Status: I'm sorry, guys. I'm so busy with uni coursework and I have major writer's block. I promise you I'll finish this, and I assure you the sequel's actually partly written! <3

I Left The Lights On So You Stumble In Devotion

No Dawn, No Day: Part 1

Even though it happened- he witnessed it happen and he played a major part in getting it to happen- Evgeni was just as amazed as the people who watched behind their television screens. Whether it was because they wanted it that bad or just because they’d fluked out: the Pittsburgh Penguins would be playing game seven against the Detroit Red Wings for the Stanley Cup.

Nobody spoke words when they left the ice, it was pure noise from yelling and everybody smiled brighter and heavier than what felt like ever before. Evgeni probably looked happiest out of them all, feeling happy to see his parent’s (with Oxsana next to them) proudly looking down at him. He locked eyes with Oxsana for a short moment, and he wondered to himself if Oxsana cheered his name along with his mother.

“We did it.” muttered Sidney quietly, skating past him with a wide grin sprawled across his face.

Evgeni gave a pleasant smile back, turning his head back towards his parents in the stands. They weren’t watching anymore, they were leaving the stands with Oxsana following behind them. Evgeni noticed how most of the males in the stands watched Oxsana intently, some of them grinning and whispering to each other while pointing.

“Who’s that?”

Max glided over, nodding in the direction of Oxsana walking by in the stands, and Evgeni instantly knew that he was wondering the same thing as the other men staring at her: who was the intoxicatingly beautiful girl following his parents?

“Oxsana.” said Evgeni, trying to use as little enthusiasm in his tone as possible.

“Who?” questioned Max curiously, his eyes still darting across the ice towards the stands.

“Oxsana Kondakov. Family friend.”

“Right, ‘family friend’.” Evgeni felt uncomfortable as Max winked at him.

Evgeni knew he would not hear the end of Oxsana if any of his teammates besides Sidney found out that she was staying in his apartment, but the possible taunting and teasing from his teammates was not what had his stomach tied in a knots. The problem was that in the back of Evgeni’s head, he knew that his teammates would not hesitate to fling themselves at Oxsana if they knew that Evgeni wasn’t interested.

***

“You always dream of that opportunity…”

Evgeni listened carefully, watching as Sidney and Marc sat calmly in their chairs. Normally he didn’t watch the press conferences, but this was different. He was too excited, maybe hopeful, to calmly sit in the dressing room and wait for Sidney. Bylsma was close by, possibly keeping an eye on the distance between them. He didn’t care at this moment if Bylsma saw them leaving together, especially since he knew that this would be one of the last times they would leave together this season. There would be only one more game, and it was the only game this year that seemed to matter at that point.

It amazed Evgeni at how the reporters hung on every sentence and word that came out of Sidney’s mouth. They all watched him so intently, clinging to every detail that he’d give. Evgeni was sure that it would have been impossible for them to stare any harder. Every now and then Sidney would glance over to see Evgeni still standing there and watching. Sidney didn’t have to smile to let Evgeni know that he was happy that Evgeni was there waiting for him; Evgeni could almost sense it by his movements, and the fact that his eyes were glowing.

“Are you going to be busy tonight?” asked Sidney curiously, eyeing Evgeni suspiciously from the corner of his eyes.

Everybody they’d walk by seemed to stare at them and either smile or congratulate them; Evgeni just hoped that they wouldn’t catch pieces of his conversation with Sidney. Sidney was getting into a habit of being overly loud and public when it came to talking about their relationship. It was kind of petrifying, but thrilling at the same time because of the incredible risk they were constantly at.

“No, probably sleep.” replied Evgeni, thinking in his head that the answer was fairly obvious. “Why?”

“Think you can be ready to go out with me in about…” Sidney stopped to look at his watch. “…an hour?”

“Why?” asked Evgeni curiously.

“I’ve got to do something, and I’d like it if you were there.” responded Sidney.

Evgeni listened carefully to the vagueness of Sidney’s sentences. His expression was mildly difficult to read, Evgeni was unsure of how to process what Sidney could possibly be thinking.

“Okay.” mumbled Evgeni, still feeling a small amount of suspicion as to what Sidney could possibly be talking about.

Evgeni kept his suspicion to himself, driving home once again with the minimal amount of concentration on the road. It would take a good lie to be able to convince his mother he had to leave with Sidney for an ‘important reason’. It would be too obvious that they weren’t practicing, and it would be far too late to be going nearly anywhere.

With his door swinging in front of him to show a quiet and dark apartment, Evgeni threw his bag down on the floor and made his way through the hallway. The damp shirt that he’d been wearing was now being lifted up over his shoulders; Evgeni held it in his hands as he continued to walk to his bedroom. While quickly glancing into the kitchen, he saw Oxsana sitting quietly at his table by herself.

Oxsana’s hair was pulled back into a ponytail, she was wearing thick, square glasses. Her lips were curled into a frown as she read a paper in front of her, her back slightly slouched against the chair she was leaning on. Evgeni felt his lips twitch a little as he watched her push her glasses up higher on her nose and yawn.

“Evgeni?” Evgeni shook his head, yawning himself before saying ‘sorry’.

Oxsana took off her glasses before scoffing at Evgeni for peering in at her, her expression was much more playful now rather than bored.

Great game.” added Oxsana.

“Thanks.” muttered Evgeni awkwardly as he walked slowly through the kitchen to lean up against table.

Your parents are asleep.” explained Oxsana, her head nodding towards the paper on the table. “I’m not tired.”

Evgeni just nodded before grabbing a bottle of water from the refrigerator. Oxsana almost looked relieved at the thought of another person occupying the same room. It almost hurt to think that someone could feel that lonely while being a guest at his house.

It was at that moment his phone decided to ring. It felt like the loudest noise as it echoed out from his jeans pocket. Oxsana peered over, waiting for Evgeni to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Hey.” Sidney sounded pleasant. “I’m waiting for you, so hurry.”

“Okay.” muttered Evgeni, shutting his phone and replacing it back into his jeans pocket.

Going somewhere?” asked Oxsana.

Evgeni nodded, still standing in the kitchen with his coat on.

You can come…” suggested Evgeni, hesitating before saying, “…if you want.”

The smile on Oxsana’s face stretched out high on her cheeks, she quickly grabbed her coat off of the chair she was sitting on and stood next to Evgeni.

Where are we going?”

With Sidney.” responded Evgeni.

Evgeni wondered to himself as they both left his apartment if Sidney was planning to do something special. Sidney would be mildly annoyed if Oxsana ruined some sort of dorky romantic plan he’d had just for the two of them. Evgeni hoped Sidney wouldn’t say something, especially not to embarrass him.

Evgeni, is it alright with Sidney if I come?” Oxsana sounded insecure.

Yes, it will be fine.

The questioning look at Sidney’s face when they both got into the vehicle clearly said that things may not be fine. Sidney still smiled politely at Oxsana, greeting her as she shut her door behind her.

“Nice to see you again.” added Oxsana.

“Yeah, you too.” mumbled Sidney, grinning slyly at Evgeni while he rolled his eyes.

“Where are we going?”

“To pick up my parents from the airport.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is pure shit. I just feel too guilty.