Close to the Heart

The Lake

“Is it true Shane’s teaching this class?” Barron asked. I yawned loudly since I spent almost half the night awake watching out for Shane.

“Yep, I can’t wait to see this train wreck.”

“Doesn’t he dance well though?” Sander asked. I shrugged.

“I’ve never seen him do anything besides hold a mic in his hands.”

“Don’t have much faith in him do you?” Barron asked. I shrugged and yawned again.

“I don’t know.” As if on queue, Mr. Shane Gray came into the room the whole class was all dramatic-like.

“Everyone grab a hat and a mic, and follow me,” he snapped, “And Cessario, if you’re going to be in here, you’re dancing.” I rolled my eyes.

“No way.” He walked right up to me, barely leaving any room between the two of us. I could smell the mint gum he was chewing on. He blew a bubble and popped it annoyingly with his tongue.

“How would you like this gum in your hair then?”

“That’s childish, even for you,” I snapped back.

“Grab a mic and a hat or leave.” I huffed loudly and did something only Shane would ever do, I strutted my way to where the hats and mics were located and picked them up. I went back to where Barron and Sander were, just as Shane turned on the music.

He immediately started dancing, and quite awkwardly if you ask me. I felt myself staring at his ass and pinched myself to stop. I told him not to wear skinny jeans, and what does he do? Wears skinny jeans; WHITE ones at that.

“Come on!” Half the class followed him, and soon after that everyone was dancing; including myself. I found all of his moves stupid, but fairy easy to do. No wonder he was teaching this class in the first place.

Everything was going fairly well, that is until Andy fell. I was about to go over to help him up until Tess piped up.

“Talk about dancing to the beat of a different drum.”

“Hey listen up Barbie. At least Andy’s way more talented than you’ll ever be. Plus he’s-”

“Bella,” Shane said grabbing my wrist and pulling me away from Tess; whom I was about to slap that stupid smirk right off her face. “You play drums?” He looked down at Andy with his hand still firmly around my wrist.

Andy nodded and of course showed off his drum skills to Shane; who actually smiled – a real smile.

“Wow dude, you’re even better than the drummer we have for the band.”

Am I dreaming, or did Shane Gray just compliment someone besides himself?

“Listen, if you need any help with dancing, just ask me. I wouldn’t mind teaching you.”

Not dreaming – and did he just offer his free time to help someone other than himself?

I realized Shane still had a grasp of my wrist and I pulled away from him to go where Barron, Sander and Caitlyn were all standing talking amongst themselves.

“Did you just tell Tess off? Because you are officially my new hero,” Caitlyn said. I laughed.

“I would have done more if he didn’t get involved.”

“Yeah, but then she’d tell your dad and you’d be gone. I wouldn’t see you ever again,” Barron said and put his hand over his face and fake sobbed.

“Didn’t know you cared so much,” I said. “I still owe a punch to her face. Maybe I’d knock her out and she’d be nice for once.” We all looked at each other and laughed sarcastically. “Like that’d ever happen.”

“Guys, guys!” Andy said running up to us. “Shane said he’d help me with my dancing! He’s not as bad as you said he was Bella.”

“You know, I’m actually in shock right now. It’s bugging me how nice he’s acting today. Maybe he’s only nice to guys.”

“Maybe he really is nice!” Sander said which made me stare at him weirdly. “Fine, only to guys.”

“Look, he’s coming over!” Caitlyn said like a stalker-like fan girl. I didn’t bother turning around, but I felt myself being turned around despite.

“Hey, no fighting in my class.” I rolled my eyes.

“You didn’t even want to teach here; now it’s your class?”

“Well, I’m done for today. Want to take a ride in a canoe?” I stared at him shocked again – probably looking like an idiot. I felt a hand go under my chin to close my mouth for me. I looked and realized it was Barron’s hand.

“Okay then, let’s go,” Shane said.

“Wait a minute, who said I’m going anywhere with you? You might push me off the canoe or something and nobody would ever know what would happen to my dead body.”

“Stop being so dramatic. I just asked you in front of four other people; ya think I’m really going to kill you?”

I wasn’t in the mood at the moment being alone with Shane, on a canoe. So, I did what I did best – turn him down.

