Kissing You That Friday Night

Chapter Two

I have been going to Bethany Retirement Community for the past 2 years now. I remember my first visit there when I was 13 and I had gone with a group of kids from my church for community service. I needed hours for my Confirmation and thought playing bingo with seniors every Sunday afternoon for a month would be an easy way to rack up 8 hours. I wasn't excited at first, I thought about how stupid I must look being the youngest person in a smalll room of elders with terrible airconditioning. I was scared too. I had always got lucky at bingo and thought that if I won some senior would start blabbering away about what a bad child I am for interupting the biggest night of the week for them. Which is true of course, therere is no day that is more exciting to a senior in a retirement home than Sunday afternoon bingo. The excitement is equivilent to them as going to a famous club in LA is a for an 18 year old. My idea of the whole community service at Bethany changed when I met one amazing person. Even when the month long service ended and I managed to finish off my 20 hours of service, I still went back every Sunday to play bingo with Gloria.
"So how's school, darling?" Gloria looked up at me through her large yellowish tinted glasses.
I looked back at her highly magnified eyes behind the glasses, "It's alright. Nothing new really."
"Well what about that Art Academy program?" She asked as she flattened her floral skirt on her lap.
"I started wokring on the letter."
"And how's that going?" Gloria smiled at me, revealing pearly white dentures.
"It's becomming more of a diary of my life than it is an entry letter." I say and stare out the window in her living room.
"That could be a good thing, Laila. Art is all about expressing yourself, I'm sure there looking for a unique girl with an interesting perspective on life." She assured me.
"You think so?" I smiled but still glared out the window at a golden finch sitting on the edge of a hanging plant on the patio.
"Of course I do. You will for sure get into the Art Academy of my name isn't Gloria Anne Witherdew."
We exchanged small laughs. She then began to lift herself from the chair with a slight pain in her voice as she said "I've got to check on the tea on the stove." I quickly bolted an arm in her direction and retreived the cane from behind her chair. She patted me on the head once she was standing. "Thank you, dear." She said as she took the cane and hobbled over to the kitchen.