Kissing You That Friday Night

Chapter Ten

"How about this one? It's gorgeous!" Kat holds up a bright pink, sparkling dress to my face.
I push it away, "Ugh, pink...Is so not my color." I continue to scan through the clearance rack at Macy's. I have 3 dresses in hand, all of which aren't even my size, but one is bound to fit. "Whatever." Kat puts the dress away and mummbles something, but I dont care what she says. "What's wrong?"
"What?" I spaced out for a minute and didn't know what Kat was talking about.
"You haven't really looked for any dresses and we've been her for over an hour. You have three dresses, i found like 20 different dresses for you, all of which you hate."
"I'm sorry, I'm just, thinking." I pick at my 3 week old manicure that was already beginning to chip off. It was the last manicure I said I was ever going to get because I found out how harmful the chemicals in nail polish remover are to the environment.
"About what?" Kat turns toward me and leans against the dress rack.
I start thinking about the dance with Ricky. I didn't quite understand still why he asked me, and it was making me curious. Was he dared? Has he liked me for a while but just never talked to me? "I don't understand why Ricky asked me to the dance. He never talked to me before then and now he's like buzzing around me like a fly. I'm not even that pretty and he could have any girl he wants...Why me? Why now?"
Kat takes a deep breath and blows out which blows her red waves off her face, "Look, you shouldn't be questioning the ways of Ricky Paul. Just be glad he asked you and not one of those blonde bimbo tramps he's always after."
I say nothing but stare at a peice of old gum stuck to the floor...The janitor must be on vacation. I find myself thinking about the worst possible things that could happen at the dance with Ricky, which is what I hate about myself. I'm such a pessimist.