Tell Me a Fairytale

Control Freak

"It's cold," Vanessa complained, cuddling ever closer to me as we waited in line. We got rid of Maddie and Emily right away when our choice of rides severely conflicted, but Vanessa hadn't left my side since we arrived.

"You can have my coat," Spencer offered, withdrawing when Vanessa looked hatefully at him. Within the past hour or two, Vanessa had made clear to Spencer her passionate disdain for him. He futilely continued to be kind to her, but he would never earn any of Vanessa's respect. She viewed him as no more than competition, and all competition had to be eliminated.

Suddenly, Spencer fished into the pocket of his jeans and retrieved his phone. After reading a text message, he punched in a phone number and started to walk out of the line. With the phone to his ear, he said to me, "Save my spot."

I waited until I could no longer see him, then I turned to Vanessa and asked, "What's wrong with you?"

"What do you mean?" She stared at the ground.

"You're being really rude to him," I told her. "All he did was try to help."

"I don't want his help," she said, snidely.

I sighed. "What will I have to do to prove that my heart belongs to you?"

Before Vanessa could reply, Spencer was back. "My friend Ryan is going to show up in a few minutes," he told us. "He's a really fun guy. You two will like him."

Looking at Vanessa, I could tell she didn't like that Spencer was taking control. Neither of us knew who Ryan was, but Vanessa was ready to tell Spencer to call him back and ask him not to come, just to show she had power too.

Before Vanessa could attack Spencer, we were let on the ride. Each bumper car was supposed to fit only two people, so when the ride operator saw Vanessa trying to wedge herself in with Spencer and me, he, almost politely, reminded us of the rules.

I looked at Vanessa, then at Spencer, and just as he was about to give in, I blurted out, "I'd rather drive my own car anyway."

What I had failed to notice was, there remained but one empty bumper car. I watched as Spencer and Vanessa filed into the seat—Vanessa behind the wheel, of course—and readied myself for a bumpy ride.