Kissing You That Friday Night

Chapter Sixteen

"Hey Ricky." I said flirtfully as I placed my sandwich on the table and slid in the seat next to him.
"Um, hi, Laila." He managed a small smile and took a bite of his pizza.
I noticed Aiden looking at me out of the corner of my eye. His jaw was clenched, I could see that. This made me smile. I was making him jealous.
"So, are you excited about the dance?" I asked Ricky as I scooted closer to him.
"Yeah. It's gonna be a lot of fun." Ricky returned with a confused look on his face.
I didn't care, I just smiled. I then took a bit of my sandwich and listened in on all the other chatter around the table.
Then Jen spoke up. "So, Ricky are you and Laila going to Jake's party after the big dance?"
Ricky stopped chewing and glanced back and forth between me and Jen. He didn't say anything so I answered for him. "Yes, yes we are."
Jen seemed surprised by this and took a small sip of her blueberry smoothie. "Oh." She said. Jen is of course like every other popular girl, on a fad diet. She announced to the whole Biology class one day that she looked up a diet online and there was one where all you drink is Blueberry smoothies and eat whole grain crackers. She's dumb enough to believe it actually works. Someone wasn't paying attention during the Nutrition section in Health.
Ricky gave me a weird look. "Um, Laila, are you sure you want to go to Jake's party?" He asked.
"Of course." I said back and batted my eyelashes.

I woke up this morning feeling unusual. My stomach had major cramps and my back hurt tremendously. I knew this could only mean one thing. T.O.M. Tom was not welcome around me. We never got along. He always ticked me off and came on very heavily. Atleast for me. I hated how when my friends had Tom come to visit they only had to use panty liners because they never got it heavy. But I did. Talk about maxi pad AND heavy duty tampons...Tom also toyed with my emotions, which is why I woke up today wondering more than ever as to why Ricky asked me to the dance. I still had no understanding of it and prayed to god it wasn't a situation like one from Not Another Teen Movie where the main character girl gets played by the most popular guy in school on a bet he made with his friends. But the more I thought about it, the more the idea became more of a possibility.
I headed downstairs, adjusting my skinny jeans primarily to get comfortable. "Are you eating?" I heard Laura's voice come from the kitchen.
I turned to face her, "No, Laura..." I clutched my stomach and it gurgled, but not a hungry gurgle...
I turned back around and suddenly felt something pelt me in the back and crash on the floor. I picked up the container by my feet and turned it around in my hand to read the label "Midol". A sigh of relief escaped me and I opened the lid and popped two in my mouth and swallowed without water.
"Thanks, Laura." I smiled at her. She wasn't always a pain in the ass.
She smiled at me and continued to scramble what smelled like a comitnation of eggs and bacon.
I headed out the door early thinking I could get to school and get some writing done for my entry letter to the art academy. I hadn't written in forever, but I took what Gloria said to mind and decided I would continue to write in it as a journal. If painting and sculpting is a form of art, then so is writing and expressing. And that's exactly what I was doing.
It's been hard lately. My dad lost his job. Yeah. So now I don't even know if I can afford to go to this Academy if I don't win the best letter contest. We're pretty much broke until he finds a new job. And worst of all, the guy I've really started to grow to like is going to the Spring Fling with the one girl I dislike. As if life couldn't get more annoying, today is that time of the month. I'm expecting a lot of sadness and random happiness to come out of me today. It's uncontrolable. I one time convinceed myself and my dad that I had bipolar disorder and he took me to the doctor. When the doctor asked me if I was in that time of the month and I said yes, he glared at me for a moment then laughed. I know that doesn't really relate to my situation, but I thought it would add a nice touch to this letter.
I talked to Gloria the other day. She's a good old friend of mine. She actually reminds me a lot of my mother. She's very caring and wise. She always knows what to say, and never made a fuss out of any situation. I began to realize not long ago that the reason I was so close to Gloria was because she was so much like my mother. Gloria even wore a locket that looked just like the one my mother always used to wear. My mother wore a silver heart pendent with three diamonds in it, custom made. Each diamond stood for the family: Emma, my father, and I. Inside these words were ingraved, filling up both sides of the heart:
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.
-- Corinthians 13:7-8