The Young and the Hopeless

The Young and the Hopeless

"You'll never make something of your lives unless you apply yourselves." I rolled my eyes and continued clicking my tongue ring against my teeth. My teacher stopped talking and stared at me. "Ms. Oliver, am I boring you?"

"Quite honestly, yeah."

"Perhaps you'd like to teach class then?"

"Meh. I'd prefer not. That'd mean actually having to pay attention."

Paul choked back a laugh as the teacher's face turned a pale red. I smirked and tapped my fingers on the desk.

"Ms. Oliver is a classic example of someone who's life will turn out to be nothing. In fact, I can probably see her having kids and then leaving because it gets too difficult."

"Excuse the fuck outta me?" I hissed.

"And then she'll grow up a bit and a have a new family, forever forgetting the family she left behind."

"You fucking asshole. You have a lot of fucking nerve saying that shit."

"Like mother, like daugher."

"McKala!"

Paul held back my fist as I went to swing at the teacher again. The students behind me were staring wide-eyed at the scene.

"Go to the office now, young lady."

"Fine, but I am nothing like my fucking mother."

"Ms. Oliver, what are we going to do about you? You've gone too far this time. We're---"

"What papers do I need to fill out to drop out?"

"Excuse me?"

"What do I need to fill out? I'm not gonna stay here. I'm droppin' out."

"Um, ask Mrs. Reichart. McKala, this isn't the route to take. You'll get expelled for the rest of this year, but you'll be allowed to come back after summer."

"Don't you get it? I ain't comin' back. I'm just another one you'll label as nothing. I'm content with being part of the young and the hopeless."