“Sorry, I’m busy. I got to put peroxide in my hair since you said my roots are growing in. I’ll see you guys later.” I smiled to myself as I handed Shane my hat and mic. I walked out the door and around the camp. I knew if I went straight to my cabin, he’d find me and force me to go on a stupid canoe ride with me.

“Hey!” I heard behind me, but I wasn’t sure if it was directed towards me.

“Hey!” I felt someone put their hand on my shoulder and I turned around to see a girl a few years younger than me with straight brown hair.

“Hi,” I said.

“Hey, I just wanted to say nice one on telling Tess off today.”

“But I didn’t even get to finish ‘cause of Shane,” I said. She laughed.

“Well, you attempted to and definite props to you for that.” I smiled.

“So, who are you anyways? I’ve never seen you around here before.”

“Oh, sorry. I’m Mitchie Torres. It’s my first year here.”

What kind of a name is Mitchie?

“Really? Hey, aren’t you the cook’s daughter?” This girl’s face dropped and turned white.

“N-no.”

“Really? I could have sworn the girl had straight brown hair and I haven’t seen anyone with that around here. But if not, my mistake I also could have sworn the cook’s last name was Torres too, but sorry.”

“You’re Brown’s daughter right?” she asked changing the topic. I nodded. “That must be fun.”

“I guess. I mean he’s cool and all but the only time I spend time with him is when he’s at camp. He’s always on tour with his band.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I get to live with my aunt, and she’s even cooler than my dad.”

“So are you a camper or what? I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions, I just-”

“No, I’m not technically a camper. Just as long as I don’t start anything or get in anyone’s way or whatever, I just roam around the camp minding my own businesses.”

“That’s cool.” I nodded my head.

“Listen, you don’t have to impress me whatsoever. I don’t judge anyone and I don’t care that you’re mom’s a cook. I just don’t like it when people lie.” Her face dropped again.

“How’d you know?”

“I put two and two together, an idiot could do that. But, I won’t tell anyone if you’re worried. I’m not much of a gossip girl. I just don’t see why you want to impress anyone around here, they’re all normal people.”

“Well except Tess.” I scoffed.

“Please stop being her friend. I’ll hand out with you and introduce you to anyone, just stop dealing with her. She’ll drag you down with her or do something equally evil to you.”

“But she’s really nice.” I rolled my eyes.

“She had you singing backup last night. You call that nice?”

“Well, no.”

“Exactly my point.” I saw Shane making his way over to us. “Ugh, I’ll talk to you later okay? You can stop by at my cabin any time you want. Bye!” I started speed walking away from Shane, but my guess was he ran his way to catch up.

“Where’ve you been all day?”

“I just saw you ten minutes ago.”

“Oh, well come on! Let’s do something!”

“Why are you being nice all of a sudden?” I asked curious still recalling last night.

“I can’t be nice?”

“No, especially after what you said last night. About paying me back.”

“Come on, you said the same thing and I’m not afraid of you.”

“I didn’t say I was afraid of you, I am not in the mood to go on a canoe.”

“At least you’re not wearing white, come on. Let’s do something at least; I have nothing to do all day.”

“And that’s my problem why?”

“Who was that girl you were talking to?”

“Why?” I snapped.

“She looks all young and cute. Someone I’d like to get to know better.”

“You’re disgusting. She’s half your age.”

“She’s 9?”

“No, she’s probably 14 or something. Plus you’re a bloody counselor here or whatever the hell your job is.”

“Guess the only girl I could date here would be you.”

“Ew!” Shane laughed.

“Ew? I’ve never been called that before.”

“Don’t talk to me right now,” I said walking away.

“Come on, Bella please don’t be like that.”

Please don’t be like that? What the hell happened to the Shane Gray that came to this camp a few weeks ago?

“Isabella!” I stopped walking and turned around to see a flustered Shane.

“Stop being nice to me!”

“Why? Why can’t I be nice? What if I wanted things to go back to how they were before?”

“I don’t!” He laughed uneasily.

“I know you don’t mean that. Come on, we were reminiscing on all the good times yesterday, what happened to that?”

“Nothing will ever be the same Shane. You lost my respect three years ago.” Shane rolled his eyes and walked away from me. Too bad he wasn’t walking out of my life. As he walked away I looked down at my feet; there was dirt everywhere. I smiled to myself and picked up a handful of dirt and ran to Shane.

