Tell Me a Fairytale

No Worries

I woke up to heavy creaks as Miss Fisher walked up the stairs. Realizing I was still attached to Vanessa, I tried to move back to my own bed, but I only got as far as escaping from Vanessa's grip before Miss Fisher opened the door and walked in.

She looked quizzically at me and asked, "What are you doing in Vanessa's bed?"

"I'm waking her up," I replied plainly. That was true, after all—Vanessa had started to stir when I moved her arms off me. I shouted her name.

Groaning, Vanessa slowly started to shift out of bed.

Miss Fisher nodded, passed me the telephone, and left the room.

"Hello?" I spoke into the phone.

"Good morning," Spencer welcomed me warmly.

"Oh, hey!" I exclaimed. Vanessa was now mostly awake, and she seemed to understand some of what was going on, because she moved closer to me so she could hear. "You really meant it when you said 'very soon'."

"I most definitely did," Spencer laughed. "What are you up to?"

"I just woke up a few seconds ago," I told him. "Actually, you woke me up."

"My apologies. You can go back to sleep if you'd like, and I'll call you when it's more convenient."

"No, it's fine," I assured him, yawning. "I'm about to go have breakfast and head back to the fair. Unless you have something better in mind..."

"Fair sounds good," he replied. "But don't walk; I'll pick you up. Where are you?"

I gave Mrs. Fisher's house address to the stranger, and said, "I've got a few friends that could use a lift too."

"No worries," he laughed. "I've got you covered. See you in a bit."

"Goodbye," I said, and hung up the phone.

"That was him, wasn't it?" Vanessa asked. Her eyes pleaded with me to say that it wasn't, but I couldn't lie.

"Yes," I told her. She looked as though I had just stabbed her. "Spencer is just going to drive us to the park," I continued, but it didn't seem to help. I took Vanessa's hand, and she looked into my eyes. "Ness, I love you."

Disregarding me, Vanessa took her hand out of mine and pulled her Book of Shadows out from under her pillow. She lied back and buried her face in it, like she always did when she didn't want to talk.

I looked at the back of her book, wishing I could show her how I felt, but there was no getting inside Vanessa's head or her heart without her permission.