Kissing You That Friday Night

Chapter Fifteen

"Gloria, I feel like a total b-," I cut myself off and looked at the small old lady in her rocking chair. She's looking up at me through those thick glasses of hers, hair looking whiter than ever. "A total..." I try to search for words besides the "b" word to finish my sentence without sounding like a potty mouth.
"A bitch?" Gloria finishes.
I almost laugh when I look down at the smiling old lady. I giggle, "Yeah."
"Well this is the first time you've ever mentioned this Aiden. Tell me more about him." Gloria says with her hands clasped together, listening intently.
I try to search for what words and descriptions of Aiden, but then I decide not to think about it much but to just tell Gloria the truth. She's been nothing less than truthful with me.
"Well he's a transfer student." True. "He's wicked smart." True, at least he seems to be. "But he bugs me a lot."...
"You've seemed to have paid a compliment to someone you're not fond of?" Gloria asks, curiously.
I retrace my words. What did I say about him. Oh, he's smart. Then I notice right after that I said he bugs me. How does that make sense? You don't compliment people you don't like.
"Well, he used to get on my nerves." I correct myself.
"Ah, I see. Now we're getting somewhere. Go on." Gloria motions with her hands for me to go on as though she's shooing me away.
"Well he's, like, my Biology lab partener...and stuff."
Gloria says nothing. So I continue.
"He comes over to my house some nights to work on our project."
"And how's that coming along?"
I think back to the one and only night we actually tried to work on our project, the first Friday he came over. We didn't get much done except maybe an exchange of notes. "We kind of just started working on it on our own time. I did half and I pray he did the other." I look down, just then remembering what happened earlier that day.
Gloria obviously notices. "You seem upset."
"Oh, it's nothing."
"Oh c'mon, darling. You'll never feel better until you say what needs to be said." Gloria peers at me with those wrinkled and sunken blue eyes.
"Well, he found out I'm going to the Spring Fling with a guy at my school, Ricky. I didn't know he found out and now he's going to the dance with this other girl, Jen." I choke out the words. I feel hurt inside just thinking about it.
"Hmm, I see. And you're upset about this, right?"
"Yeah, I guess."
"Aiden's grown on you, huh?" She smirks as though we've been gossiping about him since forever.
"I suppose." I look down to hide my smile.
It was about that time that I waited for Gloria's insight. Maybe a story about when she had a crush, or whatever. But no, not this time. Instead we went our seperate ways for the night. I prayed on my way home that maybe, just maybe, Aiden would be waiting on my doorstep. Eager to find out, I hurried along down my street. When I turned the corner with a little hope inside, I noticed he wasn't there. My smile faded.

Today was a bad day. I hadn't spoken to Aiden at all. I saw him talk to Jen a few times, though. I wasn't all that pleased about it.
When I got to the cafeteria I stood in line behind some gossipy, preppy girls. I shivered a little bit, just proof of my disgust. I'm an evesdropper so I listened in on their conversation as we all waited in the long lunch line.
"Yeah, I can't believe he's going with that Laila chick." Said voice number one that sounded oddly fimiliar. Did they even notice I was right there. I looked over at them but both their backs were toward me. Good, I wanted to listen in on this conversation.
"Ugh, I know. Totally gross." Said the other girl. "Hey Carly, do you have any lipgloss?"
Carly. Carly...Where have I heard that name? My mind raced back to yesterday in the girls bathroom. Carly was voice number one. I had never got a good look at her. I could only see Jen through the small crack in the bathroom door. I looked up just then and spotted the tall brown haired girl. She was wearing a plaid mini skirt and a pink tank top that said P!NK across the front. Thank you miss. points-out-the-obvious-a-lot. I wouldn't have known that was a pink shirt without the word Pink scribbled across your fake breats. I made a note in my mind of this girl. I had a feeling she had a lot of information about Jen and Aiden.
When the line finally moved up I managed to grab the last tuna sandwich and a green tea. I placed both on my tray and walked towards the tables. The usual table I sat at was empty. Kat was sick that day so that explained why she wasn't there and Tara had told me she needed to go to the Art room to finish up some extra credit project during lunch. I knew Aiden wouldn't be sitting there, he was upset with me. I gazed around the room and my eyes landed on Aiden, dark hair, bright smile, and a band tee. He was sitting with Jen and her possy, along with Carly. My heart sunk, I couldn't imagine someone like Aiden becomming one of them. Now I was mad. I bit my lip ring and gazed around the room for a seat. That's when I spotted Ricky. He was at the same table as Aiden and Jen only, he was sitting 2 people away from Jen. I don't know why I didn't notice his large build before. I then had a great idea...