a suggestion doll.”

“Who else would like to sing out for all to hear?” Again with the hand raising and arms nearly popping out of their sockets. My dad ended up picking Ella, who’s one of the dumbest people I have ever met, but she’s got another great voice – surprisingly.

After nearly an hour of listening to people sing, I was getting bored, but finally class ended. We all left the class and stood standing outside the door.

“Where you going to go Bella?” I shrugged.

“I had enough of hearing people sing today and clap their hands. I think I’m going to sleep or something.”

“Okay, see you at lunch then?” I nodded.

“Save me a seat, okay?”

“Of course mi amore, right next to Papa Bear,” Barron said with his arms open. I laughed I shook my head and started walking back up towards my cabin. I opened the screen door and walked inside. I knew someone was in there since the door was wide open, but I didn’t really care. I walked straight to my bed and laid down on it.

“Hey kid, give me some of your conditioner. I ran out,” Shane said.

“Tough luck.” I heard him scoff. I knew he had his arms crossed and was impatiently tapping his foot but I could care less. “Go away; I want to take a nap.”

“I don’t care what you want to do. Let me borrow your conditioner and I’ll go away.” I sat up and looked in square in the eye.

“And why should I let you borrow anything of mine?”

“Because you love me like every girl out there.” I laughed the loudest, fakest laugh ever.

“You really are conceited, you know that right? I would never love you; I don’t even listen to your bloody music that’s how much I dislike you.” Shane still stood there with his arms crossed. I noticed he was still wearing his wet pajamas from this morning.

“Did you not bother getting out of bed today?”

“You expect me to go out there looking like this? That water must be filthy and you dumped it on me. I hope you know I’m telling your dad about your little stunt.”

“Oh boohoo. I could care less what you tell my dad. Just go away and ask some other girl for her conditioner.”

“No, they’ll scream in my face. I’m in no mood for girlish squeals today.”

“If I were in a better mood, I’d scream in your face. Too bad I don’t like you.”

“Why are you so jealous of me? I mean I know I’m good looking and talented and all-” Again I laughed.

“You just don’t get it do you? Our friendship went out the door once your career blossomed. But knowing you, you probably forgot we were even friends.”

“I didn’t know you even cared,” Shane said bluntly.

“Cared about what?”

“Our friendship, duh.” I rolled my eyes.

“Can you leave? I want to sleep.”

“Fine, I’m not in the mood for your cry stories anyways. This is a music camp, not share your feelings on Dr. Phil camp.”

“Stop talking! Your voice is disgusting.” I looked at Shane and for the first time in three years I saw the person who he really is; that sweet, caring, down to earth guy. His usual pompous, selfish grin was completely wiped from his face the moment I said that. Actual, every time I would tell him off he completely changed and became a robot.

“Fine, I won’t bother you for the next three months. We don’t want Little Miss Princess being upset now do we?” Shane glared at me as he walked away from my area and out of the cabin.

“Shane, wait.” I stood up and ran after him. Why? I don’t even know myself. “Shane!”

“What?” he yelled as he stopped speed walking.

“Where are you going?” He shrugged.

“What do you want? I told you that I wasn’t going to be in your presence. Aren’t you happy?”

“Look, about that disgusting comment I made.”

“Yeah?”

“Sorry,” I mumbled softly.

“What?”

“I said sorry!” Shane looked at me flabbergasted. “You’re acting as if you never heard an apology.”

“I just don’t see why you’re apologizing. I’m the jerk and I’ve never apologized.”

“I have class, unlike you.”

“We were raised by the same guy, how could you have more class than me?” I shrugged.

“You tell me.”

“I was asking you.” I groaned loudly.

“See! There you go again, you’re a normal human being for one minute and then you’re a jackass again.”

“Well excuse me.” I scoffed and walked away. I promised myself I wouldn’t talk to him, but here I go trying to change him back into the person who he would never be again.

“Fine, but you can’t always walk away from your problems Cessario!” I let another frustrated groan escape my mouth as I angrily walked back to the cabin and tried to fall asleep.