The Young and the Hopeless

Riot Girl

Joel's P.O.VO.

She struggled against the grip of the cop, her shirt untied and wide open to reveal her black bra. Finally, the officer managed to calm her down, and another uniformed man told her what she was being charged with.

"Battery? Bitch, I was defending myself! That dick was groping me after I'd told him to leave me alone."

"And indecent public exposure."

"I'm only publicly exposed because of you fuckwads! If you had just listened to my side of the story, I wouldn't have fought back."

"Ma'am, please quit screaming. It's causing a scene."

"A scene? You want a fucking scene? I'll give you one if you don't give get these damned handcuffs off of me."

"We're going to have to take you downtown. You'll have to remain in our custody until we get a hold of your parents."

"No! Don't call my dad. Please don't."

"I'm sorry, but we have to."

"I didn't do a god-damn thing."

"She's telling the truth," I spoke up suddenly. "He wouldn't leave her alone, even though she asked him politely multiple times to go away. Finally, she pushed him away from her. He tried to hit her. That's when you showed up."

"She'll still need to go downtown to file a report. Then she can call her parents."

"Will I need to go?"

"If you saw it all, yes."

The girl and I sat in the back of the police car, and I stared out the window as she fixed her top. She was muttering curse words under her breath when she suddenly stopped and gazed at me.

"I'm McKala."

"J-Joel."

"Cool. Can I get a ride home?"

"Yeah. I'm sure Mom'll give ya one."

"Wonderful."

Finally, my mother pulled up in the van, and McKala slid into the back. She gave vague directions until she said stop.

"Is this your house?" Mom asked.

"No. But it's close enough."

McKala jumped out before we could say anything, and Mom sighed.

"That girl could start a riot single-handedly."

"Yeah."

Little did I know, she'd become my riot girl.