“Shane, don’t be a baby,” I said. I was glad he didn’t turn around yet since I smacked his ass and left a huge mud stain right on his left cheek. “Attababe.”

“What did you just do?” I hid my right hand behind my back and laughed.

“I smacked your buttocks, got a problem?”

“What’s in your hand?” I showed him my left hand. “The other hand.”

“Nothing.” He walked closer to me and reached for my hand.

“Why’s it muddy?” He looked at his pants. “Did you put mud on me?” I laughed.

“Oh yeah.”

“Why?” he shouted getting furious.

“Felt like it.”

“And you called me a baby? That was rude of you.” I scoffed.

“Come on, I told you not to wear those stupid pants. Maybe if you wore a darker color, you wouldn’t be so upset.” Shane bent down and picked up a clump of dirt and threw it straight at my chest. It left a brown, muddy stain on my brand new t-shirt.

“Hey, that’s not fair! I just got this shirt!”

“And these pants will never be the same!”

“And that’s my fault?”

“Yes, because you’re a brat!”

“There’s my Shane, he’s back!” Shane looked pretty pissed off, but I didn’t expect what was about to happen to happen. He threw me over his shoulder and walked off even though I was kicking him and punching every inch of his body I could.

“Shane! Put me down this instant!”

“Or what?” I had no clue where he was walking to since the only thing I could see was his muddy ass and the leaves on the ground.

“Shane, where are you taking me? I told you that-” I felt Shane stop walking and noticed what he was standing on. “Shane, don’t! I will murder you!”

He removed me from his shoulders and I felt myself being thrown into the freezing, cold lake. After about three seconds, I finally resurfaced and saw Shane standing there with a grin plastered on his face.

“I can’t swim!” I lied so I can get him back.

“Yeah, whatever. I know you can.” I kept going under the water and resurfacing so he’d fall for it.

“Shane, I’m serious! Help me, please!” He still stood there doing nothing.

Time for me to be dramatic.

I stopped resurfacing and stood under the water. I could hold my breath for a good minute and a half – tops. Okay, this was getting too much. I went to the other side of the dock and saw Shane was no longer there. I hoisted myself up and stood soaking wet on the dock.

“What a jerk,” I said thinking Shane completely left me there to drown.

“Bella! Where the hell are you?” Shane said. I looked at the lake and Shane was actually in it, looking around the water. How sweet!

Not.

“Hey, you do care!” I yelled out. He turned around and looked at me in awe.

“How’d you get up there? I thought you were drowning!” I laughed.

“So you do care,” I repeated. Shane swam over to the deck and held his hand out as if asking for me to help him. “I got up here on my own, so can you.”

“Don’t you think you owe me one nice thing for the day?”

“If you pull me in, you’re dead.”

Idiot move on me. Of course he pulls me in making me go under once again.

“So are we even now or what?” I asked.

“I lost count, but this beats a canoe ride.”

“Not really. At least I could have had a chance to not get wet.”

“Know what beats a stupid canoe ride?” I felt something touch my waist. I hoped it was a giant squid or something. But it felt more like a hand.

“Shane.”

“Stop lying to yourself Bella.” He pulled me closer to him and his face was mere inches from mine. I felt his hot breath hit my face. I noticed every beauty mark on his face and his perfectly aligned teeth.

I knew in a matter of seconds he’d lean in from that kiss he’s been wanting for years.

“Bella? Shane?” We both turned our heads to see none other than my dad standing there with his arms crossed.

“What the hell is going on?”

I had nothing to say. There was no explaining why we were in the lake milliseconds away from kissing each other.

“Uh…”

“She fell in. I jumped in after her to make sure she was okay.” My dad cocked his eyebrow since I knew he didn’t believe Shane’s story. I mean who would?

“Get out of there and get dried up, okay?” We both nodded as my dad walked away leaving us still in the lake.

“Can you remove your hand?” I said. Our little moment was ruined anyways. Shane removed his hand and I swam to the lake and pulled myself up. Shane followed as I was already halfway down the dock.

I loved my dad for showing up when he wasn’t wanted. I didn’t want Shane’s lips on mine. There wasn’t enough toothpaste in the world to get his saliva removed from my mouth.

Then again, I hated my dad with passion for ruining my one and only chance I had to make out with the guy I’ve secretly loved from day one.
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't like this chapter that much either.
Comments?